Manual transmission rare?

paid2play

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring, 2017 Honda Hatchback Sport
If you want a car that makes you look for reasons to go to store so that you can drive your car, get the manual. As long as you accelerate into the gear you are shifting into you wont notice the rev hang. Easy adjustment, just drive a little more spirited. To avoid the rev all together just shift thru the gears sooner. Bottom line if you want a car to look nice, get great gas mileage and be reliable get the cvt. However, if you consider yourself a DRIVER, you will enjoy the hell out of a manual transmission on this engine. I have the Hatchback manual and I will just go out for drives for no reason other to just drive.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Accord EX Sedan
Country flag
So the lowest OTD price on a 2017 honda Civic sedan EX-T manual transmission I can find is $21,500, including mud guards, trunk tray and wheel locks. Should I pull the trigger now, or wait to see if I can negotiate more at the end of the month to get a better deal?

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
So the lowest OTD price on a 2017 honda Civic sedan EX-T manual transmission I can find is $21,500, including mud guards, trunk tray and wheel locks. Should I pull the trigger now, or wait to see if I can negotiate more at the end of the month to get a better deal?
We don't know your taxes nor registration costs. What is the price of the car only, including delivery fee?

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
If OTD is 21.5, it sounds like a reasonable deal to me, but yeah, a breakdown would help to compare apples to apples. Like 1.5Civic said, OTD is not a good comparison because taxes and registration costs vary from state to state.

OP
OP

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We don't know your taxes nor registration costs. What is the price of the car only, including delivery fee?
$22,335 is the MSRP for the vehicle that the dealership is selling it for. Right now that's all I know because they haven't showed me anything else regarding other numbers, not that I've asked or anything. It was basically me saying a dealership offered me that deal, can you beat or match it, kind of thing.

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
It's it worth it to get the manual, or should I just get a CVT? I don't know how to drive a manual, but I could learn, however, I hate the rev hang and lag when you push the pedal to the for and it takes a second or two for the rpms to respond. I hear a lot of great things about manual transmissions, but I can't really relate since I haven't driven one. I'm more so leaning towards manual because of the driving experience as well as saving money when I purchase the car, but your opinions would be appreciated.
I learned to drive with a manual, but my first two cars were automatic. Then I was intrigued in owning a manual because I got a vague recollection that it was kinda fun. I called up some driving school to see if they had a manual. I signed up for few hours lesson and it was confirmed that driving manual was fun. So my third car was manual, so fun I told everybody I wished my commute had been longer so that I could drive more LOL. My fourth and current car is automatic, though.

I don't think it's a good idea to get a manual not knowing how to drive one. How are you gonna drive it off the dealer? It may take a while to learn it.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
$22,335 is the MSRP for the vehicle that the dealership is selling it for. Right now that's all I know because they haven't showed me anything else regarding other numbers, not that I've asked or anything. It was basically me saying a dealership offered me that deal, can you beat or match it, kind of thing.
If you pay any sort of taxes, then it's probably a decent deal. OTD should include their doc fees as well. I understand they are fighting with their local competition so OTD pricing is what counts. Have you taken their $21.5 OTD pricing to any other dealers to see if they can beat it?

OP
OP

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you pay any sort of taxes, then it's probably a decent deal. OTD should include their doc fees as well. I understand they are fighting with their local competition so OTD pricing is what counts. Have you taken their $21.5 OTD pricing to any other dealers to see if they can beat it?
I have, I'm talking to 13 dealerships to work something out.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I have, I'm talking to 13 dealerships to work something out.
Do all 13 have a manual on their lot? If so that's a heck of a lot in one area. I'm in the DC area and there aren't that many here. Less than 10 I believe. It will be interesting to see if and by how much other dealers beat $21.5 OTD. For sure good luck and post what you learn!

OP
OP

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do all 13 have a manual on their lot? If so that's a heck of a lot in one area. I'm in the DC area and there aren't that many here. Less than 10 I believe. It will be interesting to see if and by how much other dealers beat $21.5 OTD. For sure good luck and post what you learn!
No, they don't have any on the lot, all the ones I've spoken with have to order some in. And I've had dealerships that have said there is no way they can beat $21.5 OTD and that it's an insanely good deal.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
No, they don't have any on the lot, all the ones I've spoken with have to order some in. And I've had dealerships that have said there is no way they can beat $21.5 OTD and that it's an insanely good deal.
Well then if the original dealership will keep/honor $21.5 OTD then may be time to buy. Is it the color you're looking for? If the price of the actual car is under $20k before TTL then you're getting a good deal and probably won't be able to beat it by much a few months later.

OP
OP

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well then if the original dealership will keep/honor $21.5 OTD then may be time to buy. Is it the color you're looking for? If the price of the actual car is under $20k before TTL then you're getting a good deal and probably won't be able to beat it by much a few months later.
They don't have cosmic blue, which is the color I want, but they have Aegean Blue.

RallyeRedHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got lucky and was starting the search for a Manual Civic Sport, and ran across mine at a dealer in my hometown. I went 2 days later and bought it ($23,700 OTD TT&L with 3.3%, it had dealer installed side moldings, ceramic based tint, wheel locks, door edge/mirror protection, GAP, 100,000 mile/72 month warranty, and 3 years of service. I also got the tall all weather mats and trunk mat included at no cost.) I wanted an Aegean Blue manual sport but ended up with a Rallye Red (3rd choice).

Salesman didn't even realize they had a manual until he tried to show me how to switch to the paddles while waiting to pull out of the dealership. He had said it was the first one he had seen. I got a low price and some free extras because I threatened to walk out a couple times during the price negotiations (mostly because they had added stuff I didn't want and because of color and lack of nicer radio option for Sport)

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Yep, like I said, if TTL is all included in the 21.5, I'd say go for it. Unless you are really against a certain color, in the end, you might end up liking the color you get as it grows on you. If it's THE CAR you want, the color would be an okay compromise. That happened to me with my LX.

As for driving away from the lot, if you are not sure about driving the manual, you could ask someone to drive it home, with you. Nice idea to go to a driving school, @16extsense!

regularguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX w/sensing, 16 Civic EX
Country flag
It's it worth it to get the manual, or should I just get a CVT? I don't know how to drive a manual, but I could learn, however, I hate the rev hang and lag when you push the pedal to the for and it takes a second or two for the rpms to respond. I hear a lot of great things about manual transmissions, but I can't really relate since I haven't driven one. I'm more so leaning towards manual because of the driving experience as well as saving money when I purchase the car, but your opinions would be appreciated.
I've driven several Hondas into the ground, and this car is my first non-manual. Manuals are definitely a lot more fun to drive, but my main reason for driving them was for better reliability and fuel efficiency. The tables have now turned on fuel efficiency, and although it's still a bit early to tell, my guess is that a Honda CVT will last a while if not abused. And speaking of which, it's a lot easier to abuse an engine and transmission on a manual than on an automatic.
Also, if you're buying new, I would think twice about going manual simply because you can't get Sensing. I suspect that in a few years, any car without collision mitigation is going to be out of place on the road and probably have higher insurance rates.
Sponsored