Recked

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Civic EX Sedan, 2009 VW Passat Wagon (Turbo), 2014 Honda Pioneer
Hey Everyone,

I had to create a new profile, as I lost my old one. I've been more of a lurker in these forums, but I've also contributed quite a bit in the past. I currently drive a 2015 Civic EX sedan. It's a lease, and it expires next year in September. However, I can't keep myself from picturing my next ride. I'm currently narrowing it down to two choices, and they are:

1) 2018/19 Civic EX Sedan in a manual
2) 2018/19 Civic Hatchback Sport in a manual

Are the manuals in these current models exactly the same? Meaning is it the same timing, ratio, and travel between these two models, or is the Sport Hatch more like the Si?

What are the Pros and Cons of a 10th generation manual Civic? I don't like a loosey-goosey knob that has too much travel in between neutral and a gear. I like things nice and tight, or sporty. I would go look at a manual, and test drive one, but apparently San Diego doesn't believe in manual transmission (outside of the type R and Si.)
Sponsored

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
It's not San Diego that "doesn't believe in manual transmissions". American Honda is playing upsell games with the manuals by holding them off the market. Their hope is that you'll settle for the CVT which has a higher profit margin for them.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm a big fan of my Hatchback Sport (6MT). My understanding is that the shifter / transmission is no different then the "normal" one. The knob in the Sport is leather wrapped, not sure about the EX. The clutch is super light but you may already be used to that. There are lots of mods available to tune the shifter as desired. I installed Acuity base bushings and the Sirimoto short shift adapter.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I'm currently narrowing it down to two choices, and they are:

1) 2018/19 Civic EX Sedan in a manual
2) 2018/19 Civic Hatchback Sport in a manual

Are the manuals in these current models exactly the same? Meaning is it the same timing, ratio, and travel between these two models, or is the Sport Hatch more like the Si?

What are the Pros and Cons of a 10th generation manual Civic? I don't like a loosey-goosey knob that has too much travel in between neutral and a gear. I like things nice and tight, or sporty. I would go look at a manual, and test drive one, but apparently San Diego doesn't believe in manual transmission (outside of the type R and Si.)
(1) The EX sedan has the 2.0L naturally-aspirated engine and CVT only (no manual). The EX-T sedan has the 1.5L turbocharged engine and a manual option. (Good luck finding one.)

(2) The Sport hatchback manual is very basic - no sunroof, no pushbutton start, no satellite/HD radio, no Android Auto or CarPlay, no Lane Watch camera, no heated seats/mirrors, no dual-zone climate control, etc. (Good luck finding one.)

(3) The regular Civic and Civic Si have the same manual transmission, but everything from the shift knob down to the transmission is different giving the Civic Si a different (better) shift feel.

(4) If you're considering an EX-T manual, you might as well consider an Si since there are a LOT of differences for the extra $3,375. Plus, the Si will be much easier to find locally and in the color you want.

Here are the differences between the EX-T and Si:

• engine output increased to 205 HP @ 5,700 RPM (SAE net) and 192 lb-ft torque @ 2,100-5,000 RPM (SAE net)
  • higher maximum boost pressure (20.3 vs. 16.5 PSI)
  • lower compression ratio (10.3:1 vs. 10.6:1)
  • higher-capacity MHI TD03 turbocharger (9-vane vs. 11-vane)
  • helical limited-slip differential
  • larger front brake rotors (12.3" vs. 11.1" vented front and 11.1" vs. 10.2" solid rear)
  • two-mode adaptive damper system with normal and firm settings
  • SPORT mode replaces ECON mode - increases suspension damping, reduces power steering assist, increases throttle sensitivity, and raises the activation threshold of the Vehicle Stability Assist system
  • 235/40R18 91W tires vs. 215/50R17 91H
  • 7% stiffer front spring rate
  • 18% stiffer front upper damper mounts
  • 7% stiffer front stabilizer bar rate
  • 32% stiffer rear spring rate
  • Solid vs. fluid-filled front and rear compliance bushings (rear shared with the Type R)
  • High-stiffness rear upper control arms (shared with the Type R)
  • 26% stiffer rear stabilizer bar rate
  • Si-specific seats with thicker side bolsters, non-adjustable headrests, and stitched "Si" logos
  • red interior stitching, gauges, and Display Audio color scheme
  • black headliner and pillar trim vs. gray in EX-T
  • front and rear facias similar to the hatchback
  • center-mounted polygonal exhaust outlet
  • higher-flowing intake system
  • 23% higher-flowing exhaust system
  • aluminum clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals
  • carbon fiber-look interior trim
  • 10% shorter shifter stroke
  • leather-wrapped, aluminum shift knob
  • revised shift linkage
  • increased rigidity of shifter bracket mount
  • 450-watt audio system (same as EX-T coupe vs. 180-watt in EX-T sedan)
  • additional items in Driver Information Display including G-force meter, turbo boost gauge with PSI indication, lap timer, throttle percentage, and brake pressure
  • leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift boot, and shift knob

OP
OP
Recked

Recked

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not San Diego that "doesn't believe in manual transmissions". American Honda is playing upsell games with the manuals by holding them off the market. Their hope is that you'll settle for the CVT which has a higher profit margin for them.
Oh man, that's shady. When I lived in LA, specifically Santa Monica, their lineup consisted of quite a few manuals. I was told that this was because it attracted a lot of international buyers, and they had a stronger market for it. Never give up then!

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
By September next year you'll be able to get a killer lease deal on an outgoing 2018. The 2019s are expected to carry over quite a few changes via mid model refresh.

I agree with the above recommendation - if you can afford the Si, get it.

OP
OP
Recked

Recked

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(1) The EX sedan has the 2.0L naturally-aspirated engine and CVT only (no manual). The EX-T sedan has the 1.5L turbocharged engine and a manual option. (Good luck finding one.)

(2) The Sport hatchback manual is very basic - no sunroof, no pushbutton start, no satellite/HD radio, no Android Auto or CarPlay, no Lane Watch camera, no heated seats/mirrors, no dual-zone climate control, etc. (Good luck finding one.)

(3) The regular Civic and Civic Si have the same manual transmission, but everything from the shift knob down to the transmission is different giving the Civic Si a different (better) shift feel.

(4) If you're considering an EX-T manual, you might as well consider an Si since there are a LOT of differences for the extra $3,375. Plus, the Si will be much easier to find locally and in the color you want.

Here are the differences between the EX-T and Si:
Sigh....that's really irritating /\

I'm fully aware of the quips you've pointed out. I'd be fine with the 1.5L Turbo, as it is the only option for a manual transmission. Does the LX manual come w/ the 1.5 or 2.0? Problem is, I haven't seen a single manual out in the wild, regardless of EX sedan or Sport Hatch, and that's a big concern. I routinely come across a variety of Si's on dealership lots, and I am inclined to take that route, though less MPGs + supreme gasoline (plus higher insurance rates) considerably add to the additional $3,375.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
More than San Diego or American Honda, it's the American people that don't believe in manuals transmissions. The latest reports show that less than 3% of all vehicles sold in the US have manuals transmissions. This is NOT due to "games" being played by manufacturers. Instead, its simply the manufacturer's response to consumer demand. 97% of people don't want manual transmissions anymore.

There are fewer parts in a manual transmission, but this lower material cost is offset by economies of scale due to fewer manuals being produced. From a profit perspective, Honda couldn't care less if the people want a manual or an automatic - they'll continue to price them to maintain a certain profit margin either way just as they always have. That "last 3%" of us who enjoy driving manuals is of decreasing importance to automakers.

If profit drove a manufacturer's preference for CVTs, you'd see them currently being offered in the Si and Type R as well.

