Magic Collar Subframe Collars

Aero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, AP2
Country flag
I respect people defending Spoon on this, but these are just a set of collapsable aluminum washers, the price of the Spoon set is just because Spoon, because the manufacturing cost of those are 10$ at most, including the sushi lunch for the guy operating the press machine.

They don't even print the instructions in english to give it more JDM feeling, that's all.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I respect people defending Spoon on this, but these are just a set of collapsable aluminum washers, the price of the Spoon set is just because Spoon, because the manufacturing cost of those are 10$ at most, including the sushi lunch for the guy operating the press machine.

They don't even print the instructions in english to give it more JDM feeling, that's all.
Ive had large qty stuff made in china for dirt cheap, i assume this part would be less than 50c per "side" with anodizing.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I was intrigued by these but then after reading a ton I really think these things are either not necessary at all, and worse I think over time having those dissimilar metals locked together even with that grease isn't a good idea.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I was intrigued by these but then after reading a ton I really think these things are either not necessary at all, and worse I think over time having those dissimilar metals locked together even with that grease isn't a good idea.
I'm not completely sold either. Multiple mounting points with very large bolts .. I doubt the subframe is moving

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
This is my take too, and I have them installed. I did it for proper subframe alignment though.
I don't have a Type R (Si), but I spent the $36 on the Honda subframe alignment tool. With maybe 15 minutes of reinstalling the subframe and using the tool to shift it around I have perfect alignment and even camber on both sides with the strut towers pushed all the way in.

It's really not hard to line up the subframe and get it square.

I bet it's harder to install the collars than it is to use the alignment tool.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I don't have a Type R (Si), but I spent the $36 on the Honda subframe alignment tool. With maybe 15 minutes of reinstalling the subframe and using the tool to shift it around I have perfect alignment and even camber on both sides with the strut towers pushed all the way in.

It's really not hard to line up the subframe and get it square.

I bet it's harder to install the collars than it is to use the alignment tool.
What the heck - did not know that existed. Can you link the tool?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'm not completely sold either. Multiple mounting points with very large bolts .. I doubt the subframe is moving
My mechanical engineer friend said 'once torqued to spec that thing is not moving this is complete snake oil'. Also some alignment's do require adjusting the subframe if a car just can't be aligned, but once they adjust then re-torque to spec, it's not like there is travel.

I feel after a lot of reading that my conclusion was - this is a product for a non issue that then grants an almost placebo effect to someone who installs them.

My biggest concern was 'Here is some paste that negates the bad properties of putting two different metals next to each other' Then they proceed to put the pieces together and torque them to hell -

I don't feel any usable amount of that grease remains between contact surfaces, and have no idea how that will work out longterm as I am not a metalurgist. But they included the paste for a reason, so it can't be good.

So I'm leaving this one in my rear view.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
What the heck - did not know that existed. Can you link the tool?
Disclaimer: The tool is pretty much just a long, specifically sized peg you use in conjunction with following the service manual subframe alignment procedure. One end is marked "FRONT" and is a different size than the other end marked "REAR". I will say it was not difficult at all and my results are fantastic, but it's up to you to get the alignment right. The benefit of the collars would be you let them do the work of lining the subframe up.

In the procedure, it makes it sound like you just put the peg in the hole and it magically lines it up. It does not. I inserted the peg in the hole and tweaked on it to shift the subframe until it looked lined up the way I wanted. I then followed the procedure in the order outlined to install the bolts and switch holes, and tweaked it some more.

Your results can and will vary.

You could probably just lift the car, loosen the subframe bolts, tweak the alignment with the tool, then tighten them back down. I followed the service manual procedure as part of reinstalling the subframe after replacing the clutch.

The Tool:

Honda Civic 10th gen Magic Collar Subframe Collars 1594826033631

The Procedure:

Front:

Honda Civic 10th gen Magic Collar Subframe Collars 1594826078890

Rear:

Honda Civic 10th gen Magic Collar Subframe Collars 1594826112594

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
i bet they use this in the factory for installation
You'd think that, but when I aligned my front subframe on reinstallation my steering was pretty well off to one side, meaning I reinstalled it pretty far away from the factory location.

However, the result of me doing this was even camber across the front with the strut towers pushed all the way in. I can't tell you what the factory camber was but I'd bet money it was not even.

BlinkerBeat

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, F80 M3, '16 Colorado Diesel, '65 Lincoln Continental
Country flag
@NapalmEnema Total agree with you. They do nothing to "improve" fastening. I used them to align the subframe to the body for a better alignment.

@JT Si I didn't know about the alignment tool. If I had I would have gone that way. Live and learn I guess.
Sponsored