EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
I was at a standstill on an uphill larger than what I am used to here in Central Florida. When I was trying to pull away, I heard this abnormal thudding/ vibration that just didn't feel normal. My guess is that I didn't give it enough gas.

Would it be a cause of concern? Did I break anything? Im still relatively new to manuals. I am @ under 1500 miles.

Edwin.
Sponsored

quakaroaks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic HB Sp, 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was at a standstill on an uphill larger than what I am used to here in Central Florida. When I was trying to pull away, I heard this abnormal thudding/ vibration that just didn't feel normal. My guess is that I didn't give it enough gas.

Would it be a cause of concern? Did I break anything? Im still relatively new to manuals. I am @ under 1500 miles.

Edwin.
Probably your left foot was slightly high up getting close above the engagement (bite) point where the clutch starts to chatter and your car is about to stall as you were giving some gas.

Watch below link for hill starts, helped me. Hope this helps.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
Not enough gas or clutch released to fast or both. You'll get used to it and it's not good for the bottom end--- bearings, but should be no big deal for the few times is should happen

Edit I'd like to add that's no hill in the video above,

Last edited:

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
Totally normal ... Don't panic ... Feels like a rumble of thunder. You needed more gas on the steep uphill. I am old school used to Rollin backwards freely so the hill assist messes with me every time!

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
in regards to the video, he shows something you should know how to do, that is with gas and clutch only remain stopped on a incline that would normally coast you back quickly. but not for hill starts, specially with hill assist. but it same as its always been, cept we got a auto brake.
in the olden days, on san francisco type hills ( which i live on, not in SF), the proceedure was: when stopped on a hill that required very quick clutch action , you set the parking brake, when time to go, go as you would normally and a split second later release the parking brake. i don't and don't know anybody with balz enough to go clutch first on a hill. using you clutch to stay stopped on a hill or incline will wear it out faster.

PapiCompota

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Happens to every one of us when were learning, so don't worry. Just be patient and don't panic when you're going uphill, slightly more gas and you'll be fine.

lucaspessoa

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Edwin.
Maybe you did not put the car in gear correctly, it happened to me once.

j_si19

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Coupe Si, 2001 Ford Mustang Cobra
Country flag
dont worry as long as your infotainment screen didnt beep and flash a "DANGER TO MANIFOLD" warning, then you should be fine.
Don't forget about the floor falling out! Only then should you even begin to worry.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
You'll get the same feeling when coming to stop in gear and not engaging the clutch. If you don't engage the clutch the car will stall, so it sounds like you were on the verge of stalling.

Like everyone else said, you'll learn and never forget. I went 14 years without driving a clutch before my Si and it came right back to me. I have yet to stall the car. Same with my wife. She hasn't had a manual since college but took right to the Si.

Enjoy, have fun and don't sweat the small stuff mate.

Cheers.

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
dont worry as long as your infotainment screen didnt beep and flash a "DANGER TO MANIFOLD" warning, then you should be fine.
That only happens when you're at WOT and you shift from 6th gear into 7th gear, right?