Manual LX Hatch or Automatic Civic-EX Hatchback?

lem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996-ESi, 1992-Camry, 2006-Lancer, 2017-EX Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still undecided whether to get a manual or automatic.
I would appreciate more insights.

I like the EX 'cause of the sunroof but I like driving stick too.
Sponsored

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I originally wanted a Manual Hatch, but in the end decided against it. Tech is much more important to me than the transmission. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I'm just going to buy a 1986 Nissan 300ZX one day. Plus, the heated cloth seats are a killer! I have two civics now though, so I'm a bit biased.

OP
OP
lem

lem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I originally wanted a Manual Hatch, but in the end decided against it. Tech is much more important to me than the transmission. Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I'm just going to buy a 1986 Nissan 300ZX one day. Plus, the heated cloth seats are a killer! I have two civics now though, so I'm a bit biased.
What do you think about maintenance between a manual and automatic?

dannyo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Civic LX 5MT
Neither will break for a very very long time, but when they do the manual will be 5x cheaper to fix. CVT also has one more maintenance point in a fluid change every couple oil changes.

JS2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000 , Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Buy the transmission based on what you enjoy most. A lot of people like to shift their own gears so a manual makes sense. But the CVT is much better than I ever expected it to be, and you don't give up much in terms of performance. I got the CVT for my wife and son to drive, my other Honda has one of the best shifting manual trannies every produced in the automotive industry so I can appreciate a nice shift just like the next guy. I fully expected the CVT to be terrible, but I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed, it performs flawlessly. Most people expect the CVT to last a very long time, you will be changing a clutch on the manual tranny several times over before the CVT may ever be close to wearing out I got it with the paddle shifters so I can entertain myself a bit more than the non-paddle shift version. Also the S mode on the CVT model eliminates some of the numbness of the drive by wire system, not sure if the manual has that benefit or if it feels more numb all the time. You can't go wrong either way so choose what you prefer best - manual vs. auto.

Last edited:

OP
OP
lem

lem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you guys for your inputs! I really appreciate it.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would definitely go for the manual sport, while the tech is good, the CVT was a deal breaker, terrible feel for an enthusiast driver. Here's my thoughts on it.

Reactions: lem
OP
OP
lem

lem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all for your input.
I got an EX-CVT. :)

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
you will be changing a clutch on the manual tranny several times over before the CVT may ever be close to wearing out
What in Sam Hill are you basing this statement on? Clutches generally last well over 100k miles before they need to be replaced. Often, considerably longer. This is the most ludicrous thing I've seen posted recently.

I've owned quite a number of manual transmission cars over the years, not to mention all the stick shift cars my extended family members have owned. Many with well over 100k miles, and some over 150k. I've only replaced one clutch at 165k. The truck I sold recently had 156k on the original clutch. I had a Jetta turbo diesel way back when that had 180k miles on it, and the clutch was just starting to get weak when I sold it. I think my uncle put a clutch in his ancient Volvo wagon somewhere around 200k miles.

Unless you don't know how to drive stick properly, clutches generally last a LONG time. It is quite rare to replace one aside from abuse or poor technique.

CVTs, on the other hand, have a very spotty reliability record. Honda hasn't had them out in volume for long enough to get a good handle on how well theirs will do. Other manufacturers have had considerable problems with them, and relatively high failure rates. Nissan, Ford, and others. Look into the number of Jatco CVT failures Nissan had on the Altimas. Actually, Nissan continues to have issues with CVTs in various vehicles.

The clutch cost me under a grand to have replaced the one time I had to do it.

Research what it costs to replace a CVT sometime. Many times what a clutch replacement costs on a manual transmission car. Like 4-6 times as much. CVTs are far more expensive when something goes south than a conventional torque converter automatic. Therefore, even IF a CVT had twice the lifespan of the average clutch (does not), over the long run a car with a CVT will cost far more to own, all other things being equal.

I own two Civics with CVTs currently. I'm not bashing the CVT, but in my opinion, your statement I quoted above is, and I say this with all due respect, ridiculous. Ask some guys at a transmission shop or dealership how many 200k mile CVTs they see that are still operating properly.

You are spot on with one thing. Buy what you like.

Last edited:

shire123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 honda hybrid, 2009 Honda Fit, 2015 Honda CRV
What in Sam Hill are you basing this statement on? Clutches generally last well over 100k miles before they need to be replaced. Often, considerably longer. This is the most ludicrous thing I've seen posted recently.

I've owned quite a number of manual transmission cars over the years, not to mention all the stick shift cars my extended family members have owned. Many with well over 100k miles, and some over 150k. I've only replaced one clutch at 165k. The truck I sold recently had 156k on the original clutch. I had a Jetta turbo diesel way back when that had 180k miles on it, and the clutch was just starting to get weak when I sold it. I think my uncle put a clutch in his ancient Volvo wagon somewhere around 200k miles.

Unless you don't know how to drive stick properly, clutches generally last a LONG time. It is quite rare to replace one aside from abuse or poor technique.

CVTs, on the other hand, have a very spotty reliability record. Honda hasn't had them out in volume for long enough to get a good handle on how well theirs will do. Other manufacturers have had considerable problems with them, and relatively high failure rates. Nissan, Ford, and others. Look into the number of Jatco CVT failures Nissan had on the Altimas. Actually, Nissan continues to have issues with CVTs in various vehicles.

The clutch cost me under a grand to have replaced the one time I had to do it.

Research what it costs to replace a CVT sometime. Many times what a clutch replacement costs on a manual transmission car. Like 4-6 times as much. CVTs are far more expensive when something goes south than a conventional torque converter automatic. Therefore, even IF a CVT had twice the lifespan of the average clutch (does not), over the long run a car with a CVT will cost far more to own, all other things being equal.

I own two Civics with CVTs currently. I'm not bashing the CVT, but in my opinion, your statement I quoted above is, and I say this with all due respect, ridiculous. Ask some guys at a transmission shop or dealership how many 200k mile CVTs they see that are still operating properly.

You are spot on with one thing. Buy what you like.
Agrees agree completely with your assessment of the statement about clutches. I'm 65 now and have owned 12 vehicles over the years. (Basically drive them til they die). Also average 30,000 miles per year. 9 manual transmissions and 3 automatic. All 3 automatics had to have new transmissions. One of them twice! NEVER had to replace a clutch! Getting a new 2017 civic ext manual next week.
Sponsored