First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You got an intercooler ? Not sure if you said you did or didn't. Which one would you recommend.
Yes I do. Depends on your plans for the car. I have a Depo racing one which is a prl knock off but works great. My iat’s are very consistent and +/-10 degrees from ambient. Made 362whp 310tq fbo/W1/e30 with a sri by the way.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CivicSiNJ

CivicSiNJ

First Name
Hampsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Yes I do. Depends on your plans for the car. I have a Depo racing one which is a prl knock off but works great. My iat’s are very consistent and +/-10 degrees from ambient. Made 362whp 310tq fbo/W1/e30 with a sri by the way.
to be honest I don't push my car hard all the tine im an occasional wot guy but I want my car to run rich or more idk the word but better than stock lol

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's basic physics.
SRI < CAI
CAI < SRI + intercooler or CAI + intercooler
SRI + intercooler < CAI + intercooler
Man, I've been posting this on the forums for quite a while now. Even showed links to state the point. I'm outnumbered so I just run the numbers at the dragstrip. :D

I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't tested an SRI vs CAI at the track, over and Over and OVER again. I know now.

If your stock intercooler is overwhelmed or you have no intercooler at all, a CAI can benefit some. As stated earlier by EKSean, the intercoolers job is to introduce cooler air into your engine, not the intake.

The very best thing you could do for your intake (pre-turbo) is to install one that is as Big, Wide and Short as possible. With zero to no bends and a Big/Free-Flowing air filter. The purpose of your intake is only to draw in as much air as possible, with little to no pressure drop (Restriction). I personally feel I've setup the very best intake for our application by following these rules. I am only speaking on this for a turbocharged vehicle with an upgraded intercooler. Not N/A and not a turbocharged car with no intercooler or one that is already overworked and can't cool off the incoming air any lower.

Last edited:

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Cooler air temps on a turbo car is the intercoolers job. On an NA car, it would make more of a difference. Either way, a tune for either would be the best.!
An intercoolers job is to recool the air after leaving the turbo to keep the air cool. The intake is designed to supply the engine or turbo with cold air. Both benefit from cold air intakes. The cooler the air the more oxygen molecules in it. Which provides better combustion and power. Both benefit from an intake. With a turbo car you will see greater gains once tuned compared to a NA car.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An intercoolers job is to recool the air after leaving the turbo to keep the air cool. The intake is designed to supply the engine or turbo with cold air. Both benefit from cold air intakes. The cooler the air the more oxygen molecules in it. Which provides better combustion and power. Both benefit from an intake. With a turbo car you will see greater gains once tuned compared to a NA car.
I don't think he's disagreeing with you. If you can make an SRI that has 'cool air' being supplied to it that is just as cool as a CAI, the SRI would be a better design. The CAI would only be introducing additional pressure drop (Restrictions and/or Resistance) by the extra piping and bends that come with it.

The vast majority of people have been conditioned to think of an SRI as only being able to take in warm air. You (or a vendor) would have to design an SRI that breathes in cold-air (Ambient temps). It's doable but it'll raise the costs of the intake, making it more expensive.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CAI would only be introducing additional pressure drop (Restrictions and/or Resistance) by the extra piping and bends that come with it.
In mechanical ventilation we call that "dead space". The more length you add to your circuit, the more resistance you have to overcome to be able to breathe.

I'll post this picture of Franco's motor again to illustrate this

Note the distance between the filter and the turbo

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformace Intake Heat Soak? Screenshot_20200725-111348

Here is a pic of Eman's setup

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformace Intake Heat Soak? Screenshot_20200726-030159

It really also depends on what you're doing, but If we're talking short straight line... Short straight breather is gonna be most efficient

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In mechanical ventilation we call that "dead space". The more length you add to your circuit, the more resistance you have to overcome to be able to breathe.

