Manual Transmission Oil Change

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Is there a risk of OVERFILLING?

Just dump in 2 quarts and im good to go?
You do NOT want to overfill it, but if you get it warm first, drain it all out, and only put 2 quarts in, it won't be overfilled

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
Why the quest for some oil other than Honda?

The shift quality is greatly affected by the operator's ability to shift properly. Proper operation of the clutch is obviously important.

Be thankful you're not trying to operate a motorcycle transmission and clutch. Much more difficult than a car. Shift quality is almost totally a function of the rider's skill.

On the Civic how many inches of lever throw between 1st and 2nd, etc.?

Maybe the Si will offer a more refined shift for the operator.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why the quest for some oil other than Honda?

The shift quality is greatly affected by the operator's ability to shift properly. Proper operation of the clutch is obviously important.

Be thankful you're not trying to operate a motorcycle transmission and clutch. Much more difficult than a car. Shift quality is almost totally a function of the rider's skill.

On the Civic how many inches of lever throw between 1st and 2nd, etc.?

Maybe the Si will offer a more refined shift for the operator.
Because I trust Amsoil more than I trust Honda oils is why.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
I am doing mine the first time at 7500 miles. The second time at 20k, and then each 20k thereafter using Amsoil synthetic manual synchromesh transmission fluid. Which states right on it replaces Honda genuine MTF.
With a viscosity of 9.7cSt @ 100°C (212°F), Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is of considerably higher viscosity (thicker) than your original Honda MTF fluid of 7.5cSt @ 100°C.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf

Red Line D4 (7.5cSt) SAE 70W-80 Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil)

"D4 ATF also provides a GL-4 level of gear protection, making it a superior product for transmissions and transaxles. The balanced frictional characteristics provides smooth and consistent shifts for extended drain intervals."
  • Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
  • Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=7

Last edited:

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
"Because I trust Amsoil more than I trust Honda oils is why."

What the heck are you protecting? It's just an inexpensive car which should provide good service for more than 200K miles using basic generic fluids, etc.

Nothing special is required for this hunk of metal, rubber, plastic, etc.

It's just a basic car! It's not a $20 million luxury yacht.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
"Because I trust Amsoil more than I trust Honda oils is why."

What the heck are you protecting? It's just an inexpensive car which should provide good service for more than 200K miles using basic generic fluids, etc.

Nothing special is required for this hunk of metal, rubber, plastic, etc.

It's just a basic car! It's not a $20 million luxury yacht.
Grow up and smell the roses bud. The 1.5T will not last 200k miles without special care and normal servicing. My car is already Missfireing. If I wanted an inexpensive car I would have bought a 1000$ beater.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With a viscosity of 9.7cSt @ 100°C (212°F), Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is of considerably higher viscosity (thicker) than your original Honda MTF fluid of 7.5cSt @ 100°C.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2080.pdf

Red Line D4 (7.5cSt) SAE 70W-80 Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil)

"D4 ATF also provides a GL-4 level of gear protection, making it a superior product for transmissions and transaxles. The balanced frictional characteristics provides smooth and consistent shifts for extended drain intervals. The superior stability compared to petroleum ATFs allows high-temperature operation without varnishing valves and clutches which leads to transmission failure."
  • Appropriate coefficient of friction for most manual transmission synchronizers (other's synthetic gear oils are often too slippery for proper synchro engagement)
  • Excellent gear and synchro protection, balanced slipperiness for easier shifting in cold climates
https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=7
Thanks for the info. Was happy to see it's thicker than the stock fluid. Now just need the time to get it in there

nsxmatt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 coupe, 2009 coupe
I really enjoy reading about all the homemade engineers that are smarter than the people who actually designed and built the car. Everyone always believes their oil will somehow be so much better and they are so hard headed, they will believe its actually working better too.

I've worked on Hondas for over 20 years. I've rebuilt countless manual transmissions. I've tried multiple oils and seen what all different kinds can do. Honda MTF is always the best, there are no problems at all with it, and it makes perfect sense to just keep it in there and continue using it.

The people who say "oh I used so and so on all my cars and i'll never use anything else...blah blah" are the ones that end up messing up their car and wasting money on something just to be different.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really enjoy reading about all the homemade engineers that are smarter than the people who actually designed and built the car. Everyone always believes their oil will somehow be so much better and they are so hard headed, they will believe its actually working better too.

I've worked on Hondas for over 20 years. I've rebuilt countless manual transmissions. I've tried multiple oils and seen what all different kinds can do. Honda MTF is always the best, there are no problems at all with it, and it makes perfect sense to just keep it in there and continue using it.

The people who say "oh I used so and so on all my cars and i'll never use anything else...blah blah" are the ones that end up messing up their car and wasting money on something just to be different.
And us mechanics who have spent 40 years fixing stoopid engineers screw ups know they don't know shit. Don't give me any engineer BS, those guys are all ego and no sense.

nsxmatt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 coupe, 2009 coupe
And us mechanics who have spent 40 years fixing stoopid engineers screw ups know they don't know shit. Don't give me any engineer BS, those guys are all ego and no sense.
Engineers don't know shit yet you bought the entire car they designed and think some Amsoil will solve it all...

k.

omigulay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport hatchback
You do NOT want to overfill it, but if you get it warm first, drain it all out, and only put 2 quarts in, it won't be overfilled
Is that what it says in the service manual?

In nissans, they give you an estimated capacity and you fill it until it starts to flow out of the filler hole then close it...

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is that what it says in the service manual?

In nissans, they give you an estimated capacity and you fill it until it starts to flow out of the filler hole then close it...
Who knows what it says in the service manual. I tried to buy one, but Honda doesn't see fit to sell one. This is what I was told by a 25 year Honda mechanic

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
I ran 200k miles on the original MTF in my last Honda, ZERO issues.

Don't change the damn fluid, it's a factory fluid and it's fine.
Sponsored