Manual Transmission Oil Change

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
planedoc on the back label of the Amsoil trans fluid it say's "not for use in limited slip applications". Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't our 6MT's limited slip?
Sponsored

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
planedoc on the back label of the Amsoil trans fluid it say's "not for use in limited slip applications". Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't our 6MT's limited slip?
Amsoil MTL is perfectly safe to use with the Helical LSD equipped manual transaxle in the Si and Type R as well.

GenXCTR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Amsoil MTL is perfectly safe to use with the Helical LSD equipped manual transaxle in the Si and Type R as well.
This is correct. Just to be sure I contacted Amsoil regarding the use of Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30 in the FK8 Type R. I received the response below.

"Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your question. The Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid covers the specifications for your transmission so it will be fine to use. The note about not using in limited slip applications is referring to not using it in differentials or hypoid gears.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us.

Ryan Lawrey
Technical Services Representative"

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
@planedoc , do you remember what the torque specs were for the drain/fill plugs? Thanks!
I think it was 25 Newton Meters? But don’t quote me on that. Prolly should check yourself.....

segfault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2006 Mitsubishi Evo
Country flag
I think it was 25 Newton Meters? But don’t quote me on that. Prolly should check yourself.....
Interesting. I would've thought more like 40 Nm. I'll definitely have to double check; really wish they still did purchasable service manuals instead of online daily access.

segfault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2006 Mitsubishi Evo
Country flag
It seems to be 32 ft-lbs for the torque spec. according to the amsoil site.

metzb1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Past experience with my 2006 6MT V6 Accord left me feeling really good about GM Synchromesh MTF. It worked wonders in the Accord, including eliminating the need for me to fix the TSB synchro issue that plagued that transmission. I decided to try it in my Si, as shifts were starting to feel a little gritty and clunky after 9k miles.

I drained the factory fluid and refilled with 1.9Qt of AC Delco Synchromesh. The transmission feels much smoother. The grittiness is gone. It does seem that the viscosity of the Synchromesh is a bit higher, damping the shift feel a bit but this is welcome compared to stock. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Synchromesh is expensive but I'm 2 for 2 now with positive experiences. As always, YMMV.
Sponsored