mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So I recently got my Ktuner V2 installed and running Starter 21PSI Dual for the last few days and just want to say I absolutely LOVE IT. This thing is sick, makes me look forward to driving my car every morning.

Now onto my question, sorry if this has been asked before,

I'm curious what I can do to maximize fuel economy while in ECO. I get that the default function is to return it to factory boost but what can I do to get the best fuel economy possible out of my little 1.5t CVT. I usually run 91 octane and have absolutely no bolt-ons currently. I couldn't care less if it makes the car sluggish during ECO, I just do a lot of city driving so my MPG usually sucks ass anyway

Thanks guys
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
naldy

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Glad you're enjoying!

Just stay out of the throttle!
I'm just curious how some people are pushing out high 40's and even 50's. I've only been able to cross 30 on long road trips (highest being 36 mpg). Figured lowering boost to below factory might help

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I'm just curious how some people are pushing out high 40's and even 50's. I've only been able to cross 30 on long road trips (highest being 36 mpg). Figured lowering boost to below factory might help
I don’t even trust the onboard counter on that 50+mpg that others get.

OP
OP
naldy

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don’t even trust the onboard counter on that 50+mpg that others get.
figured the 50's were from people who filled up, then cruised down a hill for 5 mins. but i've seen 40's pretty consistently

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Just like minimizing lap times, one of the best modifications for improving fuel economy is a driver mod. Try to use your brakes as little as possible. Every time you touch the brakes you're throwing away momentum and you need fuel to recover it. Stay out of boost whenever you can. Do you use cruise control on the highway? What's your cruising speed?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Let me try to explain how this all works. It's really not a matter of tuned or untuned. And don't get me started on the uselessness that is the Econ button...

Mileage is mainly about two factors. Your right foot and the environment in which you drive. No need to lower boost on your tune. Just keep your rpms down and steady. That's why city mpg is always so bad. It's a yo-yo of boost and no boost in stop and go traffic. And of course all that idling at stoplights.

The reason Econ is so lame is that with it's reduced throttle response you need to use more throttle so there goes your mileage.

As far as why one guy gets 45mpg and you get 35mpg, it's that environment thing. Ambient temps, humidity, elevation, curves, hills on and on. But the biggest killers overall are city stop and go and just keeping those rpms up too high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
naldy

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Let me try to explain how this all works. It's really not a matter of tuned or untuned. And don't get me started on the uselessness that is the Econ button...

Mileage is mainly about two factors. Your right foot and the environment in which you drive. No need to lower boost on your tune. Just keep your rpms down and steady. That's why city mpg is always so bad. It's a yo-yo of boost and no boost in stop and go traffic. And of course all that idling at stoplights.

The reason Econ is so lame is that with it's reduced throttle response you need to use more throttle so there goes your mileage.

As far as why one guy gets 45mpg and you get 35mpg, it's that environment thing. Ambient temps, humidity, elevation, curves, hills on and on. But the biggest kiilers overall are city stop and go and just keeping those rpms up too high.
ahh good to know, thanks man

OP
OP
naldy

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Just like minimizing lap times, one of the best modifications for improving fuel economy is a driver mod. Try to use your brakes as little as possible. Every time you touch the brakes you're throwing away momentum and you need fuel to recover it. Stay out of boost whenever you can. Do you use cruise control on the highway? What's your cruising speed?
on long road trips i use cruise but not when just driving around town on the highway. i usually set it to around 80 when i do though

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
on long road trips i use cruise but not when just driving around town on the highway. i usually set it to around 80 when i do though
I get way better mpg when I do NOT use cruise control. You can generally keep the same speed or dip down 1-2 mph but have much lower rpm by doing it yourself compared to cruise control.

I would stand to argue I lose over 5 mpg with cruise control compared to not. I generally can get about 32-33 mpg with cruise control. Without cruise control, I can get 38-39 mpg. If I really hypermile it, I can get over 40.

I think that a lot of us forget that the people who get over 40mpg all the time are the mostly people who hypermile, as in use different proven methods to absolutely maximize fuel efficiency. Even including going slower than the speed limit because it sits you at lower rpms, despite how frustrating this may be for the driver behind them :banghead: :banghead:

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Mid 30s MPG sounds about right for that cruising speed. 40 mpg at 80 mph probably won't happen unless you have a good tailwind.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Another thing that is affecting fuel mileage is the tires you’re using. With the stock contiprocontact on my sport hatch, I was able to hit 40mpg which is the highest I can get at that time. I switched to a stickier Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and increased the width from 235 to 245, highest I got was 35mpg.

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
I have an Si and will be tuning it soon. Yeah, I would love to have great mileage but I didn't buy an Insight for a reason, you know? That doesn't mean that I'm driving like crazy, and I hate people who race up to red lights, but I'm going to goose the car when I get a chance because it's fun and that (along with the handling) is why I bought it.

Last edited:

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
figured the 50's were from people who filled up, then cruised down a hill for 5 mins. but i've seen 40's pretty consistently
I've gotten 50's during long, level drives. As soon as ya start hitting hills, that mpg dives quickly
Sponsored