First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i would rather have the manual but the wife cant drive one.suggested she turn in her DL but that didnt go over well either.
Amen, brotha. Same boat. The one positive side for me is that the Sport has paddles that make the CVT bearable. Just barely!!!!
Sponsored

thebluse

First Name
chipp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Touring 6sp
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Guys,
I'm one of those old coots who as 20 yr. old, back in 1975 got in a truck of a friend who had a manual Datsun truck and I fell in love w/ driving a manual transmission and have been driving manual Hondas ever since. I now have a 5 speed 93 accord wagon, 326K miles and a 6 speed 2020 Civic sport touring hatchback. For me shifting is natural. Gotta love it!

I love going for drives in the countryside in the 2020!!

Sleeper_FK7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT FK7
Country flag
CVT's I think get a bad rep sometimes. I totally agree that they're kinda weird and don't sound amazing (the transmission whines when spirited driving) but they are quick. I think from a red light and gassing it you'll win most races with a tune, intake, and intercooler. But if youre about do a roll from 30 then you might not have a chance. Manual's at least have the option of upgrading their transmission with better fly wheel's. But from what I've seen on facebook groups with 10th gen civic's is that the manual's tend to blow or have bad slipping on aggressive tune's. But again this is all just my personal opinion and what I've seen. Really wish the civic's had a better automatic transmission like the 10speed one on the honda accords. Wish they would of included with the touring levels since my hatch is 23k and the hatch touring is like 35k for just honda sensing and upgraded dash and headlights and maybe more or less not really sure. Either way I don't think you can really go wrong either way, both are amazing and should appreciate all builds!

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Yeah the CVT is one of the least inspiring transmissions I’ve ever driven. I really wish Honda would back the 1.5T with the 8-speed dual clutch in the Acura ILX

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
i would rather have the manual but the wife cant drive one.suggested she turn in her DL but that didnt go over well either.
From a completely opposite perspective: my wife is the person who actually taught me to drive manual. When I bought my new 2001 Audi A4, she drove it off the dealer's lot into a nearby corporate car park. Then she patiently helped me figure out the basics, as I proceeded to spend the next half hour alternately stalling out and jerking the car all over the lot. Eventually we made it home in one piece, so in retrospect, I guess the lesson was pretty effective.

Today, I'm the one driving the 6MT and she's fully transitioned over to CVT. Never expresses any interest in driving my car...except maybe if she needs to go somewhere and I'm blocking her in the driveway.

905User

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'd still take a CVT over a standard automatic transmission any day (unless it comes to repair cost).

I can't see standard cars being around forever at least on the non high end sport cars as the demand isn't what it used to be. Sort if sad when you consider it's a built in anti theft device for most millennials.

With the traffic in the big city where I live today, the CVT has it's place and with the turbo it's nice, especially now that it's tuned.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This thread could go on forever but I think we can (hopefully) agree on these three things.

1. From a pure driving engagement perspective, a manual is king. All Civics with manuals are fun to drive no matter what engine.

2. There's some fun to be had with a CVT / turbo / tune combo. Nice balance of fun, convenience and economy.

3. A CVT in a base or turbo model on the factory tune is a fine commuter, but the fun factor is limited.

One thing I want to point out to those saying "everyone should drive a manual". In the case of the Civic, that would mostly mean buying an Si, Type R or maybe a Sport hatch. The fact is, there are very few manuals available in the other models compared to the CVT. In my case I wanted a manual Civic turbo (non-Si) back in 2017, but couldn't find one in my color of choice.

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Something that's been hit on in the past few posts that rings true is manual availability. If you want to row your own gears stay vocal about it, especially to manufacturers. It's not my preference, but it deserves to be a choice.

I'd argue that at least learning to drive stick is an important thing.
Sponsored