Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey, y’all! I promise I searched through the forums before posting this. :D

For my ‘19 Si Coupe, I’d like to do Ktuner’s dual Factory/Sport maps, a CAI, and exhaust, but I am hoping that the stock clutch will hold. I’d reeeeally not like to go deeper into the engine, if possible.

Thoughts? In your collective wisdom, do you think it’s possible to use this mod combination reliably?

Thank you!
Sponsored

H3llsp4wn707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 wrx
Country flag

For my ‘19 Si Coupe, I’d like to do Ktuner’s dual Factory/Sport maps, a CAI, and exhaust, but I am hoping that the stock clutch will hold. I’d reeeeally not like to go deeper into the engine, if possible.

Thoughts? In your collective wisdom, do you think it’s possible to use this mod combination reliably?

Thank you!
Just drive it until the clutch stops engaging or starts slipping. You're not going to be making much more power than stock so im sure the clutch will be fine for awhile.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thank you!
THIS and THIS

OP
OP
Doc_Mello

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
I say once you do a stage 1 tune the clutch will slip with a few bolt ons

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I don’t know... if you’re like taking off and launching from 0 or WOT constantly then yeah your clutch will probably wear out quicker. I’m on map 3 on TSP tune but I don’t push the car. Rarely ever go past 5k rpm and when I feel any oddness, I immediately let off the gas. So far, I don’t have any clutch slip and I have a CAI, Frontpipe and exhaust system installed (soon to be Downpipe).

Just don’t drive it like you stole it and you should be fine for awhile. If you do decide to go crazy, either limit yourself or switch to a less boosted map. I think understanding the power curve after a tune can help you drive in a more safer way (WOT AFTER 4K rpms).

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I agree with neOguri.
I drove 6000km ( about 4000mi ) with the original clutch after i modified
my engine ( 340 wtq ) then I changed to an FX 300. I still have the original
clutch in a cardboard box and the disc is not really worn out.
Avoid launch, WOT and all brutalities and your clutch will last a long time.
A little advice: If you change clutch, change flywheel too.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just don’t get the point in having a Si if you aren’t going to “drive it like you stole it” at times or are scared of WOT. Even more dumbfounded by the thought of not only that, but to tune and increase power only to never use it. I don’t launch the car very often but I do go WOT pretty much a time or two more days than not.

Anyway, to op, seems hit or miss with the clutch slippage. I’ve decided I don’t want to put a clutch in this car and definitely don’t want to pay money for a performance mod and then have to ‘baby’ the car. I just can’t wrap my head around that way of thinking.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just don’t get the point in having a Si if you aren’t going to “drive it like you stole it” at times or are scared of WOT. Even more dumbfounded by the thought of not only that, but to tune and increase power only to never use it. I don’t launch the car very often but I do go WOT pretty much a time or two more days than not.

Anyway, to op, seems hit or miss with the clutch slippage. I’ve decided I don’t want to put a clutch in this car and definitely don’t want to pay money for a performance mod and then have to ‘baby’ the car. I just can’t wrap my head around that way of thinking.
The point isn’t that you should baby the car. It’s that if you’re concerned about the shitty lightass OEM clutch slipping, then you shouldn’t drive it crazy especially if you cannot afford a new clutch right now. I mean pick your poison:

A: Drive aggressive, burn out the clutch and drop $1000+ for new kit

Or

B: Don’t go crazy and you can save money for the clutch (especially if you can’t afford it right now).

Plus you missed my last point, I WOT all the time. I just do it after 4K rpm because the power spikes at around that range with the tune. Tip for OP, don’t upshift too much and stay at gears 2 or 3 if you want to do a lot of pulls. That way you can keep the rpm over 3k and have the turbo constantly spooled.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
MattyNice,
I am not afraid to drive fast , to go WOT if I am at 3000 rpm or more, once the clutch has stuck.
Believe me, I use all the power of my engine and I sometimes compete with BMWs, AUDIs,
GTIs...and I am not the one who is behind.
What I mean is that you have to drive intelligently, respect the ability of the parts to take
the effort you impose on them.
But if you prefer to keep your car stock, it is your choice and I respect it.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree with neOguri.
I drove 6000km ( about 4000mi ) with the original clutch after i modified
my engine ( 340 wtq ) then I changed to an FX 300. I still have the original
clutch in a cardboard box and the disc is not really worn out.
Avoid launch, WOT and all brutalities and your clutch will last a long time.
A little advice: If you change clutch, change flywheel too.
How many miles you think you drove with stock clutch plus the high torque setup? I’m really hoping I can save the clutch until next year when ACT releases their kit sometime in the Fall. As much as I baby the car, my new exhaust system has me flying around again lol.

Travie_FC3

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

I agree with you 100%. If you're treating your SI like that, why not just get an EX-T and save the extra money. You go from 195 ft lbs to 320 and you drive it even softer? Why? What a waste of money to modify in the first place.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
neOguri,
If you are not very hard on the clutch, I think you will be able to drive possibly between 6 and 10000 mi.
I am telling you this because mine lasted at least 4000 mi.
She wasn' t slipping but I was afraid of having problems and I ordered an FX 300 from Procar Studio
because there is no special parts for the SI, here. Even in the U.S. there is not many choice:
Clutchmasters or nothing. It was in winter 2018 ( feb ).
When the order came in, I had the clutch mounted.
To my great surprise, the disc showed only normal wear and tear and even the mecanic told me
he could have lasted a long time.
I hope this reassures you and does't mislead me in my predictions.
Good luck with your clutch.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
We've had owners burn through clutches within 4K at stock power levels. All dependent on how it's driven.

A 50% increase in torque theoretically means a 50% drop in clutch life, all other things held constant.

To sum up from other members, to get the most out of your clutch:
  • Avoid no lift shifts
  • Minimize full throttle starts from a dig
  • Avoid WOT under 3K
Sponsored