MAPerformance FK8 Type R Intake PRE-RELEASE Information Post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Is this the V2 or a completely different system? I just installed your guy’s V1 intake this past Monday and ran into some hood clearance issues. Could be my year Type R?

First off, have you reached out to our team about the fitment issues at all? Would love to make sure those are getting sorted. All year Type Rs we have tested so far share the same hood tolerances.

I would consider this a V2, as all critical dimensions and performance factors are the same. Just a slightly different design language and material choice.

-Daelen

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
You replaced the two metal pipes that are welded together with one attaching to the intake tube (Now a rubber hose in your pictures)? I don't see the second metal line in the pictures, how are you rerouting it? Will this have any negative effect on the system?

That is correct, the intake tube that was a billet velocity stack then coupled to a stainless tube will now be one single aluminum tube. Performance-wise we will see no noticeable changes here. A slightly easier install, and fewer points to leak will be the main upgrades here.

-Daelen

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
The newest revision looks pretty wicked, that filter is massive. Looks like a well thought out intake, hope we see it on the market soon. The MAPerformance exhaust looked like it knocked it out of the park, so this intake looks just as good.

Thank you for the kind words, with the feedback from everyone here and any small tweaks needed for the final part, we expect to move forward on this very soon on final test pieces and prototypes, then a production run.

-Daelen

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
There's a gap in the gasket in two places, which means it will pull in hot air from the engine bay. It does mean more air than the snorkel, though. The stock one does have an opening on the "cold" side of the intake.

For example, the PRL intake has a little wedge missing where it does not completely seal.

Note the bottom left near the bump stop.
thermal-prl_hvi_without_wedge.jpg

Then I filled the missing wedge:
thermal-prl_hvi_with_wedge.jpg

This is why I ask and how nuts I am.

I appreciate the effort of looking into this. Based on manufacturing constraints id expect to see a roughly similar area on ours. But if I'm being absolutely honest the difference in temps will be something that will go unnoticed when it comes to the actual performance. 2 degrees IAT swings are within such a small margin of error, that so many factors could impact that reading, and the car will not change in performance.

Not to say it's not worth it to play with on a one-off setup, but from a production side of things, you run into mold complexities that make products either more expensive to manufacture (And thus higher retail) or a much more difficult install. Compromises will always have to be made on production products to fit all the needed criteria, and I feel absolutely comfortable saying one of this nature has a near-zero impact on the performance of either our, or PRLs intake in the long term.

I enjoy the work you have put in here, keep it up!

-Daelen

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
how easy to clean the filter?

Removal and cleaning of the filter is fairly easy with all parts still installed!

-Daelen

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I appreciate the effort of looking into this. Based on manufacturing constraints id expect to see a roughly similar area on ours. But if I'm being absolutely honest the difference in temps will be something that will go unnoticed when it comes to the actual performance. 2 degrees IAT swings are within such a small margin of error, that so many factors could impact that reading, and the car will not change in performance.

Not to say it's not worth it to play with on a one-off setup, but from a production side of things, you run into mold complexities that make products either more expensive to manufacture (And thus higher retail) or a much more difficult install. Compromises will always have to be made on production products to fit all the needed criteria, and I feel absolutely comfortable saying one of this nature has a near-zero impact on the performance of either our, or PRLs intake in the long term.

I enjoy the work you have put in here, keep it up!
I am sorry but I have to call you out on a contradiction.

The contour follows the hood nearly perfectly, with just enough squish on the rubber seal to make sure all is happy.
Now you are saying, we possible have this gap but it does not matter.

I was planning to name my planned post "modifications for little gain (excluding neurosis)". However, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your summary dismissal because I looked at the data.

What is the "margin of error" you speak of? Same car, same differences. Plus, you are making this statement without seeing any data.

While I am going to cover all this in my planned post, I offer these point(s) of inflection:

The thermal images do not lie. The area after the wedge is installed are cooler. Even with higher external temperatures.

If its marginal, why did Honda go through the trouble of making sure that area was sealed? It is well known the Honda intake performs better with IAT2.

The characteristic length of that wedge compared to the characteristic length of the snorkel, is significant.

Why is that area important? Well, it would be pretty easy to lie on a dyno by forcing air into the engine bay to be cooler, therefore providing cooler air into the open areas mentioned. Therefore, not replicating real world use. When one goes through the touchless car wash, when the dryer spins up, its a real world example how one can lie on a dyno. The IAT2 drops significantly. One would have to travel at 150 mph to see a drop like that. Far as I am aware, the car is not traveling at 150 mph at 3k RPM (or where any of the power is made from the dynos).

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
I am sorry but I have to call you out on a contradiction.

Now you are saying, we possible have this gap but it does not matter.

I was planning to name my planned post "modifications for little gain (excluding neurosis)". However, I am going to have to respectfully disagree with your summary dismissal because I looked at the data.

What is the "margin of error" you speak of? Same car, same differences. Plus, you are making this statement without seeing any data.

While I am going to cover all this in my planned post, I offer these point(s) of inflection:

The thermal images do not lie. The area after the wedge is installed are cooler. Even with higher external temperatures.

If its marginal, why did Honda go through the trouble of making sure that area was sealed? It is well known the Honda intake performs better with IAT2.

The characteristic length of that wedge compared to the characteristic length of the snorkel, is significant.

Why is that area important? Well, it would be pretty easy to lie on a dyno by forcing air into the engine bay to be cooler, therefore providing cooler air into the open areas mentioned. Therefore, not replicating real world use. When one goes through the touchless car wash, when the dryer spins up, its a real world example how one can lie on a dyno. The IAT2 drops significantly. One would have to travel at 150 mph to see a drop like that. Far as I am aware, the car is not traveling at 150 mph at 3k RPM (or where any of the power is made from the dynos).

I hope that it is clear on my end that there are no accusations, or hurt feelings before we dig into this further. I appreciate the work and effort you are putting in here. I may not 100% agree on some points, just as you may not agree to my points and that is absolutely ok. I will happily listen and converse as I might learn something, and hopefully you feel the same.

When I say it does not matter, maybe I am being a bit to literal with with my wording. What I mean by this is not that it does not matter in the sense that temps can change, as its very clear on the thermal image that you are seeing a change and I won't deny that. But, What I will stand behind is that the performance of the car will have a near-zero delta with a 2* IAT change when it comes to power, and how well it runs.

The margin of error, unless you are logging exact speed, exact outside temp, barometric pressure, humidity, have a calibrated logger that will have no margin of error, a sensor that is perfect in all conditions, etc there will always be a margin of error on a test like this. A 2* IAT change is well within what I would consider a margin of error from a standard commercial logger in a non-controlled environment. You are correct that I have not seen your exact data, so its possible you did all of that I and can put my foot in my mouth.

"If its marginal, why did Honda go through the trouble of making sure that area was sealed? It is well known the Honda intake performs better with IAT2."

At an OEM level, there are certain luxuries they are afforded that the aftermarket is not able to do at a level of scale. I won't say that Honda does not have their reasons for doing so, but in many cases its a NVH/Emissions related rather than power or performance. So the impact may just be to a different aspect, and when I say marginal I am only speaking in power and performance.

"Why is that area important? Well, it would be pretty easy to lie on a dyno by forcing air into the engine bay to be cooler, therefore providing cooler air into the open areas mentioned. Therefore, not replicating real world use. When one goes through the touchless car wash, when the dryer spins up, its a real world example how one can lie on a dyno. The IAT2 drops significantly. One would have to travel at 150 mph to see a drop like that. Far as I am aware, the car is not traveling at 150 mph at 3k RPM (or where any of the power is made from the dynos)."

I do apologize, I do not fully understand the context here and want to make sure I am addressing the correct question or concern. It seems as though we can agree that the data is only as good as the process to collect the data. Rarely will you get a test series that will run the gambit of all scenarios possible, so you work through a best-case process with a combination of dyno and street testing to have both a controlled environment and a real-world validation. This speaks back to my margin of error comment, it would be nearly impossible to drive the same road twice testing a car with all known factors being identical, thus introducing a margin of error that we need to be aware of.

Always happy to converse on these topics, and no intention to hide or mislead. So if am misunderstanding anything please let me know and ill be more than apt to reasses myreply.

-Daelen

02DC5(410)

The woking man is a sucker
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2018 Civic Si Sedan(US)/2004 Honda Fit (JPN) Owned: 2017 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2002 RSX Type-S, 2002 Accord EX V6, 92 Civic LX Sedan, 1991 Integra Sedan, 1991 Civic Si, 1989 Civic DX hatchback
Country flag
First off, have you reached out to our team about the fitment issues at all? Would love to make sure those are getting sorted. All year Type Rs we have tested so far share the same hood tolerances.

I would consider this a V2, as all critical dimensions and performance factors are the same. Just a slightly different design language and material choice.

-Daelen
Yup, trading emails now and saving up for V2!!! Thank you and I appreciate it!

201FK8

First Name
VINZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC TYPE R FK8, CRX SI 87', MAZDA 3 14'
Country flag
Also might be good to consider the MAF housing issue that people encountering when chasing 400+

JJK18

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
That is correct, the intake tube that was a billet velocity stack then coupled to a stainless tube will now be one single aluminum tube. Performance-wise we will see no noticeable changes here. A slightly easier install, and fewer points to leak will be the main upgrades here.

-Daelen
I'm actually talking about these two tubes right here, one connecting to the intake tube and another going elsewhere in the engine. Looks like one was replaced with a rubber hose to your intake tube, but I don't see the other one anywhere. just wondering how it is rerouted.

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance FK8 Type R Intake PRE-RELEASE Information Post! Type R engine

dbroco99

First Name
Dimas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R Sonic Grey Pearl
Country flag
Hopefully, this is an even better update than Cerakote would be.

The concept of this had been on the table for a bit, and after the feedback here we decided to put a lot of other work on hold and dig deep to get a working prototype ASAP to report back with. Dimensionally the constraints and sizes are all the same as our stainless manufactured pieces, but with cast aluminum and plastic as the materials. Our product development team has put in a lot of hours the past few weeks getting this ready for input, and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Pictured is the initial scan and render, and the prototype 3D printed pieces we have now been running on the car with great success. We have had the car on the dyno, and street driving and we are very pleased with the power and performance as it sits.

The box seals on the hood following the factory seal flanges and utilizes our large filter and velocity stack design with a few changes to make the tube a single-piece design. Cool air is fed from the factory grill location so no fears of IATs as you guys have noted in past responses.

-Daelen

TYPERINPROTO-6.jpg

TYPERINPROTO-7.png

TYPERINPROTO-5.jpg

TYPERINPROTO-4.jpg

TYPERINPROTO-3.jpg

TYPERINPROTO-2.jpg

TYPERINPROTO-1.jpg
When is this going to come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.