Manual 1.5t delayed until 2017 model year

Miguel

Threads
Reaction score
Thanks. Confirms what some others have posted about a manual coming for the turbo models, but not until next year.

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV
Damn was hoping the coupe would be introduced with more manual models but doesn't look like it. MY2017 won't start until September 2016 right?

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
I think it'll be a shortened model year due to the late start. I wouldn't be surprised to see the manual 1.5L come out around same time as the Si is shown, whatever the case I'm just glad they have plans to offer it.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think we're missing the bigger picture here. This all but rules out the 1.5T on the Si (vs. 2.0T or 2.4 NA). We should probably be celebrating. :D

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
I think we're missing the bigger picture here. This all but rules out the 1.5T on the Si (vs. 2.0T or 2.4 NA). We should probably be celebrating. :D
That's assuming the Si comes out winter or spring as a MY16.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Well the good thing is now that the sedan is officially on sale that information is going to start coming out real soon. So maybe we will here info on Si soon. With coupe reveal or soon after.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Honda did release the HR-V in mid-May 2015 as a 2016 model year, so I guess it is still possible.
Good point. We gout our '16MDX in early May.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
6speed manual 27k 1.5Ttouring model? Okay? Why not just buy a Si for 23k and have more hp ?

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
6speed manual 27k 1.5Ttouring model? Okay? Why not just buy a Si for 23k and have more hp ?
Fuel economy is likely to suffer in the Si as well as needing to pump premium. I'm thinking leather and other bells and whistles of the Touring won't be available on the Si either.

thomasok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Black Honda Accord EX-L, 2003 Blue Honda Accord EX-L
If Honda follows the way they handle things with the Accord sedan the manual won't be offered in the EX-L and Touring models. They might put it on an upper end coupe though.

Kaptain75329

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mazda3 sGT
I'd be right there with you, but if Car and Driver is right about what they reported earlier this year, the 2.0t is likely slated for the Civic Type-R since that mill is tipped to put out in excess of 300+hp:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-to-introduce-new-turbo-vtec-four-cylinder-engines-by-end-of-2015/

That leaves the NA2.4 and the 1.5t as possible options for the Si. I'm not convinced Honda would go with the NA 2.4 given it's aging architecture -- there are still fuel economy regs that will take effect during the production run of this new Civic over the next 4-6 years, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this engine dropped in favor of going mostly turbo to help keep the Civic ahead of the game there.

My money's on the 1.5t w/VTEC as the most likely candidate to run the Si. There was a post on this site just a few days ago and I think it's on to something:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/europ...201-bhp-vs-174bhp-american-in-2016-civic.564/

The 1.5t is launching in the regular Civic without VTEC, and adding it for the Si would put the output specs in line with the euro version, which means we could expect about 201hp + 191tq, assuming Honda goes this route. I think it's likely: given how the model has been positioned in the past, this option would maintain the price/performance ratio that has become the Si's raison d'etre.

All that said, The Ford Focus ST and the Subaru WRX might have given Honda pause, and moving the Si upmarket to take those on could be a possibility. Too soon to tell right now; I'll be following news on the Si with great interest. :)

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
The 1.5t is launching in the regular Civic without VTEC, and adding it for the Si would put the output specs in line with the euro version, which means we could expect about 201hp + 191tq, assuming Honda goes this route. I think it's likely: given how the model has been positioned in the past, this option would maintain the price/performance ratio that has become the Si's raison d'etre.
This option, a H.O. 1.5T, would also totally take off the table any potential for modding, like the K series has enjoyed. Hopefully, Honda will see to it that the Si will maintain it's huge tuning potential it has had for the last 4 versions. Putting a 1.5T in the Si effectively caps the potential at not much more than stock. I mean, this is the alter ego of the last few generations of Si, I know people try to rationalize Honda's thought process on the 1.5T-Si, but it'd be a huge bust to the tuner market.

To confirm this I strolled through the Fiesta ST forums to see what they are getting out of a larger 1.6T....not much! maybe 230whp without having to resort to bigger changes like turbo upgrade and adding LSD....in my opinion the Gen 8 or 9 Si with it's standard LSD and easy to get 350-400WHP would have been a better FWD tuner platform than the Fiesta ST...and same for a Honda 1.5T.

Which brings me to another thing....this MT for the 1.5T...if it doesn't (which I am sure it doesn't) have LSD, then that can also add in two more possibilities:
-if the Si gets 1.5T it ain't getting LSD this time around!
or
-This drivetrain is NOT for the SI, as Honda *hopefully* intends to maintain the LSD feature of the Si...no matter what engine they SURPRISE us with.

Also, as the K series may be "aging", there is still plenty left in it. Honda has just revised it for the Civic, and they revised it for the Accord. No reason why they couldn't go full-on with a full VTEC EarthDreams K24 variant that gets 220-230HP like they have done with K variants in the past.
Sponsored