MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
As our R&D efforts on the Type-R go on, we continue to confirm what many others have experienced, and the stock cooling system was no exception. When it came time to design the MAPerformance Civic Type R Oil Cooler kit we started with our direct fit thermostatic oil filter adapter plate, with a focus on ground clearance this allows the filter to sit up and out of the way. Due to the lack of factory oil pressure monitoring, we felt it was very important to add the 1/8" NPT ports to the side of the housing, as to provide the key information of oil temperature, pressure, or both depending on the sensor utilized, there are two ports available for use on the housing using the supplied -8AN to 1/8" NPT adapter fittings.

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance FK8 Oil Cooler 1642196237848

To mount the cooler, we designed our MAPerformance 304 Stainless bracket produced right here at our USA facility. This bracket not only looks stylish for many years but is also a 100% bolt-on solution meaning no cutting or trimming is required to any part of your car(You do remove a few small pieces of plastic) keeping the installation as easy as can be!

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance FK8 Oil Cooler 1642196121213

For the cooler, we selected one of the largest SETRAB cores that we could fit, and keep in a reasonable budget. SETRAB has been an industry leader in the cooling industry for generations, and there is no better fit! There were multiple reasons for this decision, the obvious being that it would pull as much heat out of the system as possible and cool the oil to reasonable temperatures. The secondary reasoning is that the K20C1 has a very small oil capacity and being able to add nearly a full quart to the system will help in both temperature and also helping keep the oil pressure stable at all times!

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance FK8 Oil Cooler 1642196311398

Full Kit - Link to purchase

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance FK8 Oil Cooler 1642196369605

SpicyPIXEL

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SGP Civic Type R #43027
Country flag
How many rows in the Setrab unit does your kit run?

I went with a 19-row Setrab unit using Siri Moto’s bracketry and oil filter relocation parts.

Also, what’s the temperature difference seen using the larger cooler?

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
How many rows in the Setrab unit does your kit run?

I went with a 19-row Setrab unit using Siri Moto’s bracketry and oil filter relocation parts.

Also, what’s the temperature difference seen using the larger cooler?
Our kit uses a 20-row setrab core, I'll get the temps from our R&D team however if I remember correctly the data is not the best as we had to test in the winter (have to love MN). We did test both in the same conditions so the temp difference will still be present.

rallyered225

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Probably a stupid question but do you have to remove the bumper to install one of these?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Our kit uses a 20-row setrab core, I'll get the temps from our R&D team however if I remember correctly the data is not the best as we had to test in the winter (have to love MN). We did test both in the same conditions so the temp difference will still be present.

Let me know if you guys need any other cars youd like to test your oil cooler on! I am localish, and plan run run a handful of events this year including PG2 :D

Looking forward to seeing the development on this, I definitely need an oil cooler and temp/pressure monitoring.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Given that SETRAB has public pricing, what justifies the steep price tag on this?

It looks like the Setrab 20 row cooler is being used which is about $200 https://www.amazon.com/Setrab-ProLine-Engine-Oil-Cooler-Ports/dp/B00TO66N2K

Factor in the thermostatic sandwich plate which is probably roughly around $130 (Ill use this one from Map https://www.maperformance.com/produ...5YbYQoVb0n-vsHW-g0uUqNsOK3Kt_NzBoCE7sQAvD_BwE)

Then you factor in
  • MAP Direct Fit Stainless Steel Brackets for easy install
  • 1/8" NPT ports to add Pressure or Temperature gauges
  • Lightweight Braided Squirrelly Performance AN lines and fittings
  • All stainless hardware to prevent corrosion
  • Thermostatic Oil Filter adapter plate
And then the "R&D" and the need to make a profit on their product, and I think you can see how the price is what it is.

When you compare this kit to a comparable one.. lets say the USR kit https://www.unitedspeedracing.com/p...il-cooler-kit-for-2017-fk8-honda-civic-type-r

The pricing doesnt seem horrible, I think its really competitive with the other options from HKS, Greddy, Mishimoto, and USR.

But looking at it now, I am interested to see how this effects ECT as its directly in front of the radiator and as we all know, the car is already starving for air flow.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Probably a stupid question but do you have to remove the bumper to install one of these?
Bumper removal is necessary for installation for our kit!

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Let me know if you guys need any other cars youd like to test your oil cooler on! I am localish, and plan run run a handful of events this year including PG2 :D

Looking forward to seeing the development on this, I definitely need an oil cooler and temp/pressure monitoring.
I'll see if we can't take you up on that offer! - Kevin

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Given that SETRAB has public pricing, what justifies the steep price tag on this?
We try and keep our prices as competitive as possible while still being able to still operate. Essentially it really comes down to what Alpha had mentioned in his post above and factoring in the cost of materials increase across the board thanks to the pandemic (we try our best to keep these inflationary prices off the customer). Now, that's not to say you couldn't assemble your own kit for less. If that's a possibility for some we're all for that, after all that's how we got started!

Of course purchasing a kit ensures fitment, performance, warranty and taking out the "testing" of components/performance. Plus, we wouldn't get to chat with you about your car! - Kevin

ctrsg

First Name
CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
The suppo plate below seems to block a lot of air though

zombiephysio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (Boost Blue)
Country flag
Any testing or updates on how this setup might effect airflow to the radiator?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.