Maintenance need some help!

MUSTslient

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got my oil, oil filter, and transmission fluid done at the dealer today. You know when someone drops their car at dealership they do free inspection and say this needs to change etc etc.

They said car need coolant service, also the brake fluids but they didn’t mention about engine air filter, or cabin air filter which I think needs to change because was pretty dirty. Whatever, I directed how much will engine filter cost to me if I wanted to get it changed, They quoted me $80. All they do is open the clips, take the old one out, and put the new one back on like 2 mins process.

I found some engine air filters on Amazon. I said maybe someone got one of the product I found or have heard about it (like if it’s good or not, cuz the reviews of products all good)

Link
Link1. (I think imma go with this)
Link2 (and this brand it has good comments too, also price same as others but I guess this one is one of the returns to warehouse cuz it says boxed damaged

the other thing I’m going to do is coolant adding some coolant. I don’t think it’s going to be a problem but to drain it will if I need equipment other then my hand. I watched some 10th gen civic coolant drain video some of them did have twist off plug, so people who making the video didn’t need any equipment. He just did unscrewed the plug with his hand. Is it possible to do it on mine? Does 2016 civic lx have plastic trim valve? If it does what brand coolant do you guys recommend to me? (I don’t think it’s cost dealer more then $50 cuz they asking $200)

About the brake pumps. I could buy handheld vacum pump and add new fluid but the only thing is do I really have to take all these wheels and flush the leftovers in those brake lines? Will the fluid I added refresh the leftovers I’m the brake lines? If I don't remove those fluids from the brake lines, does it make sense to have done it?
Sponsored

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do your own engine air filter.

Probably a good idea to have the coolant flushed, given the age, but ensuring there is enough coolant in the system in the first place by topping it off is a good start. Not getting the coolant flushed probably won’t do too much harm, but at the age of the vehicle, it’s somewhat easy to do. This thread might help you.

Now, doing a full brake flush requires bleeding each corner (+the clutch, if your car had a manual transmission). 2 quarts should be enough.

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
80 for air filter... How much they charge you for oil and oil filter change?

If 19 Si coupe matches 16 LX air filter I'd send you basic K&N filter for free since I'm about to go to PRL CAI.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My two cents...

Get a real Honda air filter.

And I'd let a professional handle the brakes.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag

OP
OP

MUSTslient

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do your own engine air filter.

Probably a good idea to have the coolant flushed, given the age, but ensuring there is enough coolant in the system in the first place by topping it off is a good start. Not getting the coolant flushed probably won’t do too much harm, but at the age of the vehicle, it’s somewhat easy to do. This thread might help you.

Now, doing a full brake flush requires bleeding each corner (+the clutch, if your car had a manual transmission). 2 quarts should be enough.
I called the dealer the OEM engine filter is $21. I’ll stop by instead of buying after market filters cuz it’s same price at this point.

So there’s a valve underneath that can be unscrew by hand? If there it is, it’s going to be easy peasy and save me $200 - the cost of coolant.

what If I don’t do the bleeding but change Brake fluid cuz I need a something to lift up the car, also have to take off the tires to do bleeding (btw they asked $189 for brake fluid).

OP
OP

MUSTslient

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
80 for air filter... How much they charge you for oil and oil filter change?

If 19 Si coupe matches 16 LX air filter I'd send you basic K&N filter for free since I'm about to go to PRL CAI.
Yeah $80 😂
They did it for 49.95. I mean it wasn’t bad if we consider I have to buy an oil+oil filter and do all the draining process.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I called the dealer the OEM engine filter is $21. I’ll stop by instead of buying after market filters cuz it’s same price at this point.

So there’s a valve underneath that can be unscrew by hand? If there it is, it’s going to be easy peasy and save me $200 - the cost of coolant.

what If I don’t do the bleeding but change Brake fluid cuz I need a something to lift up the car, also have to take off the tires to do bleeding (btw they asked $189 for brake fluid).
You can't change the brake fluid without bleeding. There's no way to get the fluid out of the brake lines other than by bleeding.

OP
OP

MUSTslient

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay, so far I have changed the oil, oil filter, transmission at the dealer, and I did perform engine air filter change.

Today earlier in the morning, I’ll unplug mass air flow sensor to see if the engine shuts itself, if it doesn’t that means I need new air flow sensor, but if it does shut off. I’ll buy air flow sensor cleaner because I can’t Tell how bad was the filter and filter gasket. Maybe it could be why engine gets hot to fast or maybe it’s because I’m running low on coolant, I will also check that.

Guys I don’t know what type of coolant the previous user used or I don’t even know if he has ever changed it. Will it make problem if I put another brand (I say different brand cuz idk what he used. Imma use Honda coolant) coolant for a while because after staring the car it gets hot fast but stays at middle on the dash.

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Okay, so far I have changed the oil, oil filter, transmission at the dealer, and I did perform engine air filter change.

Today earlier in the morning, I’ll unplug mass air flow sensor to see if the engine shuts itself, if it doesn’t that means I need new air flow sensor, but if it does shut off. I’ll buy air flow sensor cleaner because I can’t Tell how bad was the filter and filter gasket. Maybe it could be why engine gets hot to fast or maybe it’s because I’m running low on coolant, I will also check that.

Guys I don’t know what type of coolant the previous user used or I don’t even know if he has ever changed it. Will it make problem if I put another brand (I say different brand cuz idk what he used. Imma use Honda coolant) coolant for a while because after staring the car it gets hot fast but stays at middle on the dash.
Hey there. Did the dealership perform a transmission fluid flush or did they just perform a transmission fluid change? I am confused of the maintenance that is supposed to be done at 30,000 miles regarding transmission fluid.
Sponsored