Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
This is from Hunterdude on Miata.net

“Many thanks for the warm welcome....I can share a detail in addition to the light weight that makes the Miata different to drive than a new Porsche, over the years Porsche has gotten Very refined....and rightly so I suppose for the very high price point, my 2018 Cayman is actually my 4th Porsche, But my first brand new Porsche...after driving it for a couple weeks I was speaking to my buddy and he said "what do you think of her"? I said I think it's my favorite out of 47 cars....but...there is something missing compared to my 1979 930 turbo....the turbo felt like a barely street legal race car...a lot more raw if you will...the Cayman feels like a banjo tight Lexus...shaped like a Porsche.
He said really? Give me an example?? I said ok, put your hand on Cayman shifter...he did...I have Cayman WOT to redline....then said could you feel anything at all about what just happened transmitted thru shifter...he said no...can not even tell it's running! Exactly!!!
Now on my ND2 test drive I could feel Everything thru shifter...like I had my fingers on the pulse of the engine, there are spots in the RPM range that the engine feels happy and smoothish... other RPM more rough or less balanced...Now I can't blame Porsche for being refined but the rawness of a race car that somehow passed safety inspection for roadworthy turns out to be the sports car experience I was longing for.”

He is from Michigan so I don’t feel bad stealing his description lol.
Ok.. i get EXACTLY what that user described but only because i drive an older bmw m5 from 1993. So i understand that roughness and rawness of a race car for the street. Individual throttle bodies and straight six.. exactly like he said, some rpm range is raw and some smoothens out and you can feel everything through the whole car not just transmission/shifter.

Having said that, are you looking for that in your civicx si? I am not understanding how that applies or what are you trying to explain with this “explanation.”

If youre missing the rawness like that guy, i dont think it may be attainable. Id think it has to do with shifter being on or in transmission itself vs cable or link connection to shifting mechanism which is then in the transmission itself.

What car do you come from and into the civic?
Sponsored

FlexRex

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX and M5
Country flag
Pulse of the engine.. im gonna have to use that. Best description.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
For the pulse of the engine feel, simply install a slightly stiffer Rear Motor Mount. I'm really impressed with the HardRace one (65A durometer), but the Hasport 62A gets high praises for just adding a hint of engine pulse too.

Last edited:

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
Nothing too extreme just a better feeling clutch I guess. I wouldn’t mind having more feel but that isn’t that huge of a deal to me.

I will look in to rear motor mounts, i know they aren’t that expensive and people seem to think it helps even in clutch feeling and engagement.

Thanks everyone

novadrive

For the pulse of the engine feel, simply install a slightly stiffer Rear Motor Mount. I'm really impressed with the HardRace one (65A durometer), but the Hasport 62A gets high praises for just adding a hint of engine pulse too.
Could not agree more. Added Cusco rear motor mount (stiffer than most I've seen around here) at around 2500 miles and it feels great. Very responsive.

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just don’t get the point in having a Si if you aren’t going to “drive it like you stole it” at times or are scared of WOT. Even more dumbfounded by the thought of not only that, but to tune and increase power only to never use it. I don’t launch the car very often but I do go WOT pretty much a time or two more days than not.

Anyway, to op, seems hit or miss with the clutch slippage. I’ve decided I don’t want to put a clutch in this car and definitely don’t want to pay money for a performance mod and then have to ‘baby’ the car. I just can’t wrap my head around that way of thinking.

Just wanted to say I have about 15k tuned miles on tsp stage 1 map 3 and I launch a lot, and quick shit A LOT! .... no issues with the clutch (2020 si sedan)

RoB y4h3ll

First Name
Deric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda civic Si sedan, 2016 Honda civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wanted to say I have about 15k tuned miles on tsp stage 1 map 3 and I launch a lot, and quick shit A LOT! .... no issues with the clutch (2020 si sedan)
Just realized I said shit in ny post lol

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
From what I've read, Exedy makes the stock clutch for the SI's, and it's rated from the (Exedy) factory at 235ft-lbs.
https://shop.exedyusa.com/exedy-rac...age-1-organic-clutch-kit/08809/i-7535728.aspx

Seeing how a 22 or 23 PSI tune will put you at the ~270 ft-lb mark, you're already topped out, and that's without full bolt-ons.

If you're not going WOT in the higher gears, and go easy by rolling onto the throttle down low in the RPM range, you can prolong the life of your clutch, but it is a wear item.

OP
OP
Doc_Mello

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts!

UPDATE: I’ve decided not to flash. I currently have a Mishi SRI, 2020 CTR shifter + Acuity Stage 2, and dropped on Tein Flex Zs over TSW Chronos. Decided to go ‘low & slow’, with great tactile feel of the car, so, flashing would be useless for me, which is fine because it saves the clutch. ??

mtlsi

First Name
just
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
3yrs 50 000km (26 000) miles all on tsp stage 1 map 3 and now on phearable stage 1.5 map 3 whit a good fair of spirited driving and 3 4 5 gears pulls and the clutch is still good

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts!

UPDATE: I’ve decided not to flash. I currently have a Mishi SRI, 2020 CTR shifter + Acuity Stage 2, and dropped on Tein Flex Zs over TSW Chronos. Decided to go ‘low & slow’, with great tactile feel of the car, so, flashing would be useless for me, which is fine because it saves the clutch. ??
You can still flash the car with a canned tune like TSP or Phearable and just drive around on Map 1. That's what I do with the Phearable Stage 1.5 tune, even after I upgraded my clutch, flywheel, and CMC.

OP
OP
Doc_Mello

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can still flash the car with a canned tune like TSP or Phearable and just drive around on Map 1. That's what I do with the Phearable Stage 1.5 tune, even after I upgraded my clutch, flywheel, and CMC.
That's true. I guess what I mean is that I'd never use the extra power, so, going through all of that, + the cost, + the potential risk to the clutch isn't worth it to me.

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My question to the ones that loose a clutch before 5,000 miles is How hard do you drive the car daily. I have 11,000 on mine 3,000 tuned TSP 1 map 3 and it is fine. I finally save for my PRL CAI, but I used the money to buy AMC stocks that way I can do more mods after they go to the moon. ?. Seriously once I cash out planning to put PRL CAI and a down pipe. I would not worry about the clutch because I know that the car might have around 250 Tq but I wont be using the whole 250 tq if I drive like a normal human been. Are you street racing from light to light in your way to walmart? If you drive like a regular human being the clutch and and your engine will last you forever even if tune and with a few specs. If you are doing burnouts daily your clutch might not last too long is not a race clutch is just a factory clutch and not one of the strongest.
Sponsored