CivicSiNJ

First Name
Hampsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Just bought myself there MAPerformance intake for my 18' Si. Was on the Facebook forums for 10th gens read that this intake is known for heat soak? I wasn't aware of that so if anyone in this forum is running this same intake can you clarify for me if this is true or not?

Also even if it does have issues of heat soaking, will wrapping it with some gold tape or some other heat reduction tape reduce the heat soaking a bit?
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Oh man, that’s a SRI. All SRI are prone to heat soak even if you wrap the tube with a gold heat rejection tape, it’ll still suck in hot air from the engine bay. You’re better off a stock airbox with a drop-in filter instead of a SRI.

Had an Injen SRI before with an AEM dryflow filter. Sounds good but performance sucked even with a DEI heat rejection tape. I reverted back to the stock box using PRL stage 1.

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformace Intake Heat Soak? B1003015-EB4F-4204-ABDF-342E0BF22FD5

OP
OP
CivicSiNJ

CivicSiNJ

First Name
Hampsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Oh man, that’s a SRI. All SRI are prone to heat soak even if you wrap the tube with a gold heat rejection tape, it’ll still suck in hot air from the engine bay. You’re better off a stock airbox with a drop-in filter instead of a SRI.

Had an Injen SRI before with an AEM dryflow filter. Sounds good but performance sucked even with a DEI heat rejection tape. I reverted back to the stock box using PRL stage 1.

B1003015-EB4F-4204-ABDF-342E0BF22FD5.jpeg
Awe man yeah I figured tbh. Well since I already purchased it I guess I could cancel the order before they ship it out, Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
CivicSiNJ

CivicSiNJ

First Name
Hampsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
It pulls air coming off the radiator so heat wrap won’t help much. Maybe they had a reason to design that way but not sure why.
yeah i’m going to try and return it and just buy a prl

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
yeah i’m going to try and return it and just buy a prl
PRL Cobra I hope is what you mean. The PRL SRI heat soaks like any other SRI.

OP
OP
CivicSiNJ

CivicSiNJ

First Name
Hampsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
PRL Cobra I hope is what you mean. The PRL SRI heat soaks like any other SRI.
Yeah i meant the cobra lol also gonna buy a filter shield for it since it goes down to the ground

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a PRL SRI that was a cobra. I never noticed any difference from when it was a cold air or short ram. Mainly because I have a much better intercooler. It’s kind of a misconception with turbo cars. I went back to short ram because the turbo noises are so much louder haha.

OP
OP
CivicSiNJ

CivicSiNJ

First Name
Hampsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I have a PRL SRI that was a cobra. I never noticed any difference from when it was a cold air or short ram. Mainly because I have a much better intercooler. It’s kind of a misconception with turbo cars. I went back to short ram because the turbo noises are so much louder haha.
but did you get any heat soaking or anything of the sort maybe you data was low or something, you’re saying that they SRI and a intercollegiate upgrade is okah to run

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
but did you get any heat soaking or anything of the sort maybe you data was low or something, you’re saying that they SRI and a intercollegiate upgrade is okah to run
Only if I did back to back to back hard runs but it would cool down fairly quick because I have a much bigger and better intercooler and charge piping. The Si has bad heat soak regardless of what intake you have.

If you’re worried about heat soak, an intercooler is what you should be looking into. The oem intake works great. I have an aftermarket one mainly for the sound.

OP
OP
CivicSiNJ

CivicSiNJ

First Name
Hampsen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Only if I did back to back to back hard runs but it would cool down fairly quick because I have a much bigger and better intercooler and charge piping. The Si has bad heat soak regardless of what intake you have.

If you’re worried about heat soak, an intercooler is what you should be looking into. The oem intake works great. I have an aftermarket one mainly for the sound.
So you think if i stay with the maperformance one i should be goood for now and obviously i’d get the inter cooler later down the road ?

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you think if i stay with the maperformance one i should be goood for now and obviously i’d get the inter cooler later down the road ?
You’ll be fine man. Also, if you enjoy turbo noises, you won’t regret getting it.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's basic physics.
SRI < CAI
CAI < SRI + intercooler or CAI + intercooler