Maintenance Minder Item 9

Marcy161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys my car is due for an oil change and also maintenance number 9 which is servicing the brakes and inspecting the chassis. Should I let them do it?
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
If you want the car maintained per the factory guidance, then YES.
If you think its all a money grab and that its all "fine", then NO.

I confess, my previous cars have never been so diligent about "brake inspection/services" as my Civic is. Not sure why the Civic is so picky/fussy about it. Makes me wonder just how cost conscious Honda was in designing the system that it needs such frequent inspection.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
The MM on the U.S. Civics calls for this general service every other oil change. So it's just a routine check on various parts of the car. No biggie.

I would expect the charge to be minimal or free. At my local dealer they do all these checks anytime they have the car for service. Don't know if they do it if the car is in for just an oil and filter change? Probably not as different folks do oil changes.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I’ve always done the brake service on my previous Civics while under warranty (I’m actually getting it done right now). It does help brake life and even wear as far as my experience has been.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Sub code 9 is brake service. Calipers and pads are removed, inspected, cleaned and lubricated and reinstalled. It is a pricey service but keeps the brakes in top notch condition.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Sub code 9 is brake service. Calipers and pads are removed, inspected, cleaned and lubricated and reinstalled. It is a pricey service but keeps the brakes in top notch condition.
Well said. Timely brake service has allowed me to go many years between pad / rotor replacements.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
How much was subcode 9 when you went to the dealer ? If it reasonable I may consider it, but if it is the same price as an oil change i may just clear it out.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
$229.00 with oil and filter change

Roadcone

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 FR-S + '19 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
100% chance of a tech just pulling the pins out, slapping grease on them and throwing them back in and nothing else being done for that if the pads and rotors dont need replacing. and that happens when you have your pads/rotors replaced.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I wouldn't say 100% chance... Kitchener Honda has windows from the Service Dept to the shop. They pulled EVERYTHING apart on my car during the service.

mega_milk

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LX
Country flag
I wouldn't say 100% chance... Kitchener Honda has windows from the Service Dept to the shop. They pulled EVERYTHING apart on my car during the service.
On my car I could see fresh grease between the pads and the caliper so they took everything apart when they did it.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What exactly is a "brake service" ? This code seems like a bunch of visuals that will cost a lot of money.
This service would not really amount to much for you in SoCal.
In the rust belt however, the calipers swell with rust under the stainless steel sliders which keeps the pistons from fully retracting.
Speaking from personal experience (Canada, eh) you will see accelerated pad wear and rotor overheating & warpage.
Without this service, called brake cleaning where I’m from, you can count on new rotors & pads every 18 -24 months because you straight up wear out pads from excess friction on the rotors.
FWIW I’m still on the factory front brakes after nearly 5 years and 60k and have had this service done when the car calls for it.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
This service would not really amount to much for you in SoCal.
In the rust belt however, the calipers swell with rust under the stainless steel sliders which keeps the pistons from fully retracting.
Speaking from personal experience (Canada, eh) you will see accelerated pad wear and rotor overheating & warpage.
Without this service, called brake cleaning where I’m from, you can count on new rotors & pads every 18 -24 months because you straight up wear out pads from excess friction on the rotors.
FWIW I’m still on the factory front brakes after nearly 5 years and 60k and have had this service done when the car calls for it.
You know what is funny? I didn't recognize the post that I wrote that post in 2019. I actually still haven't changed my brakes in 2023.

The shop said there is still enough pad left and I mainly do all freeway driving. He did say that you mentioned though that the climate tmis very dry so moisture isn't an issue but he will replace everything when I do my brakes which is probably next oil change.

mega_milk

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LX
Country flag
From the googling that I did Service 9 is only in the Canadian schedule.

So either Honda thinks they can get more money out of Canadians or its because in Canada there is higher chance roads are salted. Kinda like Netflix banned password sharing for Canadians but not Americans. However in Michigan, New York, etc. they salt a lot as well.

I think Mazda has this service as well, so other manufacturers also do it.

I'm kinda on the fence about it. The roads are salted here but this service comes up basically every year, maybe even more often for me since I drive a lot. It is nice to do so your brakes don't seize, but very expensive. If you skip it 3 times you basically saved enough for brakes for one axle.
Sponsored