Maybe getting a Ktuner. A few questions.

CXRs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla M3P, C6 Z51, VB WRX
Country flag
Hey all, so I'm looking at a ktuner for my wife's car(HBS CVT). My WRX is in the shop, and I'm using it for the next few weeks, so I'm trying to scratch my itch.

Question 1: is the V1.2 effectively the same as the V2, when linked through their app? Does this enable switching the maps on the fly? I saw the V2 also has customizations like BBG and throttle tuning?

Question 2: if running the dual map configuration, does eco mode allow for 87 octane? Or do I need to switch maps? This is also our road trip car, so sometimes we find ourselves in places with questionable fuel quality.

Question 3: is there any way to achieve different boost between drive, sport, and eco? Say, stage 0 map in drive eco, stage 1 in drive, stage 2 in sport, and stage 1 with higher revs in sport eco? Would this be something a dealer could do, or is that more than the ECU is capable of?

And final question: if I were to connect a flex kit, is there some sort of ktuner map that can compensate? Or is there a way for me to go into the actual file and configure it to add timing and boost proportionally with ethanol content?

If you've made it this far, thank you for any and all help! I've tried researching all of this with little luck.
Sponsored

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Hey all, so I'm looking at a ktuner for my wife's car(HBS CVT). My WRX is in the shop, and I'm using it for the next few weeks, so I'm trying to scratch my itch.

Question 1: is the V1.2 effectively the same as the V2, when linked through their app? Does this enable switching the maps on the fly? I saw the V2 also has customizations like BBG and throttle tuning?

Question 2: if running the dual map configuration, does eco mode allow for 87 octane? Or do I need to switch maps? This is also our road trip car, so sometimes we find ourselves in places with questionable fuel quality.

Question 3: is there any way to achieve different boost between drive, sport, and eco? Say, stage 0 map in drive eco, stage 1 in drive, stage 2 in sport, and stage 1 with higher revs in sport eco? Would this be something a dealer could do, or is that more than the ECU is capable of?

And final question: if I were to connect a flex kit, is there some sort of ktuner map that can compensate? Or is there a way for me to go into the actual file and configure it to add timing and boost proportionally with ethanol content?

If you've made it this far, thank you for any and all help! I've tried researching all of this with little luck.
1. V1.2 has all the same capabilities as V2 but without the monitor. You can still access realtime data via TunerView app and if you want to can use the Honda Hack to get the TunerView app on your head unit.

2. Most tunes require 91 as a minimum. I've asked KTuner about using 87 and they say they always recommend 91 but 87 could be used in some cases but power might be decreased. It isn't a good idea to use 87 though.

3. With the KTuner you can set up multiple maps and switch on the fly with each map having a different boost. The OTS tunes (Phearable and TSP) already have them set up this way. Changing between D and S won't do anything in regards to boost as that changes the transmission input but hitting the ECO button will change boost if it's mapped that way

I was more than willing to answer these questions, but just an FYI there are tons of threads on this site that go in depth about Ktuner and tuning. Look in the following sections or use the search and you should find a treasure trove of information.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/forums/engine-exhaust-transmission-tuning.5/

https://www.civicx.com/forum/forums/ktuner-discussions.81/

You can also go to the KTuner help website and it answers a lot of questions too:

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/

You said your research didn't find anything but you might not have just been researching in the right spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP

CXRs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1. V1.2 has all the same capabilities as V2 but without the monitor. You can still access realtime data via TunerView app and if you want to can use the Honda Hack to get the TunerView app on your head unit.

2. Most tunes require 91 as a minimum. I've asked KTuner about using 87 and they say they always recommend 91 but 87 could be used in some cases but power might be decreased. It isn't a good idea to use 87 though.

3. With the KTuner you can set up multiple maps and switch on the fly with each map having a different boost. The OTS tunes (Phearable and TSP) already have them set up this way. Changing between D and S won't do anything in regards to boost as that changes the transmission input but hitting the ECO button will change boost if it's mapped that way

I was more than willing to answer these questions, but just an FYI there are tons of threads on this site that go in depth about Ktuner and tuning. Look in the following sections or use the search and you should find a treasure trove of information.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/forums/engine-exhaust-transmission-tuning.5/

https://www.civicx.com/forum/forums/ktuner-discussions.81/

You can also go to the KTuner help website and it answers a lot of questions too:

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/

You said your research didn't find anything but you might not have just been researching in the right spots.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your patience, I was all over google for the answers, and tried the search function here with little luck. I'll try a different approach looking for answers on the flex fuel. Thanks!

ATLAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Thank you very much! I appreciate your patience, I was all over google for the answers, and tried the search function here with little luck. I'll try a different approach looking for answers on the flex fuel. Thanks!
I don't know much regarding flex fuel but generally you would have to go get a custom tune or another OTS tune that compensates for it. You can't use the base tunes or normal OTS tunes with flex fuel. I mean I guess you could try and adjust the boost and timing accordingly by yourself if you feel confident in doing so.

OP
OP

CXRs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The base tunes do support ethanol when the feature is enabled. You also have full control over compensations.
Thank you! I just ordered one, and am looking forward to hooking it up!
Sponsored