I'll post this picture of Franco's motor again to illustrate this

Note the distance between the filter and the turbo

Screenshot_20200725-111348.png

Here is a pic of Eman's setup

Screenshot_20200726-030159.png

It really also depends on what you're doing, but If we're talking short straight line... Short straight breather is gonna be most efficient

THIS is a perfect turbo intake. I wish I could have done the same with our setup. So I did the next best thing. Attached the biggest maf sensor (PRL Race Maf) to the bigger 27Won turbo inlet pipe. Then attached the biggest, freest (Is this a word) air filter I could to the PRL Race maf. Also tried to add cool air beneath the filter via routing to the foglight, without enclosing the filter in a box.

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I don't think he's disagreeing with you. If you can make an SRI that has 'cool air' being supplied to it that is just as cool as a CAI, the SRI would be a better design. The CAI would only be introducing additional pressure drop (Restrictions and/or Resistance) by the extra piping and bends that come with it.

The vast majority of people have been conditioned to think of an SRI as only being able to take in warm air. You (or a vendor) would have to design an SRI that breathes in cold-air (Ambient temps). It's doable but it'll raise the costs of the intake, making it more expensive.
All I was trying to explain is the gains would be as beneficial on a turbo as it would on a NA car. But once tuned the turbo car would see extra benefit from the denser air charge going into the engine. As for the SRI topic they arent bad for temps at all really. Sure you might cut a few degrees on top of it going to cold air intake but it isn't a huge difference. Mine only sits about 5-10 above ambient. As for restrictions and pressure drop issues in cold air intakes. Most are designed to have as small of a pressure drop as possible and with as few restrictions as possible. The pictures above work only on aftermarket turbos due to the design of the stock one not having anyt way to clamp a filter to it. And they also have better intercoolers to mitigate any heat issues.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
CAIs are hardly effective on na cars in comparison. Both NA and Turbo without a tune a cai on a turbo will likely produce better gains than NA. And when tuned NA cant really get much improvement while a turbo car can crank the boost and see huge gains
Colder air is denser than warm air thus making the NA engine produce more power.

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Colder air is denser than warm air thus making the NA engine produce more power.
Yes but the same applies to turbo engines. That is the main purpose of a cold air intake.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
to be honest I don't push my car hard all the tine im an occasional wot guy but I want my car to run rich or more idk the word but better than stock lol
I would recommend a custom tune. DRob tuned my car and it’s probably the best money I’ve invested into the car. Runs great and safe. Normal mode is super tame and gets 38-40mpg on 30% ethanol. Once I push that sport button though, total different car.

I would honestly recommend a tune before an intake. You would have to buy ktuner or hondata which isn’t cheap but you could find a used one for the price of a cobra.

I kept the short ram on because the turbo sounds and blow off noises are much more pronounced. I didn’t see a benefit of the cobra personally because it didn’t feel any gains and it was quieter.

OP
OP
CivicSiNJ

CivicSiNJ

First Name
Hampsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I would recommend a custom tune. DRob tuned my car and it’s probably the best money I’ve invested into the car. Runs great and safe. Normal mode is super tame and gets 38-40mpg on 30% ethanol. Once I push that sport button though, total different car.

I would honestly recommend a tune before an intake. You would have to buy ktuner or hondata which isn’t cheap but you could find a used one for the price of a cobra.

I kept the short ram on because the turbo sounds and blow off noises are much more pronounced. I didn’t see a benefit of the cobra personally because it didn’t feel any gains and it was quieter.
Yeah my next purchase was going to be a Ktuner with either TSP or Phearable tune not sure yet, but which short ram are you running if you don't mind me asking? Like which company

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah my next purchase was going to be a Ktuner with either TSP or Phearable tune not sure yet, but which short ram are you running if you don't mind me asking? Like which company
Probably best investment into this platform. I have a prl cobra but I left it as short ram with the race maf.

edit: I guess it’s not really a cobra anymore. Just their short ram haha

Welsh

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Country flag
Where did you find the tune for the race maf? I am looking at purchasing the short ram but do not know where to find the tune.

JonnySuicide

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
Yes it heat soaks. I had temps at 100 degrees with factory box and prl upgrade vs 140 with the MAPerformance.
Sponsored