Max horsepower

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
As someone else mentioned, every dyno is different.

I don’t think any type Rs have cracked 400whp with factory style ECU and stock turbo and stock fueling systems (assuming the baseline run was around 300-310 whp)

All the ones you’ve seen posted in here are with upgraded turbos etc.

Lots of 375-385 whp cars, but at that level you’re getting right near 400wtq, which, as someone else mentioned, is probably the upper limit of the rods before failure and also you’re limited by the MAF voltage and fueling right around this mark too

BustAXX

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r fk8
Country flag
oh ok ok okay I had not found out if he was telling me joking.
Thanks

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
we are working on a completion kit for the Radium Port Injection setup. But really even with proper tuning you are pushing your luck with the bottom end when going over 400whp as it is. We only really recommend going that far if building the block.
K20C1 is kind of a letdown to me so far as a tunable turbo 4. It has massive fueling limitations, it can’t rev, and you’re saying the bottom end can’t handle much.

I’d say the failure point is more based on torque limitations than hp, though. If it could rev and be supplied ample fuel, it should be able to make lots more than 400whp on the stock bottom end. Too bad the valvetrain won’t accommodate the rpm to find out.

One thing is for certain, it’s going to be substantially more expensive to make fast that many of its peers.

Last edited:

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
If fueling is sorted and the turbo is replaced, I don't see why it can't make 500WHP at the top end without upgrading the bottom end. 400WTQ at 7k RPM is 533WHP.

Are there limitations beyond the high-pressure fuel pump spec that prevent revving above 7k? If the motor could rev to 8k, things would be much more interesting.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
If fueling is sorted and the turbo is replaced, I don't see why it can't make 500WHP at the top end without upgrading the bottom end. 400WTQ at 7k RPM is 533WHP.

Are there limitations beyond the high-pressure fuel pump spec that prevent revving above 7k? If the motor could rev to 8k, things would be much more interesting.
Sorting out the fueling limitations will be very costly.

Any turbo that can make 400wtq at 7000rpm on a 2.0 liter is going to be a lag monster and optimized for much higher rpm than 7k. That’s also a lot more torque than I want to be pushing for longevity in an open deck aluminum block engine.

The valvetrain isn’t designed for high rpm at all, and experiences valve float at 7300rpm.

Turbo options are also limited with the integrated headifold. Expensive all around.

It will be cheaper to just move to another platform entirely than to have a high powered K20C1. This car is at its best as a handling monster anyway.

AhmedTitef

@slow_fk8
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2017 CIVIC HB ex , 2005 BMW 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
this engine is capable like any engine if we have an upgraded fuel pump and some ethanol. all the 2.0 turbocharged competitions struggled from lack of fuel and when they went with better flow fuel pump and e85 they became monsters like evo10, mk7 GTi, Subaru wrx fa20, even ford focus st.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm honestly surprised that the L15B7 and K20C1 are very close in power and limitations when it comes to tuning right now. @PRL Motorsports is around 460hp on their L15 and I believe are running into stock fuel limitations. I would hope the CTR could get to that before running into the same limitations.

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
what's wrong with running radium manifold spacer thing with added port injectors. Upgrade your fuel pump. Wire it all in. I heard Hondata is able to tune added injectors. Don't ask me, because i'm not going to be the guinea pig. :p

I'm surprised no one's done this, yet or maybe they have.

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
what's wrong with running radium manifold spacer thing with added port injectors. Upgrade your fuel pump. Wire it all in. I heard Hondata is able to tune added injectors. Don't ask me, because i'm not going to be the guinea pig. :p

I'm surprised no one's done this, yet or maybe they have.
You really will need more than just upgraded fuel pump to run the Radium port injection setup. Hondata and Ktuner currently dont have the ability to run extra injectors on their own. We are working on a finishing kit to make the Radium port injection kit work properly, and will be able to use Hondata or Ktuner as well. It wont be cheap, but it will allow support of larger turbo, but still torque and HP will be limited by stock internals

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
You really will need more than just upgraded fuel pump to run the Radium port injection setup. Hondata and Ktuner currently dont have the ability to run extra injectors on their own. We are working on a finishing kit to make the Radium port injection kit work properly, and will be able to use Hondata or Ktuner as well. It wont be cheap, but it will allow support of larger turbo, but still torque and HP will be limited by stock internals
Cheap is not a word in my dictionary, please keep us updated on this kit you guys are working on.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Buy that kit, build another short block/ long block, install and enjoy the glorious wheel spin haha : P jk I’m interested in what you guys come up with as well. Likely buying your oil cooler here shortly.

You still sell both right the front grill earlier design and the later side one? I am going with the side mount just curious.

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buy that kit, build another short block/ long block, install and enjoy the glorious wheel spin haha : P jk I’m interested in what you guys come up with as well. Likely buying your oil cooler here shortly.

You still sell both right the front grill earlier design and the later side one? I am going with the side mount just curious.
tuning and driver will help with wheel spin, plus more tire hahaha.

Yes we still offer the front mount and the new side mount options.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
tuning and driver will help with wheel spin, plus more tire hahaha.

Yes we still offer the front mount and the new side mount options.
Curious if you have tested both in similar conditions to see if one cools better than the other? I know the middle grill one is an easier install but does the side grill one cool better type results?
Sponsored