First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 LX-P coupe
Country flag
@AmyChris13
I LOVE my coupe as well and IMHO it looks better than any CTR out there because of its lines...and i too would like to have it fast one day but im thinking more something along the lines of an electric swap of some kind...here she stands this morning waiting for it, at CAD 2.24$/L. for regular... she aint going nowhere...šŸ˜”

20220607_081031.jpg

EDIT: And since we are kind of talking about the possibilities now, here is the most built CIVIC coupe ever...:p

Red Bull found the CTR too long and too big...they preferred the coupe

intresting. i dont know much about electric crate motors or even regular electric motors . What typa wheels you got on (brand and size) i have a red coupe and i hate my 16s maybe ill start off with wheels and suspension + rv6 downpipe and ktuner and save up for a CTR swap and by than prices will hopefully go down too

OP
OP
maktooperfect

maktooperfect

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thatā€™s EXACTLY what my intent is, I think the OP kind of has that spirit. I want a sneaky monster. There are no more coupes, and certainly few with a type r power train.

Again- why I am waiting patiently for some kid to wreck their CTR- I want the ECU also, because Iā€™ll need it. šŸ˜‰ The only other option, possibly, is an Accord sport setup with a bunch of shifter bitsā€¦ and the brain/harness.

BC2E405E-0A80-47A4-A1AC-51B654290067.png
i love the spirit. The legend goes as one day my dad was shopping for an Accord or something and i saw this beauty (LX RED COUPE) in the middle of the showroom and without looking at specs or anything i begged him to get it. He cursed me for coercing him to buy it for the last four years but its finally mine and i enthusiastically opened CivicX to learn everyone just focuses on the 1.5t. I might be stupid for this but i love this car its been my dream car since my dad got it and i want to do something with it. The engine bay seems pretty small so idk if a Accord engine will fit in but if thats not the case screw the CTR. I just want a bit of performance. the question is what engine/transmission do i do thatll be the easiest and cheapest. Im thinking for a swap ill need to swap Engine, Transmission, Transmission module, ECU, and shifter assmebly am i missing anything?

OP
OP
maktooperfect

maktooperfect

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you want to do it just to have a cool swap then by all means. I would think selling it and upgrading to an Si would just be the smarter way to go.

I'm not sure what you could do to your ECU to not have it flip out about the swap.
Theres no replacement for displacement. i cant go from a shitty 2 liter to a 1.5 liter even if its better. besides its gonna cost a lot since my car wont sell for much (114k miles) maybe a standalone ECU or a CTR ECU ? Im still a relative beggenir

AmyChris13

First Name
Amy and Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic sport coupe
Country flag
I will tell you this: that cvt isnā€™t something Iā€™d want, but Iā€™d hang in there. A manual swap seems pretty extreme, and Iā€™m hoping the c2 gets a little more attention in the next few years from the aftermarket, since Honda is still using it pretty extensively. Iā€™m not going near an L15 anytime soon, I love my Kā€™s! That swap Iā€™m imagining for my coupe may happen, but not before all the parts are in place. In the meantime Iā€™ll squeeze as much as I can from the NA c2.

OP
OP
maktooperfect

maktooperfect

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I will tell you this: that cvt isnā€™t something Iā€™d want, but Iā€™d hang in there. A manual swap seems pretty extreme, and Iā€™m hoping the c2 gets a little more attention in the next few years from the aftermarket, since Honda is still using it pretty extensively. Iā€™m not going near an L15 anytime soon, I love my Kā€™s! That swap Iā€™m imagining for my coupe may happen, but not before all the parts are in place. In the meantime Iā€™ll squeeze as much as I can from the NA c2.
just ordered the RV6 Downpipe, Ktuner, and K&N air intake (1500$). ill install them and if they are good enough then ill enjoy the reliability and peace of mind. Pls keep me updated on what u decide to do with ur k20c2 and then we make the move together šŸ¤ž

AmyChris13

First Name
Amy and Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™ve done for now, and Iā€™m considering exhaust options. Hang in there- when this platform ages, more products and options will be available. I believe this is the last Honda NA vtec, so Iā€™m cherishing it while I can. It IS still a K20, after all.

REBELXSi

SeƱor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
the K20C1 is a 2.0L 4 cyl and the K20C2 is also 2.0L 4cyl but without a turbo. it seems to me that they dont have a crazy difference other than the turbo, what if k20c2 is only slow cuz honda paired it with a cvt and undertuned it so it wont outshine the 1.5t
This is most certainly not the case. Displacement and cylinder count is probably about all those two have in common. The fact that you don't know that shows how challenging this whole thing would be. Not even trying to sound rude but you've got some research to do.

