ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
So for those that got these knockoffs, have they caused the bolts to back and kill you?

Edit: Looks like the patent expired in 2017. https://patents.google.com/patent/US8353659 Probably why MagiCollar is able to produce knockoffs. They seem like a relatively new company, so they probably started manufacturing right when the patent expired.

Edit 2: Messaged them on eBay and apparently they're made of the same aluminum alloy, T6061. Not saying anyone should buy these over the Spoon, just providing info.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
my .02
- jdm companies need to make it easier for US consumers and lower the cost per the design. Not particularly the rigid collar, but its stupid how there's a few distributors for JDM. When you try to buy them, the people that work there gives you the run around or wants you to kneel down. It's really that dumb.
- look at the design. Doesn't take einstein to copy it. Its literally an alum insert/collar/bushing....whatever you want to call it. A few hours on the lathe and done realistically.
- I like to support companies, but there's times i'm sick of trying to get parts. It's pretty annoying. The long wait, the constant calls....etc. Not to mention, severely overpriced for what it is.

All that said, I'll still try to get the Spoon collars as i don't think there's much hassle for these. But, i'm also not knocking on the hustle others are doing to make it easier for others.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
Edit 2: Messaged them on eBay and apparently they're made of the same aluminum alloy, T6061. Not saying anyone should buy these over the Spoon, just providing info.
Any confirmation that the Spoon Rigid Collar is also made out of T6061? I agree that this isn't very difficult to copy from the original design. Assuming the material is exactly the same as Spoon's, I don't see how Magic Collar's version can be any riskier to use.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
my .02
- jdm companies need to make it easier for US consumers and lower the cost per the design. Not particularly the rigid collar, but its stupid how there's a few distributors for JDM. When you try to buy them, the people that work there gives you the run around or wants you to kneel down. It's really that dumb.
- look at the design. Doesn't take einstein to copy it. Its literally an alum insert/collar/bushing....whatever you want to call it. A few hours on the lathe and done realistically.
- I like to support companies, but there's times i'm sick of trying to get parts. It's pretty annoying. The long wait, the constant calls....etc. Not to mention, severely overpriced for what it is.

All that said, I'll still try to get the Spoon collars as i don't think there's much hassle for these. But, i'm also not knocking on the hustle others are doing to make it easier for others.
Take this with a grain of salt, but this sounds similar to how drug patents work. Once the patent expires, the generics make the drugs more accessible and the consumer doesn't really complain about buying generics. Obviously there's a lot more R&D for drugs compared to the rigid collars.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Magic Collar Subframe Collars Screenshot_20200415-143747

Any confirmation that the Spoon Rigid Collar is also made out of T6061? I agree that this isn't very difficult to copy from the original design. Assuming the material is exactly the same as Spoon's, I don't see how Magic Collar's version can be any riskier to use.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
This is a good item, when it comes to do a suspension refresh :thumbsup:. Eliminates some of the flex the car will show in the future. Bet. the two brands, I don’t know, for sure high brands tend to be more expensive.

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
i have the Spoon Sport Rigid Collars and they are great.

Steadyhands

First Name
Deez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I got the Magic Collars for the front and rear for the cost of one set of the Spoon collars. I rather spend the extra money on my family. The expired patent opens opportunity for healthy competitive innovation. Would you pay $500 for the brand name version of a drug if a $5 version with proven similar efficacy exists. I value brand loyalty when I can-just not enough to pay double.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I got the Magic Collars for the front and rear for the cost of one set of the Spoon collars. I rather spend the extra money on my family. The expired patent opens opportunity for healthy competitive innovation. Would you pay $500 for the brand name version of a drug if a $5 version with proven similar efficacy exists. I value brand loyalty when I can-just not enough to pay double.
Yeah I'm trying to get some too

Steadyhands

First Name
Deez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah I'm trying to get some too
To note: I would love to know that I have Spoon products, their racing heritage is worthy of their prices.

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, F80 M3, '16 Colorado Diesel, '65 Lincoln Continental
Country flag
Yep. I installed them a couple weeks ago.
Sponsored