Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Stock for Stock the 1.5 turbo cvt ain't miles ahead of the na cvt, it's like less than half a second faster, won't make any difference in driving unless tuned
Actually, it's not close at all.

Most pro reviews show the stock 1.5T CVT at 6.6 to 6.8 secs, 0-60. The 2.0 CVT in the low 8 second range.

Here are C&D's test drive numbers:

1.5T CVT
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual vs CVT just a humble opinion... Screenshot_20210410-123234

2.0 CVT
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual vs CVT just a humble opinion... Screenshot_20210410-123012

The CVT mates up much better with the turbo than it does with the NA engine. Interestingly, where the CVT turbos are probably as quick or quicker than the manual ones, the 2.0 NA with a manual is noticeably quicker than the 2.0 CVT version.

2.0 Manual
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual vs CVT just a humble opinion... Screenshot_20210410-125049

Last edited:

MadManx1

Project X1
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Cvt
Country flag
Cvt can adapt to your driving style learn to feel your car out cvt with paddle shifters you cant go wrong

Wickedsprint

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
Country flag
Actually, it's not close at all.

Most pro reviews show the stock 1.5T CVT at 6.6 to 6.8 secs, 0-60. The 2.0 CVT in the low 8 second range.

Here are C&D's test drive numbers:

1.5T CVT
Screenshot_20210410-123234.png

2.0 CVT
Screenshot_20210410-123012.png

The CVT mates up much better with the turbo than it does with the NA engine. Interestingly, where the CVT turbos are probably as quick or quicker than the manual ones, the 2.0 NA with a manual is noticeably quicker than the 2.0 CVT version.

2.0 Manual
Screenshot_20210410-125049.png
Nicely summed up. Basically 1.5cvt is about ~12 cars ahead of a 2.0 CVT and ~8 cars ahead of the manual 2.0 at the end of a 1/4 mile assuming .1 sec per car length

BigRedtheGinger

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport 6MT, 1988 Honda CRX SI, 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 V8
Country flag
I'm glad I got my Sport with a 6MT. One of my roommates has a 19 LX CVT, and when I rode with him, it didn't sound that great. Then again I also got a KTuner and swapped the muffler for a Coffin Muffler after 6 months of ownership, so CVT would sound horrible with my exhaust.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
My dealer once gave me a civic CVT as a loaner when my 6mt was in for service. I absolutely hated it. It drives like the gas pedal isn't connected to the engine. And the way the RPM's vary up and down and seem unrelated to the drive to the wheels drove me nuts. I understand it's a good trans for those with no interest in driving pleasure. It's great for moms driving the munchkins to school or going to the grocery store. I get it. Good gas mileage , minimum involvement.
But count me out.

AudioSi

First Name
Kaleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe, 2019 Hatch EX
Country flag
I have a 20 Si coupe and a 19 hatch. The cvt is cool for everyday driving, comfortable and gets the job done. However, idc what you have to say, it is not sporty at all. When you floor it it just holds rpm and sounds like a vacuum, if you have an exhaust it sounds like a fart from behind. It lags to jump the rpms up when you gas it. Even in "S" it still drops rpm when you get off the gas so any spirited driving is useless because it lags to raise the rpm when you get back on it. The body roll on the non Si civics is worrying, while the Si is extremely confident in corners. The only plus to a cvt vs the Si is the lack of shifting. Honda makes such an easy manual imo there's almost no excuse to choose the cvt over a manual because "traffic". I daily my Si in San Diego with 0 issues. If you want sporty, get a Si. The non Si civics aren't race cars, especially the CVTs.

