IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Hey everyone! So I wanted to ask everyone here, specifically those who are tuned, FBO, running ethanol, or built, what's your maintenance schedule like? And what do you like to use in your intervals? You see, I'm FBO with a 27WON turbo, and I'm getting my motor built soon. I would like to properly take care of it and make sure my maintenance is on point. I won't lie, being tuned and whatnot, I like to be on the throttle a bit at times. I know there was a thread on the best oil and why, but I feel like many of those recommendations were for those who were mostly stock and could actually change their oil once a year.

If you can, please list:
  • Your year and model Civic
  • What performance modifications you have
  • If you are tuned, FBO, built, etc
  • What you use in terms of maintenance, for example
    • Oil and filter brand
    • Transmission oil brand
    • Spark plug and gap
    • Etc
  • Your change interval for those mentioned above
I'd really appreciate any responses! I'm currently looking to getting Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30... Thoughts?
Sponsored

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
19 so FBO 35% ethanol. I have 25k 1.5 years now. I change my oil and filter at 6k intervals. I highly recommend 5w-30, and I use penzoil platinum. When I used 0-20 the first time it came out SUS viscosity 44, which is under 0-20 grade. Next used 0-30 and it came out in 0-20 grade at 6k. Next used 5-30 and it still came out 0-20 spec, though just like 0.5 under 0-30 spec. You can send to Blackstone for $30 and check. If you do send in, make sure you go for a nice race and or long drive and get hot and park it and change the oil hot. This will give you an accurate dilution reading as the gas and moisture will burn off. All my samples have been under 1% dilution, or even <0.5%.

Transmission fluid amsoil syncromesh when I didn the spec clutch. Guy that tracks his ctr says when the transmission got hot it doesn't want to shift with the amsoil syncromesh and went back to GM syncromesh and could shift when hot again.:dunno:

Didn't need to do plugs but upgraded to NGK ruthenium LKAR8HX 91784. The new rutheniums are supposed to be best of the best. Think they're gaped at .020?

Haven't changed brake fluid, looks decent enough for now. Changed the coolant when I did head gasket. Rotated tires once then replaced them. Rotated second tires once.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
19 so FBO 35% ethanol. I have 25k 1.5 years now. I change my oil and filter at 6k intervals. I highly recommend 5w-30, and I use penzoil platinum. When I used 0-20 the first time it came out SUS viscosity 44, which is under 0-20 grade. Next used 0-30 and it came out in 0-20 grade at 6k. Next used 5-30 and it still came out 0-20 spec, though just like 0.5 under 0-30 spec.
This sounds right, because 5W30 oils are often thinner (at operating T) than 0W30 oils.
For example the Mobil 1 5W30 EP is specified at 10.6 cSt, while their 0W30 AFE is 11.5 cSt (@212 F).

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This sounds right, because 5W30 oils are often thinner (at operating T) than 0W30 oils.
For example the Mobil 1 5W30 EP is specified at 10.6 cSt, while their 0W30 AFE is 11.5 cSt (@212 F).
That's interesting, I didn't notice that. You can see the SUS is higher and CST is lower on the 5-30 tests. That right most collum is the 0-20
Honda Civic 10th gen Maintenance for Tuned, Built, FBO, etc? oil2

Honda Civic 10th gen Maintenance for Tuned, Built, FBO, etc? oil3