Does the LX manual come w/ the 1.5 or 2.0?

I routinely come across a variety of Si's on dealership lots, and I am inclined to take that route, though less MPGs + supreme gasoline (plus higher insurance rates) considerably add to the additional $3,375.
LX sedan/coupe is 2.0L
LX hatchback is 1.5T

If you're worried about fuel economy, you don't need to be looking at a manual. CVTs get better fuel economy than manuals.

You don't have to use premium gasoline, but it's recommended for the best performance.

You might be surprised about insurance - there's very little difference for most people between the regular Civic, Si, and even Type R.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Recked

Recked

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX sedan/coupe is 2.0L
LX hatchback is 1.5T

If you're worried about fuel economy, you don't need to be looking at a manual. CVTs get better fuel economy than manuals.

You don't have to use premium gasoline, but it's recommended for the best performance.

You might be surprised about insurance - there's very little difference for most people between the regular Civic, Si, and even Type R.
Fuel economy is only a concern with the Si, which takes premium and averages around 32MPG (combined). Gas near me is $2.99 for regular, and that's the cheapest; aka Costco. It's not a huge deal, rather, a factor I take into consideration with my next vehicle choice.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Fuel economy is only a concern with the Si, which takes premium and averages around 32MPG (combined). Gas near me is $2.99 for regular, and that's the cheapest; aka Costco. It's not a huge deal, rather, a factor I take into consideration with my next vehicle choice.
Here's my Si. As of this post, I'm sitting at 34.4 MPG actual combined average over about 5,000 miles. I drive it like an Si is expected to be driven and make little to no attempt to drive efficiently with a fuel economy goal in mind. If I make a conscious effort to shift below 3K and avoid WOT, I'll average 40 MPG. It's really rather impressive in my opinion. I once had a Buick Regal with similar power levels from a 3.8L V6 that barely got half what the Civic gets. I pay about $2.60/gallon for 93 octane top-tier from Exxon.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic/2017/zroger73/625488

OP
OP
Recked

Recked

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
T
Here's my Si. As of this post, I'm sitting at 34.4 MPG actual combined average over about 5,000 miles. I drive it like an Si is expected to be driven and make little to no attempt to drive efficiently with a fuel economy goal in mind. If I make a conscious effort to shift below 3K and avoid WOT, I'll average 40 MPG. It's really rather impressive in my opinion. I once had a Buick Regal with similar power levels from a 3.8L V6 that barely got half what the Civic gets. I pay about $2.60/gallon for 93 octane top-tier from Exxon.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/civic/2017/zroger73/625488
That's insane. My EX sedan gets that, and I drive it rather aggressively. Granted it's the 2015, but still. Have you done any modifications to your Si? Is it worth it to add tasteful exhaust and/or headers?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Autotrader is showing 690 manual Sport hatches in the country right now so you have options. Back when I got mine there were always less than 100 in the country. 205 EX-T manual sedans. Your choice as to what options you want. I am happy with my Sport hatch 6MT as I couldn't care less about all that tech. It does what I need it to do and has the aftermarket options that you would need to upgrade if you desired the tech and power.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you done any modifications to your Si? Is it worth it to add tasteful exhaust and/or headers?
None. I trade vehicles fairly often and I'm OCD about keeping them clean and original. I even use Honda-branded maintenance items such as oil, filters, and wiper blades. I buy vehicles based on how they come from the factory and have little to no desire to make them louder or faster. If I wanted something louder or faster I'd have bought it. :D

Autotrader is showing 690 manual Sport hatches in the country right now so you have options. 205 EX-T manual sedans.
And over 3,000 Si. On average, that's about 3 Si per dealer, 1 Sport hatchback per every two dealers, and 1 EX-T manual sedan per every five dealers. The latter is almost as rare as the Type R. :eek:

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
Just buy a Type R. It only comes in manual and the transmission is made in Japan and not China. Best of all your options.