MAPerformance - Civic X 1.5t Performance Engine Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brian Crower has pistons, not sure about rods on PRLs site
Definitely in agreement on the cam and manifold tho, if someone puts out a cam and springs I'm gonna jump on it but only other power performance part I intend to do is 27WONs exhaust soon as it's available
Actually. BC has rods, not pistons. J.E. has pistons. BC also has springs and retainers. They say they’ll have valves in a few months and cams in a year.
Sponsored

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually. BC has rods, not pistons. J.E. has pistons. BC also has springs and retainers. They say they’ll have valves in a few months and cams in a year.
been thinking of working some overtime to get the rods and pistons for my car plus but tossing up the idea to buy the crank and cam from a SI to build my motor up a bit

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
Thanks for clearing that up. Not a priority for me tho. Maybe if I blow up the motor one day. At this point seems like a waste of money as the Si block still going strong. I do wanna see compared results of boring .20, .40 and maybe even .60 over if the block would support it, sure titanium sleeves would be necessary. I'd like to see it but not gonna be me doing it, my days of dropping 100k into a car just to take it out to the track on weekends are over lol

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
been thinking of working some overtime to get the rods and pistons for my car plus but tossing up the idea to buy the crank and cam from a SI to build my motor up a bit
Base models have same cam and crank, difference in the Si is the turbo compressor, rods and pistons

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for clearing that up. Not a priority for me tho. Maybe if I blow up the motor one day. At this point seems like a waste of money as the Si block still going strong. I do wanna see compared results of boring .20, .40 and maybe even .60 over if the block would support it, sure titanium sleeves would be necessary. I'd like to see it but not gonna be me doing it, my days of dropping 100k into a car just to take it out to the track on weekends are over lol
As far as I know there are only three built Si blocks so far, all of them utilizing some form of cylinder wall support. I believe both JE piston options are oversized. (0.50)

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
As far as I know there are only three built Si blocks so far, all of them utilizing some form of cylinder wall support. I believe both JE piston options are oversized. (0.50)
Really no point in it yet, as MAP has pointed out the limits of the stock fuel system has been reached. Until someone starts pumping out solutions modding becomes a pointless money pit

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Really no point in it yet, as MAP has pointed out the limits of the stock fuel system has been reached. Until someone starts pumping out solutions modding becomes a pointless money pit
only a matter of time

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Options are already available, such methanol injection. Of course, most will not go that route. For those that are building a block, cylinder wall support is fairly inexpensive and may as well be done while everything is apart. I'd sure hate to build a nice new shortblock and end up cracking a cylinder wall at some point down the road. While these engines offer an impressive amount of performance capability from the factory, we can't forget that they were designed for fuel mileage and not raw power.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Gotta love meth injection ;) no issues running it yet. We'll see how the spring goes. Very interested to see the benefits running a 99% meth mixture paired with a big turbo.

I've got my eye on this block kit tho. I dont expect to see an issue with the stock block ,right away. But I can't imagine it will take the beating for a long period of time.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I'm actually really surprised that MAP is able to operate the engine with stock internals up to a redline of 8K (IIRC). The Type R K-Series engine was demonstrated to experience valve float at as low as 7300 RPM, so I'm floored that an "economy" based L-series is able to handle more.

@MAPerformance was there any sign of valve float in the stock internals before you starting building it?

bahndrvr

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si White Orchid Pearl, 1983 Foxbody 4 eye Notchback
Country flag
Options are already available, such methanol injection. Of course, most will not go that route. For those that are building a block, cylinder wall support is fairly inexpensive and may as well be done while everything is apart. I'd sure hate to build a nice new shortblock and end up cracking a cylinder wall at some point down the road. While these engines offer an impressive amount of performance capability from the factory, we can't forget that they were designed for fuel mileage and not raw power.
Don’t forget the port injection stuff showing up already as well!

Daelen@MAP

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Daelen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm actually really surprised that MAP is able to operate the engine with stock internals up to a redline of 8K (IIRC). The Type R K-Series engine was demonstrated to experience valve float at as low as 7300 RPM, so I'm floored that an "economy" based L-series is able to handle more.

@MAPerformance was there any sign of valve float in the stock internals before you starting building it?

We have not seen any signs of float one the stock springs, and honestly that was a bit surprising with how soft the springs are. One of the big hurdles has been some ECU trickery with it not liking revs over stock, but I think we have sorted some solutions for the time being.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We have not seen any signs of float one the stock springs, and honestly that was a bit surprising with how soft the springs are. One of the big hurdles has been some ECU trickery with it not liking revs over stock, but I think we have sorted some solutions for the time being.
Motec ECU

Daelen@MAP

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Daelen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Motec ECU
Yes, that is correct.

The issue with that is it will not translate to a fix for most customers and therefore not really be a relevant solution. Believe me, id prefer to have a standalone in every car we touch, but the reality is that to truly help the customers and average users sorting out a solution with stock ECU is going to be the best option.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Yes, that is correct.

The issue with that is it will not translate to a fix for most customers and therefore not really be a relevant solution. Believe me, id prefer to have a standalone in every car we touch, but the reality is that to truly help the customers and average users sorting out a solution with stock ECU is going to be the best option.
I'm happy to hear that this is your approach to the situation, some of the tuning crowd can be a bit elitist in this respect. They'll basically say get x or I can't help you.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.