ksteele16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 1.5T Sport
Country flag
2018 civic sport non si here, I put a stage 1 phearable tune on with the stock air intake and everything works fine. I have an AEM 21-798C - Aluminum Gunmetal Gray Cold Air Intake System and when I put that on, the car doesn’t boost past like 8 psi. I’ve driven a few hundred miles with it and it doesn’t seem to be able to adjust. Is there anyway to fix this or do I just have to use the stock system?
Sponsored

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
2018 civic sport non si here, I put a stage 1 phearable tune on with the stock air intake and everything works fine. I have an AEM 21-798C - Aluminum Gunmetal Gray Cold Air Intake System and when I put that on, the car doesn’t boost past like 8 psi. I’ve driven a few hundred miles with it and it doesn’t seem to be able to adjust. Is there anyway to fix this or do I just have to use the stock system?
Is it a "Race" intake system?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's everything on snug? MAF seated well?

OP
OP
ksteele16

ksteele16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 1.5T Sport
Country flag
It's everything on snug? MAF seated well?
Everything is tight and snug, the MAF sensor also has an O ring that fits airtight into the intake. One discrepancy can be that I did not put on the last pipe which basically puts the intake filter in the wheel well. I did this because it is too close to the ground leaving it vulnerable to water damage and other debris. I guess it can be that the MAF sensor is too close to the intake filter causing an un-uniform flow of air in the pipe giving it a poor reading

OP
OP
ksteele16

ksteele16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 1.5T Sport
Country flag
Everything is tight and snug, the MAF sensor also has an O ring that fits airtight into the intake. One discrepancy can be that I did not put on the last pipe which basically puts the intake filter in the wheel well. I did this because it is too close to the ground leaving it vulnerable to water damage and other debris. I guess it can be that the MAF sensor is too close to the intake filter causing an un-uniform flow of air in the pipe giving it a poor reading
however I don't understand how short ram intakes can work then if its essentially the same setup

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Post up a datalog. That might give us some clues. Also, if you're installing something, install it as intended, not removing parts.

You're describing a low boost issue but a MAF problem usually corresponds to fuel trim issues.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A proper datalog includes regular driving, idling and some WOT pulls.

OP
OP
ksteele16

ksteele16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 1.5T Sport
Country flag
A proper datalog includes regular driving, idling and some WOT pulls.
I see. I'm not a fan of the filter sitting so low to the ground that it can cause engine damage so I'll probably get rid of it. With the stock system the boost is not a problem so I guess the problem is that I do not have it fully assembled as intended. Thank you for the advice

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I mean the odds of hydrolocking the engine are slim, but I understand where you're coming from. Me I just run a PRL hose and aFe drop-in with my tune. I've had aftermarket intakes in the past but I'm not into louder sounds these days.

That Phearable tune is great. I currently run and love the 1.5R version.

Btw, if you get a chance, add your car to my community tune reliability thread.

OP
OP
ksteele16

ksteele16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 1.5T Sport
Country flag
I mean the odds of hydrolocking the engine are slim, but I understand where you're coming from. Me I just run a PRL hose and aFe drop-in with my tune. I've had aftermarket intakes in the past but I'm not into louder sounds these days.

Btw, that Phearable tune is great. I currently run and love the 1.5R version.
thats a humble setup you got, I absolutely love the phearable tune. I don't have an si or type R sadly but with rev hang off, soft throttle padding, and improved throttle response II the car runs even better than a stock tune. For a 1.5 it puts out some great power I love it. There's plenty other things in the quick adjustments to play with but I don't want to play around too much without professional guidance

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Plenty of things to adjust? In addition to what you've done there's not all that much you can adjust on a locked tune. BBG and Advanced VSA are two useful features though and no pro advice needed. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
ksteele16

ksteele16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic 1.5T Sport
Country flag
Plenty of things to adjust? In addition to what you've done there's not all that much you can adjust on a locked tune. BBG and Advanced VSA are two useful features and no pro advice needed. lol
I've never considered changing the BBG from its custom setting or enabling advanced VSA, not sure what that does. Also on the starter tunes you have lots of options to choose from unlike the stage tunes. You can change turbo spool from factory to improved but I haven't touched that.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I know starter tunes have lots of adjustments. I literally have thousands of posts on that. But you had mentioned the locked OTS Phearable tune you're running, not a starter tune, so I was referring to that.
Sponsored

Last edited: