Maintenance items that are time dependent regardless of mileage?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I know I could replace for cheaper but I prefer to remove the big chunks from the filter, there isn't much dust during the winter around here.
In the old days there was no such thing as a cabin air filter and nobody died of mold or pollen..lol A tune-up in those days required more then today: spark plugs, cables, distributor cap and rotor, points...just to name a few.
Nowadays changing liquids and replacing filters are just about it, but the dealers will charge you an arm and a leg for this.
If you have AC, you need some sort of filter. Otherwise, all the bugs and leaves will clog the evaporator. The question is only whether it is importamt that the filter be very dense to stop anything smaller than dust. For me, it's not needed, because I sometimes actually get out and breathe in the wild outside of the car anyway. I also sometimes drive with open windows or sunroof.
Of course an anti-allergy, certified HEPA filter is a must for convertibles.:rofl:
Sponsored

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Well, non-filtered systems could possibly lead to health problems down the road. I mean if nothing else, at least those rocks and leaves aren't flying in your face haha.
Very true on that last point, which is why I am very grateful to learn how to do my own car maintenance!
Yes, because breathing outside your car filters it too? It's a way of keeping the evaporator and heater radiator cleaner for sure but let's not get crazy about cleaning the air or we'll end up with more cases of allergies than we currently have because people are becoming too clean. Time to go sniff some exhaust from my non-catted motorhome i think.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As you live in an area that likely salts the roads - have your brakes inspected/lubed every year or two (with oil change or tire rotation?). Caliper pins corrode and may cause binding or seizing of calipers. Our dealer does a free courtesy inspection each time I visit and will/may recommend this service.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
If you have AC, you need some sort of filter. Otherwise, all the bugs and leaves will clog the evaporator.
This makes the most sense. The filter is upstream of the evaporator, isn't it? That is, air from the outside passes through the filter before it reaches the evaporator?

I doubt that my first Civic had a cabin air filter, which would've been why its evaporator drain tube got clogged and it started pouring water into the passenger footwell one humid summer day.

(answering myself real quick)
Yup, the filter is right before the blower fan, and I'm guessing that it's in play regardless of whether the system is set for fresh or recirculated air.
https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.co...electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel--heater-blower

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Cabin Air filter after 3 years and 100,000 Kim's A/C seems to work a little better now.

8B160D8E-AB00-48FE-BD07-524ADF29AD8C.jpeg
Ha! Do you park next to a plywood factory or something?

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ha! Do you park next to a plywood factory or something?
Actually yes, Paper mill and saw mill . Will be changing it or cleaning it often now. I didn't realize it was literally a 30 second job to replace.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to provide another alternative...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074BHR574?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Theyā€™re about $7. This Civic now uses a different one than my 9th gen but... back then, the 9th gen Civic and 4th gen Odyssey used the same filter. Iā€™ve been using them exclusively for several years now... changing annually.

Change vs clean/reuse is your choice... just figure Iā€™d share a low cost alternative to OEM or Fram that Iā€™ve had good luck with. Filters filter better the more clogged they get technically speaking... but theyā€™d be more restrictive to good airflow and Iā€™d bet itā€™d be detrimental to your blower motor eventually if it could barely move any air. For $7... I just chuck ā€˜em. Iā€™ve seen them sold in 3 packs as well for maybe a buck less per filter, though only on the Odyssey/gen 9 version.

I donā€™t miss getting your drain clogged from randomness from a lack of filter on old cars and having water get spit out through the vents. Not one bit.

Jens_sedanEX18

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Ex
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am gonna need to change my oil in my car at 40% oil life because being a dummy that I am, and fiddling around with buttons, I accidentally reset my MM and it pushed my oil life percentage back to 100%. I did this mistake when I was at 28,504 miles :\ but someone on here told me to change it at 40% but donā€™t let it get below 40%. I think?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually yes, Paper mill and saw mill . Will be changing it or cleaning it often now. I didn't realize it was literally a 30 second job to replace.
I think you'd be good to go by popping it out and shaking the sawdust out every week or two. Mold spores would require replacing (or a hefty dose of Frigi-Fresh).

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I am gonna need to change my oil in my car at 40% oil life because being a dummy that I am, and fiddling around with buttons, I accidentally reset my MM and it pushed my oil life percentage back to 100%. I did this mistake when I was at 28,504 miles :\ but someone on here told me to change it at 40% but donā€™t let it get below 40%. I think?
If you wanna go by mileage, you can do every 6 or 7 thousand miles. That's when my maintenance minder trips and tells me to change the oil anyways.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Cabin Air filter after 3 years and 100,000 Kim's A/C seems to work a little better now.

8B160D8E-AB00-48FE-BD07-524ADF29AD8C.jpeg
Honda Civic 10th gen Maintenance items that are time dependent regardless of mileage? AA514DEB-792B-477B-BAFA-A266FA732DBE

I'm thinking of a special thread or better a website where people share the images of their used AC filters..... :hmm:This could be a hit. :spaz:
So my filter seems to be about as dirty with dust, minus the huge cellulose load, because I don't have a paper plant around.... And that's after < 14,000 miles.

Since these filters are not made of paper, they could probably be washed/rinsed. I don't like the idea of vacuuming because it seems like transferring already captured dust from one filter to another that I will still need to take care of later.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
AA514DEB-792B-477B-BAFA-A266FA732DBE.jpeg

I'm thinking of a special thread or better a website where people share the images of their used AC filters..... :hmm:This could be a hit. :spaz:
So my filter seems to be about as dirty with dust, minus the huge cellulose load, because I don't have a paper plant around.... And that's after < 14,000 miles.

Since these filters are not made of paper, they could probably be washed/rinsed. I don't like the idea of vacuuming because it seems like transferring already captured dust from one filter to another that I will still need to take care of later.
You can blow it with air from the underside if you have an air compressor.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just to provide another alternative...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074BHR574?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Theyā€™re about $7. This Civic now uses a different one than my 9th gen but... back then, the 9th gen Civic and 4th gen Odyssey used the same filter. Iā€™ve been using them exclusively for several years now... changing annually.

Change vs clean/reuse is your choice... just figure Iā€™d share a low cost alternative to OEM or Fram that Iā€™ve had good luck with. Filters filter better the more clogged they get technically speaking... but theyā€™d be more restrictive to good airflow and Iā€™d bet itā€™d be detrimental to your blower motor eventually if it could barely move any air. For $7... I just chuck ā€˜em. Iā€™ve seen them sold in 3 packs as well for maybe a buck less per filter, though only on the Odyssey/gen 9 version.

I donā€™t miss getting your drain clogged from randomness from a lack of filter on old cars and having water get spit out through the vents. Not one bit.
I've been using these also. Fit great and have the carbon in them.
Sponsored