MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen MAP Product Preview #2 - Billet Endtank Intercooler for 1.5T Civic day01_04

I have another, hopefully, exciting release teaser to share with you guys. Obviously, when we take a car to the race track, we are hoping to find weak links in the factory design that we can try to develop bigger, better solutions for, thus, supporting the community who will likely need these parts in the near future. Some times that effort is hard... for example... the factory engine continues to thrive at more than double the factory output and the OEM PCV system performs well enough to not require an aftermarket solution...BUT sometimes, weaknesses are easy to find. For example, the factory intercooler and intercooler piping is suitable for the factory power levels... but not too much more beyond that.... which is why we sent a factory intercooler out to be tested.

I don't have all of the data ready to be formatted in a super snazzy, eye pleasing way yet, but I can say that the factory intercooler test yielded the following results:
320cfm flow at roughly 28lbs with 1.7lbs of pressure drop
At peak testing temperature, the factory intercooler cools at approximately 28.7% efficiency meaning that for every 100 degrees of pre intercooler temperature, there is a reduction of only 28.7 degrees post intercooler

Why did we even need that baseline testing? I am glad you asked... because we build billet end tank intercoolers designed around our own custom designed intercooler cores. Our prototype has been in use on our existing drag race car holding in excess of 400whp consistently and being frequently abused. After being satisfied that our initial prototype functioned well, looked good, and was durable enough to survive street use, we decided to send our intercooler out for the same independent analysis as the factory intercooler... which yielded extremely encouraging results:
580cfm flow at roughly 30lbs with .6lbs of pressure drop
At peak testing temperature, our intercooler cools at approximately 47.7% efficiency meaning that for every 100 degrees of pre intercooler temperature, there is a reduction of 47.7% degrees post intercooler

Those numbers might not seem substantially mind altering at 100 degrees, but we are typically seeing 300 degrees peak pre-intercooler numbers which means the factory intercooler post temps are 214 degrees while our MAP is only 157 degrees!

Our intercooler features billet entanks for good looks and durability. Our intercooler is designed for use with stock or our own intercooler piping kit and is track tested and certified ready to take your build to the next level.

More to come soon... but I honestly hope this is enough to get everyone a little jazzed about the 2019 season!

Honda Civic 10th gen MAP Product Preview #2 - Billet Endtank Intercooler for 1.5T Civic HDAX-Intercooler_01

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
I have a lot more compelling data that I will be sharing in the coming weeks, as we approach the initial launch of this product. I want to make sure the launch goes smoothly, for everyone, though. Any interesting in a pre-sale so I can determine the number I need to stock prior to launch. I think I have worked out the kinks on the product manufacturing side to help us better facilitate an order of appreciable size, should it happen.

Thanks again for all of your support!

givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
A few questions about this kit.

1. Price?
2. Fitment, will this be a bolt on or a hack and slash?
3. Does it come in black?

JC671

Youtube: JaySi.671
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI, '90 GTR, '10 370z, '90 Mr2 Turbo
Country flag
Interested to see how does this stack up to PRL’s and 27Won’s once they complete theirs.

Comparisons in CFM and other data.... my interest is peaked. Definitely estimated price and eta would be good as well.

P.S. when are you guys going to start offering port and polish jobs?

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
The intercooler target price is 549.99-599.99
The charge pipe kit has a multitude of options... if you were looking to stay stock recirculated, then the cost would be, not particularly high... from the hip (don't quote me on this as it could be plus or minus) 800-900 for a complete solution.

I am very close to having this firmed up much better for you in the extremely near future.

