MAPerformance - 500+WHP Civic Si on Stock Bottom End! Excited to Share!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag

I have some exciting updates for you as we continue our world record ET and horsepower chase. While we haven’t made it to the track, yet, I am excited to announce that we have beat and currently hold the world record for the highest horsepower 10th gen 1.5t powered Honda Civic. Our car holds this record on the stock bottom end, tuned on the stock ECU and is running fuel available at our local gas station. Stay tuned for a demonstration and the final numbers… but before we give away all the secrets, let’s get you caught up on how we got where we are right now.

Image_from_iOS_18.jpg

When we left you, last time, we were putting the finishing touches of the turbo kit together, installing and setting up the suspension and brakes and making accommodations for the Belak wheels and tires.

turbo_kit.jpg

Over the last couple of weeks, we have been hustling hard, to put the finishing touches on our prototype turbo kit. Currently, our car is set up with a Garrett Gen2 GTX3071R which we intend to use to really push the power expectations of the platform as high as we can with the amount of room this engine bay has to offer and as you can probably tell, we have everything really show horned under the hood, utilizing every available amount of space we can as efficiently as we can. As we mentioned in our last video, we want to be able to offer a wide variety of turbo sizing options to suit our customer’s needs… this turbo is probably a bit on the large side, in terms of lagginess, but development for this size allows us to easily work back towards the smaller size Garrett turbos to present our customers with a powerful combination of performance and minimal lag.

Once we felt we had enough turbo to aim for records, we decided that we needed to wrap up the install of the Fortune Auto 510 series coilovers. We got the height dialed in where we wanted it, and took the time to align and corner balance the car. Obviously, to make records, we want to take advantage of every adjustment we can that will give us an edge, and these are the kinds of suspension adjustments available to help us control weight transfer… in the hopes of getting us off the line and out of the hole quicker.

With that in mind, we also put together a handbrake to help us stage the car. This will help us reduce the shock to the driveline during launches and staging. This kit is easy to use, easy to engage and is plumbed into the stock brake system in a simple way that allows for the easiest install and bleeding possible.

So now that you know what we have been working on over the last couple of weeks, I bet I can guess the question that is on everyone’s mind, namely “How do we plan on making more power when everyone knows that the fuel system is the biggest roadblock to making serious power”?

To anyone that asks that question… make sure to give yourself a gold star. Since day one, this platform’s small 1.5 turbo charged engine has been proven as a surprisingly power hungry engine that has been full of surprises, but when it comes to making anything over 400HP to the wheels, the fuel system has proven, even in the most capable of hands, to have been the biggest obstacle to overcome. I’m proud to say, the days of being held back are over and I would like to talk about how we were able to overcome our fueling issues.

walbro_525_36bebd17-23e1-416b-b453-78ac2520f1bd.jpg

Step one… add more lift pump. We went to the drawing board to develop a simple to install low pressure fuel pump solution intended to be easy to install for casual enthusiasts with minimal tools. Using a high pressure, high flow Walbro 450 LPH pump, we were able to substantially increase the fuel flow through the fuel system to allow for additional injectors without worry about the direct injectors starving for fuel.

billet_spacer.jpg

Step two, add more injectors… to do this, we developed an easy to install billet spacer designed to optimize the fuel injector nozzle position in relation to the intake track. With only hour or two of time, and some basic hand tools, you can install this spacer and injectors and plumb the fuel rail into the fuel system with our supplied lines.

Step three, add a means to control the fuel… this is where the magic happens and since this a prototype kit we are using for testing, I will just say that our intent, with this kit, will be to be able to supply an affordable, but user friendly method for tuning these additional injectors. Over the coming weeks, we will be working hard to finalize the details of how this will plug into the existing car and be mounted… but rest assured, we will be doing everything in our power to keep everyone informed as developments occur.

So now that you know a little bit about the car, let’s take a look at what it can do on the dyno...and for everyone that might want to ask… our Dyno is an industry standard Dynojet 424x which is basically two state of the art 224x’s paired together and are capable of measuring 1500 plus all wheel horsepower. The outdoor temperature is 87 degrees with 33% humidity. Let’s see what we are able to get out of this little screamer.

