Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
I'm looking for new tires for my wife's car. She has a 2018 SI Sedan and has clipped the occasional curb so I want to go with wider tires (IE that will be wider than the rims). I already tried searching the forum for this topic so if it was posted elsewhere I apologize. I was thinking about going with 255/35/18's on the 18 X 8 stock wheel. has anyone else had experience with this?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking for new tires for my wife's car. She has a 2018 SI Sedan and has clipped the occasional curb so I want to go with wider tires (IE that will be wider than the rims). I already tried searching the forum for this topic so if it was posted elsewhere I apologize. I was thinking about going with 255/35/18's on the 18 X 8 stock wheel. has anyone else had experience with this?
I think it will look off and handle like shit. You're talking about a 10" tire width on an 8" wheel. That size would be MUCH better on a wider wheel.

Truthfully, 235 is plenty wide for 8" and offers pretty good curb protection. Tell your wife to be more careful around curbs. Lol

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
225 or 235 is recommended on a 8" wheel with 245 being the largest size to run properly. 255 might not seal properly on the edge of the wheel.

Edit: I'm reading on some other forums about people putting 285s on a 8" wheel! You might be able to get away with 255/35. Your rolling diameter would decrease by about 1.5% with that size.

You could opt for 245/40 and have more width and sidewall and be within 1.2% of your OEM diameter

Last edited:
OP
OP
Irish-R

Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
I think it will look off and handle like shit. You're talking about a 10" tire width on an 8" wheel. That size would be MUCH better on a wider wheel.

Truthfully, 235 is plenty wide for 8" and offers pretty good curb protection. Tell your wife to be more careful around curbs. Lol
Trust me, I've told her many times.... 235/40 is the stock size and offers zero protection for the rim. 255/35 is only .3 wider on each side and a tad shorter, no more than 2 mph difference. I've seen other posts on the net; some saying it works, some saying it doesn't. I was just curious what experience you guys have had. As long as they fit and don't rub I'm willing to give it a try. She doesn't drive as aggressively as I do. I think that the Civic wheel wells are pretty large as I swapped my stock wheels for 18's on my Type R. The tires on my Type R are 275/35's with no rubbing (1.1" increase in total width)

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Just look at tires that offer a lip around the wheel that protects it.
summer tires: Michelin PS4S
All seasons: Continental ContiProContact
I’m sure there’s way more tires, but these are the one I know for sure that have that protective ridge

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
She’ll just slice up the sidewall of tires that wide. Then you’ll be buying a new tire every time she curbs it. Fuel economy will suffer and the speedo will be off because you aren’t running the correct diameter tire either.

Just let her trash the stock rims in the starbucks drivethru. Then when they’re completely destroyed, you can buy another set from someone here for 400$.

She’ll feel it more when metal is contacted and it might get her to be more aware of making wider turns.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Switched to 235/40 to 245/35 its amazing
Sponsored