Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 // 2007 AP2
Country flag
idk if this has ever been discussed before but how does the varis side flares affect the aero of the car? in stock form it seems like its trying to direct air upwards to the wing but the flares round off the rear so idk if that is helpful or bad or neutral.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
idk if this has ever been discussed before but how does the varis side flares affect the aero of the car? in stock form it seems like its trying to direct air upwards to the wing but the flares round off the rear so idk if that is helpful or bad or neutral.
You get less rear end downforce but I haven’t experienced a noticeable impact.

RStoR

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 SI Sedan & '18 RR #18407
Country flag
In this Honda article on the CTR, their aero engineer and the supporting graphic state the rear overfender "flick" simply creates an air curtain for the wheel. There is no reference to pushing air upwards to the wing. Note in the photo the design is complete ala Varis extension. I doubt adding the Varis piece has any negligible impact on the car's aero.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build CTR Aero.JPG

hesitation

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8 // 2007 AP2
Country flag
In this Honda article on the CTR, their aero engineer and the supporting graphic state the rear overfender "flick" simply creates an air curtain for the wheel. There is no reference to pushing air upwards to the wing. Note in the photo the design is complete ala Varis extension. I doubt adding the Varis piece has any negligible impact on the car's aero.

CTR Aero.JPG
nice, good catch. even in the diagrams it looks like they have it rounded out so i guess it shouldn't be an issue to add them on

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I've been itching to get the car back on track since I seem to have sorted out all of the gremlins. Unfortunately the next available track day is during the same time as a vacation I had planned. While I still wanted to get the car on track, I hit up a buddy of mine who races in USTCC to see if he'd be willing to drive it this weekend to do some data logging and to see what kind of times it'll do.

He made a short video about what I've done with the car so if you wanna see that, check out his YouTube video below. I'll be sure to update the thread with his times + thoughts on the car. It'll be interesting to see since he is very familiar with the FWD platform and races a NA RSX for USTCC.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I always love sharing data, theories, and general ideas. This past weekend I had a friend of mine, who races in USTCC, take my car out for some hot laps and data logging since I went away for vacation. I wanted to see what the car was capable of in terms of lap time and cooling performance now that I’ve got the gremlins sorted out. Unfortunately, it wasn’t on a very “fun” track. The test track ended up being Thunderhill West Clockwise. Thunderhill west is a shorter and more technical track and some might argue that it doesn’t stress the car enough. I’m here to share the data anyway…

We do have a day planned in July for Thunderhill East where the car can really stretch its legs so stay tuned for that. It’ll definitely be HOT. With some fresh rubber and minor tweaks I’m confident it’ll break sub 2:00.

Ambient temperatures were warm but not hot. Anywhere from 77-85F according to my friend Sean. He was able to clock a 1:24.45 in this configuration which I think is the fastest recorded for a FK8. Coolant temperatures were no where near overheating levels and stayed very close to 200F all day. Below you’ll see a screenshot of my datalog. You’ll see this is 16 minutes into a session still going WOT. He said that there was still time to shave, maybe 1 second or so, with some minor setup tweaks but the biggest hinderance was traffic as he could only get 1 clean lap.

He was overall very very pleased with the car. The only thing he recommend to work on was low speed rotation and traction in 2nd gear. I already had assumed this would be an opportunity since I only set the rear sway bar to medium stiff. I’ll be working with DRob as he said he can do boost by gear to get me some more traction in 2nd. Guess that means everything is working as advertised!

Things I plan to change: soften front suspension a couple of clicks, stiffen the RV6 rear sway bar, raise ride height by 1/2” + corner balance, change front camber from -3 to -3.5, and detune 2nd gear torque.

I don’t wanna drag on about all the mods so if you do have specific setup questions, I’m here to help.

I wanted to wait to post this update until Sean uploaded the onboard footage but I’m not sure when that will be. Should be uploaded soon, I hope.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build OmtWahJ

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build cNpK2pz

Last edited:

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I always love sharing data, theories, and general ideas. This past weekend I had a friend of mine, who races in USTCC, take my car out for some hot laps and data logging since I went away for vacation. I wanted to see what the car was capable of in terms of lap time and cooling performance now that I’ve got the gremlins sorted out. Unfortunately, it wasn’t on a very “fun” track. The test track ended up being Thunderhill West Clockwise. Thunderhill west is a shorter and more technical track and some might argue that it doesn’t stress the car enough. I’m here to share the data anyway…

We do have a day planned in July for Thunderhill East where the car can really stretch its legs so stay tuned for that. It’ll definitely be HOT. With some fresh rubber and minor tweaks I’m confident it’ll break sub 2:00.

Ambient temperatures were warm but not hot. Anywhere from 77-85F according to my friend Sean. He was able to clock a 1:24.45 in this configuration which I think is the fastest recorded for a FK8. Coolant temperatures were no where near overheating levels and stayed very close to 200F all day. Below you’ll see a screenshot of my datalog. You’ll see this is 16 minutes into a session still going WOT. He said that there was still time to shave, maybe 1 second or so, with some minor setup tweaks but the biggest hinderance was traffic as he could only get 1 clean lap.

He was overall very very pleased with the car. The only thing he recommend to work on was low speed rotation and traction in 2nd gear. I already had assumed this would be an opportunity since I only set the rear sway bar to medium stiff. I’ll be working with DRob as he said he can do boost by gear to get me some more traction in 2nd. Guess that means everything is working as advertised!

Things I plan to change: soften front suspension a couple of clicks, stiffen the RV6 rear sway bar, raise ride height by 1/2” + corner balance, change front camber from -3 to -3.5, and detune 2nd gear torque.

I don’t wanna drag on about all the mods so if you do have specific setup questions, I’m here to help.

I wanted to wait to post this update until Sean uploaded the onboard footage but I’m not sure when that will be. Should be uploaded soon, I hope.

OmtWahJ.png

cNpK2pz.jpg
I want to see data for a terribly hot day. While we don't often breach 86 ambient in Toronto area, it would be interesting to know your cars cap.

battledog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Country flag
Do you pass Laguna Seca 90db with the new Fujitsubo exhaust?

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Michael, really liking the work you have done to your car!