Adam16T

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX
Country flag
Who here is a Mac user? Just got my new MBA M1 16/512. Love it....., And Big Sur is a vast improvement. UI is much more intuitive. Also its freaking fast.
Sponsored

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm personally holding off on the M1 based chipsets. I know that I won't be able to forever but at least for the time being I'm sticking with my Intel based MBP.
I like running bootcamp for Windows use (for Hondata, VCDS, etc when having a laptop at the vehicle is necessary), and VM software is laggy and crappy IMO.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Congrats, nice machine you have! I have been using Macs since grade school back in the mid 90’s. There was a period from about 1998 thru 2003 where I only used Windows but since then I primarily use my Mac for mostly everything with exception to KTuner :) Of course my work is all Windows so I still have to live and breathe that every single day but when it comes to personal use, OSX is my favorite! Apple really does make great hardware with a well-polished OS to go with it. I recently switched to an iPhone after using Android for more than a decade. I still have a few dislikes with iOS compared to Android but for the most part I’ve been really happy with it.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was waiting for the AS to be released for some time, and took the risk of being a guinea pig user. Wow, what a screamer! Apple changed the game, and now Intel is scrambling. I have the 13” M1 256/8GB ram.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Congrats, nice machine you have! I have been using Macs since grade school back in the mid 90’s. There was a period from about 1998 thru 2003 where I only used Windows but since then I primarily use my Mac for mostly everything with exception to KTuner :) Of course my work is all Windows so I still have to live and breathe that every single day but when it comes to personal use, OSX is my favorite! Apple really does make great hardware with a well-polished OS to go with it. I recently switched to an iPhone after using Android for more than a decade. I still have a few dislikes with iOS compared to Android but for the most part I’ve been really happy with it.
One or two Apple products when viewed by themselves may not always be the best product on the market. Are there more powerful phones? Absolutely. Computers? Definitely.

Its when you bring the entire Apple Ecosystem to gether that it shines. From my phone to my watch to my Macbook to my AppleTv and so on, it all integrates seamlessly and works together flawlessly. Apple Homekit stuff is amazing as well.

Similar results can be achieved through other devices, but with lots of fumbling around, connection issues, compatibility problems and so on.

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Who here is a Mac user? Just got my new MBA M1 16/512. Love it....., And Big Sur is a vast improvement. UI is much more intuitive. Also its freaking fast.
Grew up with an Apple II GS but used Windows machines exclusively from middle school until about my Junior year of college when I bought a used Mac Mini G4 off eBay. The rest is history, lol! Current main Macs are a iMac 5k (i9/64GB/512GB) and I too just bought a MBA M1 but with the stock 8GB/256GB configuration . The M1 MBA was replacing a 2012 MBA (i5/4GB/128GB) for me. Definitely a vast improvement! Love having Touch ID and unlock with Apple Watch feature. It also is MUCH smaller than the 2012 MBA even though it has the same display size since they cut out those large bezels :thumbsup:

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Grew up with an Apple II GS but used Windows machines exclusively from middle school until about my Junior year of college when I bought a used Mac Mini G4 off eBay. The rest is history, lol! Current main Macs are a iMac 5k (i9/64GB/512GB) and I too just bought a MBA M1 but with the stock 8GB/256GB configuration . The M1 MBA was replacing a 2012 MBA (i5/4GB/128GB) for me. Definitely a vast improvement! Love having Touch ID and unlock with Apple Watch feature. It also is MUCH smaller than the 2012 MBA even though it has the same display size since they cut out those large bezels :thumbsup:
Word on the Apple pipeline is that a 14" MBP is coming to replace the currnet generation. Also the Touchbar sounds as if its going away. If I jump to an M1 chip, I'll definitely hold out for that. It does sound as though battery life and speed are a vast improvement over the current Intels.

I'm so conflicted ?

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Word on the Apple pipeline is that a 14" MBP is coming to replace the currnet generation. Also the Touchbar sounds as if its going away. If I jump to an M1 chip, I'll definitely hold out for that. It does sound as though battery life and speed are a vast improvement over the current Intels.

I'm so conflicted ?
I know the feeling. Before I purchased my 5k iMac last year, lots of people were telling me to hold out because Apple was surely going to release a redesigned iMac at WWDC. Well, that didn't happen. Playing the waiting game can be a never-ending game if you go too deep down that rabbit hole. I tend to keep my Macs for at least 5 years or more, though, so for me - even if I DO miss out on something shortly after I purchase a new one, the one I got is still a massive improvement over what I had.

OP
OP
Adam16T

Adam16T

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX
Country flag
Thanks guys, would have responded sooner but had a pipe leak in my kitchen and spent all day fixing it. Never send a woman to get a part. LOL. I grew up on Apple. My dad had one of the first Apple VAR's in the Washington DC area. My first computer was a IIE. Then a GS, and countless others. Currently we are Apple and PC family But Apple wins. The 3 of us each have Apple Watches, 11 ProMax, 2020 iPad Pro's, then my M1 MBA, Wife has a Dell G5, Son has a HP Omen.

The M1 is insane. My dad always bought the newest computer as soon as it came out every 3 years. He felt Apple always put out something that was great. The AS Chips are going to be incredibly good now and unbelievable in the future.
Sponsored