Manual transmission rare?

maaaaackle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
I work in sales at a Honda dealership in Columbia, SC. I've been working there for a little over 4 years now so I've come accustom to Honda's production habits. I can honestly say that Honda previously had a build rate of like 1.5%-2.5% for the manual transmission equipped civics in the 9th gen. It wasn't much at all, very weird to come across one.

I think Honda knows that most of the manual transmission buyers out there are reserved for the Si buyers, and CTR buyers. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if Honda ramps up the production just a tad on manual transmission (in my opinion the Sport Hatchback would see most of the production increase) for the 2018 model year. Only because these manuals are selling relatively quick and yes, they are more profitable because of their demand. You can't blame dealerships for sticking to there guns and staying near or at MSRP for a low supply and high demand configuration. People seem to forget that dealerships are a retail store.

But I would say that I think that they are coming in waves as far as assembly. We will get one or two at a time that are on the same delivery truck, then won't have another truck of any manuals for the next 5 or 6 deliveries.

So from my personal experiences at my dealership (mid volume)..

- Yes, the manuals have a MUCH lower build rate than CVTs currently, and aren't very available (at least in the Southeast region)
- Yes, dealerships understand that they are higher demand, and low supply. Most are charging very close to MSRP if not just a few hundred dollars off. (Sport Hatchbacks being the most sought after)
- I think we could potentially see a SMALL increase in production rate for 2018 models, making them slightly more available, but I don't know that for sure. I think that Si sales could impact that some what as well, especially if Honda prices the Si too high and people continue to seek out the other lower trim levels in a manual.
When I picked up my Sport Hatch, I tried to negotiate the price and the dealership told me they couldnt.

Shopped around 2-3 other places with manuals and all of them didnt budge one bit.

Ended up paying only about $200 less than MSRP but landed myself a brand new 2017 civic hatch sport.

theyre rare. but they are definitely out there. just be patient !
Sponsored

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
When I picked up my Sport Hatch, I tried to negotiate the price and the dealership told me they couldnt.

Shopped around 2-3 other places with manuals and all of them didnt budge one bit.

Ended up paying only about $200 less than MSRP but landed myself a brand new 2017 civic hatch sport.

theyre rare. but they are definitely out there. just be patient !
Yeah that sounds about right, the most I've seen a manual sport hatchback discounted was about $450. And that was only because the guy was buying his third car from us. He even shopped around price in the surrounding states and was quoted MSRP or above.

Congrats on the new hatch btw, I was lucky enough ought to drive the manual sport we had before it was sold. In my opinion that is easily one of the best bang for your buck vehicles out there. SUPER practical and such a blast to drive!

spock_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
How out of wack is the manual hatchback imbalance? So much that one dealer's best price on lx civic manual hatch was MORE expensive than what the dealer offered the manual lx accord. Yeah I know they are totally different drivers but says a lot about 1)hatch civic inventory on 6MT 2)how poorly mid level sedans are selling right now. Dealer was straight up about it too.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only saw 38 in the country last night on autotrader and some of those could have been sold already.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Bottom line, dealers can't 'order' cars anymore. Honda allocates the cars, and they'll build what they're going to build regardless of demand.
That would be correct...mostly. More specifically, Honda, Toyota, and most other "import" brands cannot be ordered by the dealer. The manufacturer determines which models, trims, colors, and quantities each dealer gets based initially on predicted sales then refined once a sales history is established. Every vehicle that is on a Honda or Toyota lot is there because that's what the manufacturer sent - not what the dealer ordered.

On the other hand, "domestic" brands like Ford and Chevrolet are always ordered by the dealer who specifies what they want from an "order book" that lists all the valid combinations and the manufacturer builds it and ships it directly to that dealer. Every vehicle that is on a Ford or Chevrolet lot is there because that's what the dealer ordered - not what the manufacturer sent - and is essentially a "custom order".

As others have alluded to, each Honda dealer can put in a request for a particular vehicle using their APEX (Allocation Preference and Exchange) system that was implemented a few years ago. However, that does NOT guarantee that vehicle will be built - it simply increases the chances of the dealer getting that particular vehicle if Honda happens to schedule that particular vehicle for production based on their own decision.

If you want a green Si coupe and go "order" one from a dealer and they put in an APEX request, Honda won't build one based on that request. Instead, the dealer will be given priority to the next one that enters production (if there is one).

If you want a brown Ford F-150 pickup with a long bed and crew cab in King Ranch trim with a handful of specific, available options, the dealer will order that exact combination from Ford and Ford will schedule it for production and it'll be in your driveway in a couple of months.

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport 6 speed
Yeah that sounds about right, the most I've seen a manual sport hatchback discounted was about $450. And that was only because the guy was buying his third car from us. He even shopped around price in the surrounding states and was quoted MSRP or above.
white on ivory Sport Hatchback 6speed, only configuration I wanted, $19,800 b4 tax, tag, title plus about $500 in options (high wall mats, rear seat cover, bumper protector, cargo tray, window tint). Purchased in FL on 3/15. Came from dealer trade made with S.C. dealer that had it on order, took 4 weeks from time of location till delivery. Maybe things have changed dramatically since then, but at the time I had found one on the lot across state and dealer said they would price match (who knows for sure until the deal is made if you know what I mean). Looks like $1500 under MSRP too me...

jdmk20akid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Civic w/ B18c5, 2016 Honda Accord EX w/ Honda Sensing
Country flag
white on ivory Sport Hatchback 6speed, only configuration I wanted, $19,800 b4 tax, tag, title plus about $500 in options (high wall mats, rear seat cover, bumper protector, cargo tray, window tint). Purchased in FL on 3/15. Came from dealer trade made with S.C. dealer that had it on order, took 4 weeks from time of location till delivery. Maybe things have changed dramatically since then, but at the time I had found one on the lot across state and dealer said they would price match (who knows for sure until the deal is made if you know what I mean). Looks like $1500 under MSRP too me...
What was your total out of the door? With and without sales tax?

That's a crazy good deal, so I'm wondering how much their "doc fee" was, and what not. However, I don't doubt they could have done that price, the market is pretty slow here right now in the South East, so maybe they're getting aggressive enough to just move the units where you're at.

Regardless though, congrats on the new car! That car is a blast!

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What was your total out of the door? With and without sales tax?

That's a crazy good deal, so I'm wondering how much their "doc fee" was, and what not. However, I don't doubt they could have done that price, the market is pretty slow here right now in the South East, so maybe they're getting aggressive enough to just move the units where you're at.

Regardless though, congrats on the new car! That car is a blast!
Forgot to add the the dealer fee of 595. Otherwise doesn't make any difference what I paid in sales tax tags or title because each state is different.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine ended up being $21,300 OTD a couple of weeks ago here in MS. The only options were wheel locks and a cargo tray.

Rocandroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know what MS tax, title and tags run but add another $1500 here in FL. putting me at $22,600 OTD with options I listed. You did good

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
I was at $22,135 OTD including dealer fee and title, no sales tax here, I was able to get 2 dealers around here to do MSRP out the door on a Manual sport.

jaserjaser

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic EX-T , 2016 honda accord v6 touring
Country flag
i guess i got lucky!! i when to honda of seattle for an oil change for my 16'accord and while waiting, i got bored and went to the salesmen that sold me the accord and ask if they had a 17' cosmic blue EXT 6 speed.. he laugh and said yes we do and the guy that just special order it backed out would you like to buy it ..hahaha

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We have 8% to almost 10% sales tax around here so that's gonna be the big hit for me.
Sponsored