Screen_Shot_2019-05-31_at_8.12.22_PM.png

There you have it. 513 peak HP to the wheels with 379 ft lbs of torque! WOW… let’s hope that is enough! Once again… this is a stock bottom end vehicle(Meaning stock pistons, stock rods, stock block, stock crank, an unopened stock shortblock), running fuel available from the local gas station(Roughly E60 at the time of this video), running a stock ECU making that power. Now there is a supplemental controller that is required to operate the injectors, to be completely fair, but the stock ECU is really running the majority of the show.

As you can probably tell, excitement is really ramping up, here as we get this car loaded up and ready to go down the track. Make sure to like and subscribe to stay tuned for our next big
Sponsored

SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Regardless of the lag, this is insane. Keep up the good work. Would love to see some numbers on 91 or 93 when you guys get some time for us suckers who don't have access to E.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Well damn :respect:

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Guessing a piggyback to control the extra injectors. Since the new injectors are not DI judged by placement they arguably mitigate concerns about buildup on the intake valves, which is kind of cool. Scary power and torque levels for a stock internal 1.5. looks like redline was increased too.

Very cool

DannyG1904

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Congratulations, awesome numbers! Definitely not the ideal turbo it seems for daily driving, but if you’re going for the fastest X Gen at the strip then it makes sense.

Just out of curiosity what was done to the top end of the engine? I’m assuming it was to safely rev higher to take advantage of the new found top end power.

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si black sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@MAPerformance

If you are looking for other test subjects/lab rats. ..I have a 2018 si sedan... I live in West St Paul.... 15 minutes from your prototype garage....

Also, this is badass news. Good work MAPerf crew. I feel blessed to have such innovative folk in my backyard.

Keep being amazing.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Nothin’ like launching slightly above 4500rpm . Will literally scream from there...all that head work and porting is surely considerably increasing the breathing. For a more street-able configuration the Gen2 GTX 2867R is probably the way to go. But I do understand the use of the 3071 for not only the launch but the curve as well..
Very nice tinkering!!

BTW, I’ll guess a 10.8s ET with a trap of 130mph “ish” :)

Last edited:

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What spring rates are you using for the Fortune Auto 510 series coilovers? And are you running an error light canceller module or just ignoring it cause you know race car.

Share some pics of your handbrake too, sounds dope. Good luck chasing the 10.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
@Hollywoo0220 I certainly hope so to be completely honest with you! Maybe even faster if we are lucky. Absolutely agree on the more streetable part. This is the race car, so we gotta do race stuff with this one :)

@Vincent@27WON I will have to double check on the rates, feel free to pm me, with all of the events going on in the past few days between the dynoing of this car and our event we put on bi-annually at the local drag strip going on this weekend I can't seem to remember and the last thing I want to do is give you the wrong info.

So far as far as I am aware we are just ignoring the light. BECAUSE RACECAR.

LEO @ MAP

Daelen@MAP

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Daelen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
What spring rates are you using for the Fortune Auto 510 series coilovers? And are you running an error light canceler module or just ignoring it cause you know race car.

Share some pics of your handbrake too, sounds dope. Good luck chasing the 10.

Rear rate is the same as their factory rate (Due to the spring they are utilizing, current set up is 10k Front, 8k rear. Most recent weight on the car was 2880 with half tank and 200lb driver. Most of the work was done on the valving side from our requests, just to make them a bit more application specific for drag racing. We will see if that all payed off I guess lol. Currently no canceler in the car, but we will most likely grab one just to turn the lights off.

I should have some handbrake pics over to my team soon, worked fairly well. Once the proof of concept is all worked out, we can clean up the plumbing a bit more and look at future production options!

Appreciate the kind words!

turbo dragon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI X
Country flag
This is great guys, I love the set up of this bigger turbo, any plans on making a kit to sale with a little smaller turbo for us DD guys?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.