How much are we looking at for this intercooler and your charge pipes? You've got my interest.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
A few questions about this kit.
1. Price? - 549.99-599.99 for the intercooler
2. Fitment, will this be a bolt on or a hack and slash? - Bolt on solution... should require NO trimming of any components to fit, although I do believe the bumper will need to be removed...that is not particularly difficult, but it is worth noting.
3. Does it come in black? - Oh my...hahahaha... that is a scary question given the recent context...hahahaha... it COULD and it would be much easier for me to accomplish as the process would simply be anodizing. It would be an add on and I would need to determine costs from our local anodizer, but it could be done for certain.

givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
2. Fitment, will this be a bolt on or a hack and slash? - Bolt on solution... should require NO trimming of any components to fit, although I do believe the bumper will need to be removed...that is not particularly difficult, but it is worth noting.
3. Does it come in black? - Oh my...hahahaha... that is a scary question given the recent context...hahahaha... it COULD and it would be much easier for me to accomplish as the process would simply be anodizing. It would be an add on and I would need to determine costs from our local anodizer, but it could be done for certain.
1. Price is definitely do able, right around what I would have expected.

2. I didn't know it was possible to do a fmic without taking off the bumper. You prefer to take out the engine and work from behind?:rofl:
(joking)

3. Figured I should throw that out there early since you know everyone wants it. Can't have a black exhaust and silver intercooler now can we...

Definitely excited to see how this comes out.

ThatDustyFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 Si
Country flag
The intercooler target price is 549.99-599.99
The charge pipe kit has a multitude of options... if you were looking to stay stock recirculated, then the cost would be, not particularly high... from the hip (don't quote me on this as it could be plus or minus) 800-900 for a complete solution.

I am very close to having this firmed up much better for you in the extremely near future.
Good info. I currently have a PRL Cobra on my car. Any chance of a recirc kit working with their intake at all in the future, or would I need to sell my intake and buy yours? I'd love to be able to grab your FMIC (Anodized black please) and charge pipes and run a Tial QR BPV, but I do plan on going bigger turbo in the coming months, and as it stands now, only PRL has released their kit, which is why I have the Cobra on the car currently. So some info on (potential) compatibility with other intakes (Mainly the Cobra) and the turbo kit that you guys are currently working on would help with my decision.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
I will be interested as well... although I can tell you that it is extremely hard to compare intercooler for intercooler. Many things need to be considered when focusing on an intercooler design. Volume, end tank design and fin pack density are the major factors one has to consider...and these options or considerations allow someone to design an intercooler to perform well within a range of desired or predicted optimal operational conditions.

In short, comparisons are difficult because company "A" might target a specific operational condition that contrasts with what company "B" might target... of course, there is always the age old methodology of simply slapping the largest cooler one can fit in a given area... with the knowledge that at the bare minimum, that cooler would likely outperform the factory cooler. This method, while simplistic, can be somewhat successful as the end result is usually superior cooling... and this method also satisfies customers who believe that "bigger and thicker" typically translate to more performance.

At the end of the day, I am confident that our cooler will operate well for a wide range of turbo options and power levels... that we anticipate will be more commonly approached than say, adding a 1000HP rated core to this car. This solution should be very well suited to vehicles that are anywhere between factory power levels, up to 450WHP

Interested to see how does this stack up to PRL’s and 27Won’s once they complete theirs.

Comparisons in CFM and other data.... my interest is peaked. Definitely estimated price and eta would be good as well.

P.S. when are you guys going to start offering port and polish jobs?

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
2. I didn't know it was possible to do a fmic without taking off the bumper. You prefer to take out the engine and work from behind? - Well I do own Audi's so I tend to do a lot of things backwards...hahahaha... BUT in all seriousness... our street core kit for the Mustang Ecoboost actually could be installed without the removal of the bumper... BUT like the Honda, I don't know what the fuss was about... the bumper removal process is actually very easy, IMHO

3. Figured I should throw that out there early since you know everyone wants it. Can't have a black exhaust and silver intercooler now can we.. - HAHAHAHA... okay... I actually just got done with a conversation about anodizing options for this or other intercoolers we offer... It's actually a very good idea you bring up, now I owe you one again.

Definitely excited to see how this comes out. - thank you!

1. Price is definitely do able, right around what I would have expected.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Their kit, being plastic... I just don't know how we would or could make it work... but obviously, our intake will have the option.

