Maf Sensor Wire Extender

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know of a maf sensor wire extender I could purchase for our vehicles (I have a 2018 Honda Civic EX Hatchback)? If not, do you know whom I can ask as a follow up or someone who has made maf sensor extenders for past Hondas? I will be looking into this more this week but figured I'd ask someone here just in case they are in the know. I am looking for a piece whereas I can simply plug it into the maf sensor wiring and plug the other end into the maf sensor.

I am looking for one because I am making a custom intake to test against the PRL CAI. It's a personal test. Nothing to sell on the forums and such. I just like doing this stuff. Thanks in advance!

BTW: I'm already looking towards other cars like the Acura TSX, that has the same part number for the maf sensor as mine. Just in case I come across something.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ryansommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
cut the plug and solder more wire onto the harness
This is by far the cheapest solution. Especially considering you're already fabricating a custom intake - which is DIY enough that I'm sure you can figure out some solder and heatshrink tubing! I've extended and tapped into several wires on these Civic's and the only problem you're going to run into is the thin gauge wire that is a bit of a pain to work with but other than that you should be fine.

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is by far the cheapest solution. Especially considering you're already fabricating a custom intake - which is DIY enough that I'm sure you can figure out some solder and heatshrink tubing! I've extended and tapped into several wires on these Civic's and the only problem you're going to run into is the thin gauge wire that is a bit of a pain to work with but other than that you should be fine.
This is an option. Was looking for a cleaner way of going about it though. Saving this for last. :D

ryansommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
This is an option. Was looking for a cleaner way of going about it though. Saving this for last. :D
I would argue that soldering to the existing wire is cleaner. As opposed to a second useless set of M/F Connectors you simply have a small visible section of heatshrink/tape where you cut the original wire. It would look OEM. If you're trying to keep your car such that you can return to stock at any time, that's a different story. Though in my opinion, extending a wire isn't going to raise any red flags, at worst it would appear as though the connector needed to be replaced which is a fairly common repair.

Your other option is just buy the connectors from Honda and make your own extender - because I doubt any company manufactures something like this given how easy it is to DIY.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would argue that soldering to the existing wire is cleaner. As opposed to a second useless set of M/F Connectors you simply have a small visible section of heatshrink/tape where you cut the original wire. It would look OEM. If you're trying to keep your car such that you can return to stock at any time, that's a different story. Though in my opinion, extending a wire isn't going to raise any red flags, at worst it would appear as though the connector needed to be replaced which is a fairly common repair.

Your other option is just buy the connectors from Honda and make your own extender - because I doubt any company manufactures something like this given how easy it is to DIY.
As to being cleaner, he has two intakes that he was to switch in and out. That would leave a lot of floppy lose wire with one of the intakes if he extended his wire.

ryansommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
As to being cleaner, he has two intakes that he was to switch in and out. That would leave a lot of floppy lose wire with one of the intakes if he extended his wire.
Fair point, I didn't think of that. If that's the case then I would just buy the connectors and make a simple extender that meets your length requirements.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
If he's adding that much wiring then his intake is a flaw . doesn't make sense to add 2 or 3 ft of extra wiring

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fair point, I didn't think of that. If that's the case then I would just buy the connectors and make a simple extender that meets your length requirements.
I can and probably will simply tie down any wires from moving around more than necessary. Thanks for the feedback so far.

ryansommer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I can and probably will simply tie down any wires from moving around more than necessary. Thanks for the feedback so far.
So what sort of design are you testing that requires extending the MAF sensor anyways? Are you doing something radically different than the PRL routing? What material are you using for the piping? I'm curious because I custom fabbed my CAI as well.

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So what sort of design are you testing that requires extending the MAF sensor anyways? Are you doing something radically different than the PRL routing? What material are you using for the piping? I'm curious because I custom fabbed my CAI as well.
In general, I'm looking for more flexibility in making different kinds of intakes just to test ideas or seeing what they do. Right now I would like to enclose this filter into a box.
Honda Civic 10th gen Maf Sensor Wire Extender big-air-filter-1-

Honda Civic 10th gen Maf Sensor Wire Extender big-air-filter-1-

The box will be wrapped with heat wrap and/or aluminum foil. The bottom portion of the box will be shaped like a funnel and it will funnel into the 90 degree plastic portion of the PRL CAI that goes to the foglight area. The filter in the foglight area will be removed. I won't say why I am testing this particular setup or how I 'think' it will perform against the PRL because I personally feel like I know. What I will do is test it at the track to compare 1/4 mile times and trap speeds (60ft times and all the times in between as well of course) and let the numbers speak for themselves. This is what I've always done.

I plan on testing the PRL CAI against the PRL race maf setup as well as soon as I can get a calibration file for it (My laptop has been acting up this week but once I get that situated, I'll work with Ktuner for however long it takes).

Also, this one idea may not be the only intake I test. I just like seeing how different intakes perform and change the characteristics and performance of a car.
Did it on my 2015 Honda Fit --- Great Intake Test
My 2010 Rav4 -- Intake Diameter Observation or Weapon R vs S&B Air Filter Dyno
Subaru Impreza -- Ebay Intake vs Stock Intake Dyno
Subaru SVX - ToMyx Intake vs STi Panel Filter "Called ToMyx because I had a guy named Tom build it for me who doubted my intake idea and said it wouldn't work along with a bunch of other people 'Intake Idea'

I can keep posting links upon links to other cars and threads but you get the idea. I just like tinkering and sharing the results. This stuff is fascinating to me and fun. My intake will look like crap if/when it's finished, like they all do. It won't be for looks though, only function. It's just in good fun though, that's all! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
did you put that plastic cover up where the harness runs into. you could probably pull it out and gain a few inch of slack

OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
did you put that plastic cover up where the harness runs into. you could probably pull it out and gain a few inch of slack
Yes, you are correct. I did do that and gained a few more inches. It wasn't enough. I can compromise and make the silicone a little longer but I want the transition to be immediate after that turbo inlet pipe to the maf sensor and the maf sensor the air filter. So the only smaller diameter I have is from the turbo inlet pipe up to the end of the maf, then expand from there as wide as I can fit. Be it a tube or filter that is enclosed.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
This site has a wealth of connectors. Take your time and go through it. You might find what you need.

https://bmotorsports.com/shop/

I was able to find male and female connectors for my Subaru.
Sponsored