Last edited:

REBELXSi

SeƱor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™ve done for now, and Iā€™m considering exhaust options. Hang in there- when this platform ages, more products and options will be available. I believe this is the last Honda NA vtec, so Iā€™m cherishing it while I can. It IS still a K20, after all.
I am far less optimistic. The k20a3 in the EP3 never got any real attention because the k20a/a2 (and even k24) was around at the same time. With the k20 from the CTR or even the L15b around, dumping a ton of money and time into the k20C2 will bring diminishing returns

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I just want a bit of performance. the question is what engine/transmission do i do thatll be the easiest and cheapest. Im thinking for a swap ill need to swap Engine, Transmission, Transmission module, ECU, and shifter assmebly am i missing anything?
You're missing almost everything. Way more to even list. The only way to realistically swap that car is to find a wrecked type R and swap everything from the dash, all the harnesses, all the sensors, suspension, all of it. Even then you'll still have lights on, errors, because the interior harnesses are different between a 2 and 4 door. It will read faults for missing plugs, sensors, the list goes on.

Point is if you're here asking, you don't have anywhere close to the ability to pull it off. Swapping these cars is just not feasible unless you have extensive knowledge.

AmyChris13

First Name
Amy and Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Taco- youā€™re listing the parts for a daily. The engine/transmission/harness are all I would really be after, if at all. Iā€™m enjoying this little variant for what it is, according to its strengths. Iā€™m optimistic, and thatā€™s essentially where we differ.
Regardless-a swap is a monumental undertaking, and I wonā€™t try to claim it isnā€™t either. Iā€™m well aware of the differences between a C1 and C2.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ctr trans wonā€™t bolt up to c2 block unless you add bell housing adapter and crack/flywheel spacer. Ctr block will bolt up to c2 head if and only if custom pistons are used due to increased travel with intake valve under vtec. Then youā€™ll be able to do ctr trans but need custom axles.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You're burning money by modifying a 2.0 LX. As far as a tranny swap, you're going to likely need trans, axles, cables, shifter, modified flywheel, clutch, slave, pedal assembly, CMC, miscellaneous small parts, custom harness, mounts, and some type of ECU solution to keep the stock ECU from freaking out. aaperformancebuilds on IG built a k20c4 (accord motor) swap in a Civic Si. It is still well over $10k in parts let alone labor if you can't do everything yourself but this should likely be the route you should go instead.

AmyChris13

First Name
Amy and Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ctr block will bolt up to c2 head if and only if custom pistons are used due to increased travel with intake valve under vtec.
I donā€™t know where the advantage of using the intake side C2 head would be- especially for forced induction, but thatā€™s a straw manā€¦
I guess Iā€™m curious: if the bore and stroke are the same (they are), why not use the C2 Pistons with the C1 rods? The crank is also the same.
This is totally a devilā€™s advocate question. Youā€™ve already taught me something.
EDIT: add source material
https://tiremeetsroad.com/2021/03/1...the-civic-type-r-2-0l-turbo-engine-different/

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I donā€™t know where the advantage of using the intake side C2 head would be- especially for forced induction, but thatā€™s a straw manā€¦
I guess Iā€™m curious: if the bore and stroke are the same (they are), why not use the C2 Pistons with the C1 rods? The crank is also the same.
This is totally a devilā€™s advocate question. Youā€™ve already taught me something.
EDIT: add source material
https://tiremeetsroad.com/2021/03/1...the-civic-type-r-2-0l-turbo-engine-different/
Probably because the C1 is a purposely designed performance engine built with better materials and tighter tolerances throughout making it more expensive and much more durable.

If you would in a magic world bolt on the type R turbo onto a C2 and reach normal boost...the C2 would probably be burning oil after just a few hundred pulls...so basically by the time you're done tuning it, its already half cooked...and it would probably spill its guts before reaching 1000 pull. CTR engines do not do that.

They have better cooling, better seals, better alloys, better everything.

Last edited:

AmyChris13

First Name
Amy and Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not even close to what I was thinking, but agreed with your statement about a perfect world. Remember Iā€™m playing Devilā€™s advocate- you were warned. As far as imaginary exclusivity for the C1- yes, critical bits are only on the C1, but there are apparently a bunch of shared internals. Likewise, the only reason certain parts ā€œonlyā€ fit certain models is because nobodyā€™s TRIED it.
Which brings us full circle, to the OP.
Consensus, including my opinion, is save your money, donā€™t swap the manual in, and MAYBE swap someday laterā€¦Thus raising ire and derision from near and far.
Hypothetical questions or requests for technical instruction will be dealt with accordingly.
Make it a great day! šŸ˜‚
Sponsored