Maintenance minder based on time?

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
So, I've been waiting for my maintenance minder to indicate that I need my first oil change. I had vacation coming up, and since I've had the car since May 26, 2018, I've watched it tick down to what I assumed was 10,000 miles. So since I know what I usually drive in a week, I figured I would be right around 8600 miles and should be close enough to needing my oil changed. For the most part, the oil life has gone down around 10% for every 1000 miles. I'm now a bit over 8800 miles and I'm still sitting at 20% oil life. If I can get the maintenance minder light on, the oil change is free under my Honda care plan. Is it just basing the oil life on time?
Sponsored

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
No. I say this not because I designed the system but because my oil life was at 60% when I bought the car with 128 miles in November. 50% at 3500 miles. 40% at 4000 miles. I’m at 4800 and it’s now 30%. I have no idea what algorithm it uses but it’s not just mileage and it’s not just time. The official Honda statement says it uses a variety of factors to determine that oil life. Engine heat, brake time and distance, etc etc. I doubt it’s all true but those engineers get paid a shit ton of money and they are smart as fuck do it’s probably pretty advanced.

Lilruben1

Ktuned ‘18 Si
First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I too had this question and I asked my service advisor at the dealership. I frequently made trips from Fort Worth, Texas to San Antonio and was at about 20% and asked if I should just go ahead and get an oil change now since I would be making the trip again shortly. They told me it was not needed and that even though I was over the 3000ish mile threshold some oils recommend changing, the MaintenceMinder uses factors such as oil temps, time, AND driving style to find when your oil needs changed. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Driver56

Driver56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI coupe
Country flag
Yeah, since my commute is mostly back roads and highway, my oil lasted pretty long. I was at 20% oil life from 8200 miles until 8880, the light just would not come on. I was worried the dealership service department was going to fight me over whether Honda care would cover it because of the light. I went in expecting to argue over it but they just smiled when I got there and said it was all covered.
Sponsored