CivicChina

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found an original leather steering wheel, brand new just removed from a car that is getting a custom carbon/alcantara wheel. Installation included for 60$. not bad! I have to find the time to stop by the shop and do the swap. I am also looking for an original sport leather shift knob but it seems very hard, since there are no Civics with this knob in China and i don't want aftermarket or freezing cold metal stuff.

OP
OP
CivicChina

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Love the glossy pillar covers and bumper trims, all just wrapped in a cheap vinyl. I tried wrapping the lower part of the front grille but it's really hard and i was running out of time, so i gave up.

Honda Civic 10th gen Manual TURBO IMG_6082.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Manual TURBO IMG_6076.JPG

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Old argument but I see this come up on every enthusiast board involving manual transmissions. And I've had this conversation specifically with couple Honda Master Techs here in So Cal (among other things). The modern units are designed to absorb the typical vertical force exerted by a user's hand, either from shifting or resting. But they all agree that 1-2 lbs of horizontal force is enough to start gnawing away at the shifter forks. In other words, you REALLY have to be ignorant to infringe on the synchros.

When they pull these units apart, 90% of the sheer patterns are consistent with "forcing" the forks across the synchros. Meaning, the clutch is not fully disengaged when the user attempts to disengage/engage a gear. Or the drivetrain is under tremendous force/flex from a full throttle shift. On higher torque cars like the WRX, MS3, or ST, this is much more prevalent in the lower gears. Mainly 2nd and 3rd. Combined with the younger/inexperienced crowd to which these cars are marketed, it's a recipe for widespread failure. And I can almost guarantee we'll see similar long term patterns in a high torque/low RPM motor like the 1.5.

CN: The myth is somewhat real. But it's a habit I've tried to get out of, if only to keep both hands on the wheel more often. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: