Maintenance Sub Item 7 - Replace Brake Fluid

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan ā€¢ 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
Do any of you that do your own maintenance actually do this?

2020 Si with less than 21,000 miles, and completely replacing brake fluid at this mileage seems a waste. In fact, I've never completely REPLACED ALL the brake fluid in ANY vehicle; always just topped off after pad and/or rotor replacements.

I appreciate your input!
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ended up doing a half-flush when installing all new lines and the front BBK. Iā€™ll only do a full flush next for race fluid, but WRT maintenance, no, I didnā€˜t flush at 20K (just barely surpassed).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, low mileage or not it should be changed every two to three years at a minimum due to water getting in the system and deteriorating the fluid. I think the MM will come on at a bit before 3 years from the time the car was built. It's not a mileage thing.

Last edited:

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19ā€™ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
I just flushed my brake system a few weeks ago. My view on it is that no fluid will stay 100 percent over time when used. If you drive your car moderately and donā€™t do a lot of high speed braking(avoiding high temps) Iā€™m sure your fluid will last for years. I think thatā€™s how many go without ever flushing out the entire system. I have had used cars that I never changed it and doubt the previous owners ever did either. With my most recently owned cars, Iā€™ve been on top of doing more complete maintenance.
After doing all 4 corners plus the clutch line I will say this, my original fluid had gotten pretty dark so it was either getting dirty or breaking down some. My pedal only feels slightly firmer but at least I have peace of mind knowing all bleeder valves arenā€™t seized, I know I have no leaks, have fresh new fluid and have zero moisture/water in the system. So braking may not have improved much if at all, but I know itā€™s going to be reliable if I ever wanna go out of state on a trip or something. I will add that my clutch pedal feels a bit better as well. Is it worth doing the service, I think so even though many will say no and I guess thatā€™s fair to say. Compared to oil changes, trans drain and fills and ect, this service is likely not done on a majority of cars traveling on roads today and they still can stop. Plus we all have seen an old hoopty with brake fluid older than us still able to stop albeit a little sketchy perhaps.More than likely cars going on year 10 with original fluid will have a softer/ spongier pedal feel. Anything to keep pedal travel and feel more consistent over time I think is worth it and changing fluid with new high quality brake fluid helps with that. In an emergency stop situation Iā€™m sure I wonā€™t regret having done the service vs wishing I had done it

Tonbo

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic lx
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Universal recommendation is 2 years or every 30k miles for a brake fluid flush. Commonly overlooked so kudos to you for doing it

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Like said above, brake fluid flushes are more of a time than mileage thing. Every 2 or 3 years is a pretty safe interval. Since brake fluid is hygroscopic it will absorb moisture from the air past any seals in the system, and the moisture in the fluid can corrode steel parts in the braking system from the inside out over a long period of time. Brake fluid is a pretty cheap consumable and bleeding is a fairly basic process that can can be done in an afternoon, so it's a good practice to be familiar with :)