Speaking of turbo kits... I have a LOT of good data, from last year's outings... we are digging into a production kit with the objective being repeatable, deliverable, consistent, power...that is smooth and usable. This is resulting in a few changes from our original prototype but draws on that experience.

Good info. I currently have a PRL Cobra on my car. Any chance of a recirc kit working with their intake at all in the future, or would I need to sell my intake and buy yours? I'd love to be able to grab your FMIC (Anodized black please) and charge pipes and run a Tial QR BPV, but I do plan on going bigger turbo in the coming months, and as it stands now, only PRL has released their kit, which is why I have the Cobra on the car currently. So some info on (potential) compatibility with other intakes (Mainly the Cobra) and the turbo kit that you guys are currently working on would help with my decision.

givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Their kit, being plastic... I just don't know how we would or could make it work... but obviously, our intake will have the option.

Speaking of turbo kits... I have a LOT of good data, from last year's outings... we are digging into a production kit with the objective being repeatable, deliverable, consistent, power...that is smooth and usable. This is resulting in a few changes from our original prototype but draws on that experience.
Is this the words i've been waiting for?!?!?! A turbo kit from you guys would definitely have me on the list. Would this be something closer to a 27won drop in or a full big turbo kit similar to prl?

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
So some years ago, we used to build turbos... and I can tell you that the stress to reward level is not there...hahahaha... the result of those efforts have afforded me a new understanding and appreciation for the companies out there that do offer stock frame turbo upgrades, but the lessons we learned also gave us some good fundamentals for developing turbo options and solutions for our customers. The result is that, after having a lot of seat time with this platform, I am super excited about a certain power level... and if I can deliver that power level to the average customer at an approachable price point, I believe that this platform will really take off as an obvious tuner choice.

Long story short... we will be offering an aftermarket turbo solution that will be made to bolt in...but it will be via a conversion method... it won't be a stock frame turbo upgrade. I believe I can deliver more power and reliability by going the route of completely replacing the turbo. The stock turbo is a TD02.5 which isn't substantial enough to support a lot of wheel deflection...at least the amount of shaft deflection I anticipate would be achieved to approach the target deliver HP levels I would want to deliver. To achieve the levels I want to deliver, I will need more turbine shaft, more support for the shaft...and ideally, that support should be able to survive under a wide variety of conditions as I anticipate that this kit will eventually be used for both drag racing and autocross opportunities.

Is this the words i've been waiting for?!?!?! A turbo kit from you guys would definitely have me on the list. Would this be something closer to a 27won drop in or a full big turbo kit similar to prl?

givemeadollar

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So some years ago, we used to build turbos... and I can tell you that the stress to reward level is not there...hahahaha... the result of those efforts have afforded me a new understanding and appreciation for the companies out there that do offer stock frame turbo upgrades, but the lessons we learned also gave us some good fundamentals for developing turbo options and solutions for our customers. The result is that, after having a lot of seat time with this platform, I am super excited about a certain power level... and if I can deliver that power level to the average customer at an approachable price point, I believe that this platform will really take off as an obvious tuner choice.

Long story short... we will be offering an aftermarket turbo solution that will be made to bolt in...but it will be via a conversion method... it won't be a stock frame turbo upgrade. I believe I can deliver more power and reliability by going the route of completely replacing the turbo. The stock turbo is a TD02.5 which isn't substantial enough to support a lot of wheel deflection...at least the amount of shaft deflection I anticipate would be achieved to approach the target deliver HP levels I would want to deliver. To achieve the levels I want to deliver, I will need more turbine shaft, more support for the shaft...and ideally, that support should be able to survive under a wide variety of conditions as I anticipate that this kit will eventually be used for both drag racing and autocross opportunities.
Well shit, now I've gotta wait and buy this too... What sort of power levels are you looking at hitting? We know the w1 turbo from 27won is getting in the 320 to 350 range.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.