Last edited:

IonEX-T

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-t
Country flag
I have a tuned 1.5t cvt and regularly drive a accord 2.0T manual. In my opinion I see a lot of people having a confirmation bias against the cvt because it is thought to be a boring, automatic, laggy, bad sounding transmission and people like to defend manuals. A lot of these people making these claims have only driven stock cvt. Anyone who has driven a tuned cvt knows that they knows they can be a lot of fun especially with aggressive tunes, I bet some of you would be surprised. Everyone knows manuals are awesome but people should not be so quick to dismiss the cvt and what it can offer.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have a tuned 1.5t cvt and regularly drive a accord 2.0T manual. In my opinion I see a lot of people having a confirmation bias against the cvt because it is thought to be a boring, automatic, laggy, bad sounding transmission and people like to defend manuals. A lot of these people making these claims have only driven stock cvt. Anyone who has driven a tuned cvt knows that they knows they can be a lot of fun especially with aggressive tunes, I bet some of you would be surprised. Everyone knows manuals are awesome but people should not be so quick to dismiss the cvt and what it can offer.
See that's exactly it. And as I've said before I was a manual purist and kind of thought people driving automatics weren't really driving. lol

When I first got the CVT I hated it. But a tune totally transforms the way it feels/sounds. Of course, a manual is twice as engaging, but tuned, a 1.5T CVT is hella fun. Throw on a few suspension mods/decent tires and it's damn competent too.

Last edited:

RetroRacer1980

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Civic Sport Sedan(sold)ā€™12 Camaro SS/RS ā€˜23WRX
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
My dealer once gave me a civic CVT as a loaner when my 6mt was in for service. I absolutely hated it. It drives like the gas pedal isn't connected to the engine. And the way the RPM's vary up and down and seem unrelated to the drive to the wheels drove me nuts. I understand it's a good trans for those with no interest in driving pleasure. It's great for moms driving the munchkins to school or going to the grocery store. I get it. Good gas mileage , minimum involvement.
But count me out.
With the 2.0 K20c2 motor the manual is definitely the way to go. I was really surprised at how much more engaging the 2.0 motor was when paired to a manual transmission after test driving both.
I went with a 2020 sport sedan with the 6 speed manual as I felt it was the most reliable way to get a 10th Gen civic for a daily driver. (Already have a fast weekend car). The 2.0 port injected naturally aspirated engine paired with the 6 speed manual to me felt like the best bet for longevity.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
See that's exactly it. And as I've said before I was a manual purist and kind of thought people driving automatics weren't really driving. lol

When I first got the CVT I hated it. But a tune totally transforms the way it feels/sounds. Of course, a manual is twice as engaging, but tuned, a 1.5T CVT is hella fun. Throw on a few suspension mods/decent tires and it's damn competent too.
I feel like the paddles definitely make a deference and supposedly can deliver more torque than the non-paddle CVT. Even being untuned sometimes Iā€™m in disbelief of how nice it feels. Iā€™m glad I have 3 other cars so I get a good frame of reference for the Civic. Our M2 Comp 6MT is a beast all itā€™s own, of course. My automatic Z4 Coupe 3.0 is pretty quick and can snap your neck with acceleration, but not nearly as responsive as the Civic CVT when using the ZF tiptronic paddles. Despite have 60 more ponies, the midrange performance feels more or less equal between the two cars. The Z4 shows itā€™s true pedigree in the ā€œgo to jailā€ speed range. My e46 325i feels automatic stupid slow compared to the Civic due to its heft.

I donā€™t disagree with anyone for preferring a manual, but once you start modifying the car, the just CVT delivers. I fully expected that once I bought my Z4 I wouldnā€™t enjoy driving the Civic as much, but nah, sheā€™s still my preferred car of choice most days, especially for longer drives. Itā€™s no sports car, but itā€™s enough to keep me tickled.

dgordon7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX - 6MT
Country flag
I'm thankful I live in smaller town and haven't had to contend with a commute either into or out of a big NA city for many years. If I did, the CVT would have been a really begrudging pick as there's nothing sporty about being stuck in traffic for hours. But for anyone who has the opportunity to drive in less congested areas then a manual is so much more engaging. And as said here, many times, Honda makes one of the very best. I am sure the turbo is a great engine. I got the 2.0 NA for simplicity and longevity and love it. And it's manual which is really fun to drive. I enjoy it each day. And I have no doubt the turbo's of any variant with a manual would be more fun also for the same reasons. If you can, manual all the way.
Sponsored