Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R Sonic Pearl Grey R-43285
Country flag
Does anyone here have the race exhaust for the Type-R by MAPerformance. It's back in stock, and I originally wanted the street one. I still do, because in the description it says the Street is a bit more quiet.
I don't need to be loud and proud with the race, but I'm wondering how much more sound comes out? Also if there's any drone. Currently on the stock one and drone is noticeable. If it's not too significant I'd buy the race. I can't find any videos for the R besides Cameron Hill's street exhaust.

Also the MAPerformance one is my favorite sounding one. I want the street one but it's OOS. Race is available and I'm considering it cause I'd like to get my build started.
Sponsored

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone here have the race exhaust for the Type-R by MAPerformance. It's back in stock, and I originally wanted the street one. I still do, because in the description it says the Street is a bit more quiet.
I don't need to be loud and proud with the race, but I'm wondering how much more sound comes out? Also if there's any drone. Currently on the stock one and drone is noticeable. If it's not too significant I'd buy the race. I can't find any videos for the R besides Cameron Hill's street exhaust.

Also the MAPerformance one is my favorite sounding one. I want the street one but it's OOS. Race is available and I'm considering it cause I'd like to get my build started.
I can’t really comment (but will anyway) other than to say that for the Si the street exhaust is pretty loud. At least with a DP. Because you mention drone and are concerned about it, I’d probably wait on the street. Have you called MAP to get an ETA? They are pretty helpful usually.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

If you're that sensitive to sound that you notice drone on the stock exhaust, you probably should be careful with which exhaust you get. I've had multiple exhausts that had ranged from stupid loud, with a ton of drone, to quiet exhausts with minimal drone all on a catless downpipe. If you don't plan to ever get a downpipe catless or catted, the street will probably do just fine. Yes they drone, but it's not obnoxious when you're on the stock downpipe, just a mild hum when cruising around 2500rpms - 3500rpms

OP
OP
Dream3r

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're that sensitive to sound that you notice drone on the stock exhaust, you probably should be careful with which exhaust you get. I've had multiple exhausts that had ranged from stupid loud, with a ton of drone, to quiet exhausts with minimal drone all on a catless downpipe. If you don't plan to ever get a downpipe catless or catted, the street will probably do just fine. Yes they drone, but it's not obnoxious when you're on the stock downpipe, just a mild hum when cruising around 2500rpms - 3500rpms
I'm not too sensitive to it, I've just read a lot about the stock drone, looked for it noticed it and doesn't bug me too much since I listen to music, but it'd definitely be nice for it to be less or none.
I heard the MAPerformance street is good in that regard, plus I just want some sound coming from the car cause that OEM one is a joke.

OP
OP
Dream3r

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can’t really comment (but will anyway) other than to say that for the Si the street exhaust is pretty loud. At least with a DP. Because you mention drone and are concerned about it, I’d probably wait on the street. Have you called MAP to get an ETA? They are pretty helpful usually.
No worries, I was just hoping someone had some insight. I mean I heard the SI's and I was like wondering if it's that loud. I mean I don't mind loud, just don't need it everyday cause I daily my R. Once in a while sure, but I don't like being loud and proud and just want more of a mature throaty/growl when I'm driving it. I didn't call them yet, considering it. Would like to finance through affirm instead of throwing all 1.2k out just for the sake of in case some other mods come up etc.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not too sensitive to it, I've just read a lot about the stock drone, looked for it noticed it and doesn't bug me too much since I listen to music, but it'd definitely be nice for it to be less or none.
I heard the MAPerformance street is good in that regard, plus I just want some sound coming from the car cause that OEM one is a joke.
Well you definitely aren't getting "less or none" from switching exhausts. You're going to get more, and usually a more boomy low toned drone. The HKS Legamax on the stock downpipe has very little drone, pretty much stock levels and will give you a nice louder sound on full throttle while still being very quiet. If you just want some sound, delete your mufflers on the stock exhaust it sounds quite good and still has very little drone.

OP
OP
Dream3r

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well you definitely aren't getting "less or none" from switching exhausts. You're going to get more, and usually a more boomy low toned drone. The HKS Legamax on the stock downpipe has very little drone, pretty much stock levels and will give you a nice louder sound on full throttle while still being very quiet. If you just want some sound, delete your mufflers on the stock exhaust it sounds quite good and still has very little drone.
I don't mind actually exhaust sounds, but the type-r exhaust sound is non existent, and just drones. From the reviews of MAPerformance there's little to none. THat's all I want no drone-little drone with actual exhaust notes.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't mind actually exhaust sounds, but the type-r exhaust sound is non existent, and just drones. From the reviews of MAPerformance there's little to none. THat's all I want no drone-little drone with actual exhaust notes.
From videos is sounds like most other exhausts for the FK8, very similar to the AWE touring. The "little to no drone" is all subjective. I think the HKS Legamax is super quiet and tolerable, others gotten rid of it for the Fujitsubo because they say it is better with drone. I've see people who can't stand the AWE touring and others who say it's perfect. Get whatever you please, if you're getting a down pipe in the future though I guarantee the Race version will be quite loud

OP
OP
Dream3r

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
From videos is sounds like most other exhausts for the FK8, very similar to the AWE touring. The "little to no drone" is all subjective. I think the HKS Legamax is super quiet and tolerable, others gotten rid of it for the Fujitsubo because they say it is better with drone. I've see people who can't stand the AWE touring and others who say it's perfect. Get whatever you please, if you're getting a down pipe in the future though I guarantee the Race version will be quite loud
I appreciate all the info, and yeah I'm 100% not opting in for the race, on the SI it's already overly loud.
Sponsored