Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I'm getting really bored and need stuff to do, so.......lol

Now they have changed their minds about wearing masks to help stop the spread of covd19.

They are suggesting that people wear them, but the president says he won't.
From my understanding, me wearing a mask will protect someone else from getting it if I were to have it, and vice versa.
If that's the case, then refusing to wear one says to me that you don't care about anyone else.
So where do you people stand on this?
Sponsored

nunoctr

First Name
nuno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fk2
Country flag
wear mask if possible. The problem is not knowing who is infected. If everyone uses mask the risk an asymptomatic person with covid infect another person is greatly reduced.

but there is a problem:
"180 million masks have been ordered by the US government"
USA population: 330 million
150 million masks in deficit

Sty09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
If that's the case, then refusing to wear one says to me that you don't care about anyone else.
The assumption shouldn't be that everyone has it. If you are symptomatic or sick , then it would be considerate of you to wear a mask, or better yet stay at home. The paranoia and lunacy surrounding all of this is out of control and has stifled common sense.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
The assumption shouldn't be that everyone has it.
Agreed that the symptomatic should definitely wear masks (or as you said, simply stay home). But the problem is that at this point, nobody knows how many coronavirus carriers are asymptomatic. Early studies indicate the proportion could be anywhere from 20% up to 80%. It's likely in the 20% - 30% range, but may well be higher. There's just no way to know. So, unfortunately, the safest way to proceed is to assume that everyone is indeed carrying the virus. And thus everyone should wear masks.

Realistically, that's never going to happen. But logically, it would be the best means to slow the virus.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
The assumption shouldn't be that everyone has it..
but that is exactly what medical professionals and experts are recommending. They are telling everyone to pretty much ssume that YOU have it, and act accordingly. Do what you can to prevent spreading it as though you have it, because you might. Unless you‘ve been tested and confirmed clean, you might have it.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed that the symptomatic should definitely wear masks (or as you said, simply stay home). But the problem is that at this point, nobody knows how many coronavirus carriers are asymptomatic. Early studies indicate the proportion could be anywhere from 20% up to 80%. It's likely in the 20% - 30% range, but may well be higher. There's just no way to know. So, unfortunately, the safest way to proceed is to assume that everyone is indeed carrying the virus. And thus everyone should wear masks.

Realistically, that's never going to happen. But logically, it would be the best means to slow the virus.
This exactly. It's too dangerous to assume anything about this. But one thing that is fact, what people have been doing wasnt working.

Sty09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Doesn't mean it's practical or reasonable. You could also argue that it would be logical for everyone to go outside wearing Hazmat suits. So where do we draw the line?

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
Doesn't mean it's practical or reasonable. You could also argue that it would be logical for everyone to go outside wearing Hazmat suits. So where do we draw the line?
Well...it isn't difficult to draw a line somewhere amid the vast expanse between "wearing a mask" and "donning hazmat suits". In that sense, mask-wearing is completely reasonable.

I agree that it isn't practical/reasonable to expect the entire US population to wear masks in public. However, the more that do - the better for all of us. It's not going to be something the government will ever mandate. I can only hope that enough citizens make that choice so as to negatively impact the spread of the virus.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well...it isn't difficult to draw a line somewhere amid the vast expanse between "wearing a mask" and "donning hazmat suits". In that sense, mask-wearing is completely reasonable.

I agree that it isn't practical/reasonable to expect the entire US population to wear masks in public. However, the more that do - the better for all of us. It's not going to be something the government will ever mandate. I can only hope that enough citizens make that choice so as to negatively impact the spread of the virus.
I would prefer that this be the one thing the government did mandate, but how can they do that when the president has said he c won't even wear one.
I see so many idiots throwing gloves on the ground, coughing on people on purpose and other crap, I guess I can't expect them to be smart enough to wear a mask :(

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I'm saying no, I'm not going to bother wearing one - but that's given the current conditions. I have chronic bronchitis so I cough anyway. People look at me like I'm Typhoid Mary - I'm fine!

Well, I could do without the irritated bronchioles, but it's from acid reflux. I also suffer from esophageal spasms. Last night I woke up feeling like a fat girl was sitting on my chest (I'd say elephant, but I'm against animal cruelty). ?

Anyway, I'm not sick! Not yet!

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm saying no, I'm not going to bother wearing one - but that's given the current conditions. I have chronic bronchitis so I cough anyway. People look at me like I'm Typhoid Mary - I'm fine!

Well, I could do without the irritated bronchioles, but it's from acid reflux. I also suffer from esophageal spasms. Last night I woke up feeling like a fat girl was sitting on my chest (I'd say elephant, but I'm against animal cruelty). ?

Anyway, I'm not sick! Not yet!
It's like if you even cough once, people turn their heads like zombies, lots of whiplash happening.
-
I saw a guy walking around in a hazard gas mask, we're one step closer to everyone walking around in full hazmats.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes I wear one.
No I don’t have a choice... if you're pretty much anywhere on base within 6 feet of someone or below decks on a boat... you're wearing one.

Out and about? I don't go out except to work as needed. If I did... I would... and for other folks as much, if not more, than myself.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I wear a mask when I go out for groceries and such because why not. It's not a surefire way to mitigate spread of the disease but it's just an extra measure. If you have it, wear one when going out, simple.

Sty09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag

I know Hazmat suits are at the far end of the spectrum - I was just trying to illustrate my concern with allowing the government or authority figures to begin imposing on mandates or restircitons on people's lives in the name of public safety. Anyhow I hope you're right.

I would prefer that this be the one thing the government did mandate, but how can they do that when the president has said he c won't even wear one.
I see so many idiots throwing gloves on the ground, coughing on people on purpose and other crap, I guess I can't expect them to be smart enough to wear a mask :(
When did this glove thing start? There is no need for people to wear gloves when they are out buying groceries or toilet paper. The virus can't burrow through a person's skin. Are people just too lazy to wash their hands?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.