OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
My 9th gen Civic Si was traded for my current and it's shifting has gotten sort of crappy in 3 years and under 30k. Had I not traded it, I would have done the Amsoil by now. It was a smooth shifting tranny for the first year but didn't last.

If it does good for you... I think I'll order some for me. I'm only at 6k... but if this car is like the last one... I'll be looking to be changing it w/in 2 years and 20k... based on shift feel/effort alone.

I know the Amsoil was good for 2 years and ~25k when I sold the car.
I’m curious myself to see how it does. Amsoil works really good as engine lubricant for me so I don’t see the reason it won’t work as a lubricant for the transmission. But first, i need to get that fill plug broke loose lol
Sponsored

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Finally changed the fluid yesterday. Fairly easy although both bolts were pretty darn tight...no way it was 30 lb*ft. Anyhow, drained around 1.9qt, fluid was somewhat dark but nothing crazy, didn't see any metal flakes. Put 2qt back in and called it a day. Really easy to DIY. Now to the best part: Amsoil MTF DOES make a difference. First and reverse are MUCH smoother and softer now. Other gears - not a huge difference but definitely a bit more buttery. I drove around 30mi only but these are my first impressions. I'll let y'all know if this changes.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally changed the fluid yesterday. Fairly easy although both bolts were pretty darn tight...no way it was 30 lb*ft. Anyhow, drained around 1.9qt, fluid was somewhat dark but nothing crazy, didn't see any metal flakes. Put 2qt back in and called it a day. Really easy to DIY. Now to the best part: Amsoil MTF DOES make a difference. First and reverse are MUCH smoother and softer now. Other gears - not a huge difference but definitely a bit more buttery. I drove around 30mi only but these are my first impressions. I'll let y'all know if this changes.
Sounds great. For my RSX in the past... it made the rough notchiness feel lubed so it'd fall into gears w/less effort... practically none honestly. On fast gear changes from 2nd to 3rd... when you'd get it into 3rd and release the clutch... it's actually pop out of gear... which absolutely sucks. There you are.. accelerating hard... then VROOOM! flooring it in neutral vice 3rd.

Amsoil will be going in my Si once the good feel it has now starts to fade. There's a little more of a plastic notchy feel going into second... but the effort is minimal and otherwise quite good throughout for me at this time.

Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Sounds great. For my RSX in the past... it made the rough notchiness feel lubed so it'd fall into gears w/less effort... practically none honestly. On fast gear changes from 2nd to 3rd... when you'd get it into 3rd and release the clutch... it's actually pop out of gear... which absolutely sucks. There you are.. accelerating hard... then VROOOM! flooring it in neutral vice 3rd.

Amsoil will be going in my Si once the good feel it has now starts to fade. There's a little more of a plastic notchy feel going into second... but the effort is minimal and otherwise quite good throughout for me at this time.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sounds good mate. On the other note, you posted a schematic for the trans which helped a lot with finding the bolts, have you happened to have the same thing for 2016 honda pilot? I got some honfa atf fluid i want to put in but just not sure on the location of the plugs. Many thanks

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds good mate. On the other note, you posted a schematic for the trans which helped a lot with finding the bolts, have you happened to have the same thing for 2016 honda pilot? I got some honfa atf fluid i want to put in but just not sure on the location of the plugs. Many thanks
This is how you fish...

http://hondapartsnetwork.com

Plug in whatever vehicle you're looking for... it'll give you whatever schematics you want... based on buying parts. If you were wanting to buy OEM parts... it's also a good way to get them w/o a dealer markup. :thumbsup:

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Looking forward to hearing more anecdotes about switching to Amsoil on the SI. I hate to say it, but I have really begun to hate the shifter on the SI when compared to my Prelude (that car was like a knife through hot butter). 1, 3 & 5 - super smooth; 2,4 & 6 - 80% of the time like pulling a lever through a bag of gravel.

Was hoping to switch to Acuity bushings and the Type R shifter, as some people have said that that cures the crunchiness. But with the Type R shifter on indefinite backorder, that's probably off the menu now.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Looking forward to hearing more anecdotes about switching to Amsoil on the SI. I hate to say it, but I have really begun to hate the shifter on the SI when compared to my Prelude (that car was like a knife through hot butter). 1, 3 & 5 - super smooth; 2,4 & 6 - 80% of the time like pulling a lever through a bag of gravel.

Was hoping to switch to Acuity bushings and the Type R shifter, as some people have said that that cures the crunchiness. But with the Type R shifter on indefinite backorder, that's probably off the menu now.
I’m most likely going to do this in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know since I know you have been having the same problems as me.

segfault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2006 Mitsubishi Evo
Country flag
Switched to the Amsoil recently. So far the shifting it definitely much smoother. There's still a tiny bit of crunch, but no where near as bad as it used to be.

Just an FYI, even with the fill plug removed first, the fluid still kinda bloops out the drain instead of being a nice steady stream. So plan accordingly.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Switched to the Amsoil recently. So far the shifting it definitely much smoother. There's still a tiny bit of crunch, but no where near as bad as it used to be.

Just an FYI, even with the fill plug removed first, the fluid still kinda bloops out the drain instead of being a nice steady stream. So plan accordingly.
which weight, and how much fluid did it take?

segfault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2006 Mitsubishi Evo
Country flag
I used Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30. You need two quarts and will also want to pick up a new crush washer. Granted the washer is super thick and probably could be reused, but I prefer to just use new when I can.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I used Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30. You need two quarts and will also want to pick up a new crush washer. Granted the washer is super thick and probably could be reused, but I prefer to just use new when I can.
I figured I'd just bring some when getting my clutch done and have the shop throw it in. Unless I hit my oil change time before the clutch job, then I'll just do both at the same time. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored