azonc

First Name
Azon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Civic LX4Dsedan, 2015Odyssey EX, 2010Civic LX
Country flag
I am not audiophile. I own 8th gen Civic LX. First thing upgrade speaker. I installed Polk DB651. The audio has big improvement. Then I bought 10th gen Civic LX, I did same thing install Polk DB652 (651 was discontinued). I was disappointed. The result was same as 8th gen upgrade. I know 8th EX and LX use same head unit. 10th gen is different. Should I upgrade Android head unit or install Sound deadening mat?
Sponsored

BailOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Country flag
SD is cheaper and can bring more bass/low end out, if that's what's lacking for you. I replaced all four speakers and then SD'd the doors - the improvement has been enough for me to be ok with delaying the expensive HU upgrade. You may find doing what I've done is good enough for your "non-audiophile" ears - personally I would prefer a new HU though, as I am more of a 'phile.

Bru87tr

If you replaced the speakers for better sound, you are an Audiophile. :)

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If any of the Civics should have their HU upgraded, it would definitely be the LX. You have two options with that idea in mind. 1) buy/make a custom wiring harness and buy an EX unit (premium touchscreen) if you want to retain OEM look and feel but have better-than LX, or 2) go on Crutchfield and put in your car's information, buy a nice touchscreen unit and the wiring harness, and you'll be good to go.

While a HU will definitely allow more customization of your sound and the LX unit is horrendous, I wouldn't necessarily do that without doing the speakers first with our Civics. Even the EX-L speaker system is hot garbage in my opinion, coming from a '04 Tahoe with the premium Bose system. Upgrading speakers, and putting a little SD in your doors will go a long ways. Once all that's done, buy a good HU down the road and dial in your speakers to it.

Depending on how much cash you have and how deep you wanna take this, you can buy some decent component or even coaxial speakers for around $100 a pair (RF 3-ways, RF components, or RF 2way coaxials are all excellent options), then buy a $2-300 radio, and you'll be good to go!

OP
OP
azonc

azonc

First Name
Azon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019Civic LX4Dsedan, 2015Odyssey EX, 2010Civic LX
Country flag
If any of the Civics should have their HU upgraded, it would definitely be the LX. You have two options with that idea in mind. 1) buy/make a custom wiring harness and buy an EX unit (premium touchscreen) if you want to retain OEM look and feel but have better-than LX, or 2) go on Crutchfield and put in your car's information, buy a nice touchscreen unit and the wiring harness, and you'll be good to go.

While a HU will definitely allow more customization of your sound and the LX unit is horrendous, I wouldn't necessarily do that without doing the speakers first with our Civics. Even the EX-L speaker system is hot garbage in my opinion, coming from a '04 Tahoe with the premium Bose system. Upgrading speakers, and putting a little SD in your doors will go a long ways. Once all that's done, buy a good HU down the road and dial in your speakers to it.

Depending on how much cash you have and how deep you wanna take this, you can buy some decent component or even coaxial speakers for around $100 a pair (RF 3-ways, RF components, or RF 2way coaxials are all excellent options), then buy a $2-300 radio, and you'll be good to go!
Thank you. I like Crutchfield. I bought speakers from there. But when I search HU. it show warming. "The factory clock cannot be adjusted after you replace the factory radio." Do it have same issue on Android HU?

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you. I like Crutchfield. I bought speakers from there. But when I search HU. it show warming. "The factory clock cannot be adjusted after you replace the factory radio." Do it have same issue on Android HU?
Strange, I haven't heard of that problem before. I haven't heard of people having that issue with other Android-based units off Amazon... So hopefully not.
Sponsored