.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I think it was you I was talking to on the group chat about coating the DP/ FP right? I got a quote from Jet Hot for my PRL pieces and its $308 total including return shipping not bad!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Sweet build. Rockguards front and rear or just front? Any drilling required or do they use existing holes? Really interested to see if the Ron Davis radiator makes a big difference.
Thank you! I only did the front for now. I didn’t feel like the rear kicked up much. No drilling at all required and used factory mounting locations! Fitment was spot on. I’ll update the thread with the radiator once I have more info.

I think it was you I was talking to on the group chat about coating the DP/ FP right? I got a quote from Jet Hot for my PRL pieces and its $308 total including return shipping not bad!
That’s pretty darn good and yes that is I. I’ve been looking at the cerakote stuff, jet hot, and swain tech. So many options to choose from but not enough information available about how much improvement these coatings make.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Got tired of waiting again and decided to install my HKS intercooler with piping kit. Initially I wanted to do some type of thermal coating on the piping but ended up just wrapping one of the pipes in DEI Reflect-a-gold. I did some reading and found that the polished aluminum material would actually refelect better than the gold tape which is why I left it unwrapped. If someone has evidence otherwise please let me know. The matte pipe on the other hand, I decided to wrap because it sits so close to the oil pan and downpipe. The piping kit is very well made.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build s0g3aaP

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build nnPCChL

Comparing the HKS to the stock intercooler is pretty cool. You can clearly see the size difference of the HKS. Hopefully this will help with IATs on track.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build Fykdlt4

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build 8V8mC14

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build uGG8YmQ

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build RE3XzOI

Here is everything installed

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build hSErV8s

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build qW2siME

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build YLAUyam

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build 3kxNCz1

Initial impressions are that the IATs drastically drop down when the car is on throttle. Ambient temps today were in the low 60s. When driving at speeds around 65-75 the car saw IAT 1 at 70-80 depending on the amount of throttle. Butt dyno can't tell if there's a power gain. This will definitely be suited more towards a track/circuit vehicle since I noticed that it did gain heat back very quickly when off throttle or idling. One thing to note is that the power came on a bit smoother which is nice. I'll update the thread once I get more seat time with it.

View attachment 208908

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
Where did you get these from? I've had quick gander, but no real luck. They fit quite nicely.

Decided to install the following: ZL1 rock guards.

I went with the ZL1 rockguards to prevent chips on the sides of the car. My previous CTR and all my track buddies have tons of rock chips on doors. Hopefully this subtle rock guard will mitigate this. Cheap enough and not too loud like Rally Armor.

ErFM6YE.jpg

Rottboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 BB CType R; ''17 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupe; 15 Honda Fit LX Manual; '14 MB G550;
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
.............. I recommend wrapping the whole car in PPF .......,do high impact spots.............ceramic coat the rest.............
A great build. Was still thinking about it, but comments on paint quality on this thread convinced me to do PPF. At least for high impact areas.
Laguna Seca? Bay Area residents have it so good. My #3 son lives in the city (1 minute from Union Sq.) and has done that track numerous times w/ his sport bikes and his '06 BMW M3 E46. Raves about challenging that corkscrew. Your CTR looks so at home on the tarmac!?
BTW, where can one buy those JDM clear lens and the front wheel guards?

MESSAGE TO LUST:
Thanks for the mud guard link. Order made by son #4 who is getting too excited!!!

Last edited:

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Where did you get these from? I've had quick gander, but no real luck. They fit quite nicely.
Fitment is spot on! Very happy with them

A great build. Was still thinking about it, but comments on paint quality on this thread convinced me to do PPF. At least for high impact areas.
Laguna Seca? Bay Area residents have it so good. My #3 son lives in the city (1 minute from Union Sq.) and has done that track numerous times his sport bikes and his '06 BMW M3 E46. Raves about challenging that corkscrew. Your CTR looks so at home on the tarmac!?
BTW, where can one buy those JDM clear lens and the front wheel guards?
Thanks for the compliments! PPF is definitely worth the investment IMO. Hoping to get back out on track soon once things return to normal. I purchased my rock guards here

https://zl1addons.com/collections/h...ducts/civic-17-19-type-r-standard-rock-guards

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Another minor update:

Working still with Ron Davis on a radiator solution. For my power goals, they’re recommending a 2 1/4” thick radiator core. The problem is seeing if this will fit. The largest that I know to fit is a koyorad and that’s only 1.7” thick. If anyone has insight on this it will be greatly appreciated, otherwise I will need to take apart the car and measure.

RV6 was having a deal so I ordered their catted downpipe and front pipe coated in black ceramic. Once that arrives I’ll wrap it in DEI titanium wrap. Heat reduction is heat reduction right?

My order is still up in the air with the PRL inlet. Slowly losing hope on it and might just go with a competitor at this point. Once I figure this out, I’ll commission Derek at IMW for e-tuning.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Damn 2 1/4" is thiqq. My only other concern aside from fitment would not being able to move enough air through it, but your hood and grill should help with that. The Koyo is apparently a really tight fit against intercooler piping so I'm not sure how an additional .55" would fair. Getting the big stock cat out should help underhood temps along with DEI wrapping the RV6 one. Is the PRL inlet on back order or something? The Rampage one looks sick but is really expensive, as most of the inlet pipes are. I would just wrap mine is DEI gold reflective tape or get the PTP cover and call it a day, but there are definitely gains to be had with the aftermarket pipes, although gains do equate to more heat.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Damn 2 1/4" is thiqq. My only other concern aside from fitment would not being able to move enough air through it, but your hood and grill should help with that. The Koyo is apparently a really tight fit against intercooler piping so I'm not sure how an additional .55" would fair. Getting the big stock cat out should help underhood temps along with DEI wrapping the RV6 one. Is the PRL inlet on back order or something? The Rampage one looks sick but is really expensive, as most of the inlet pipes are. I would just wrap mine is DEI gold reflective tape or get the PTP cover and call it a day, but there are definitely gains to be had with the aftermarket pipes, although gains do equate to more heat.
I've been researching radiators quite a bit the last few weeks. The largest so far I've seen fit is the Dream Automotive core which is 50mm thick. Maybe 57mm isn't outside the realm of things. Haven't had an opportunity to get the front bumper off to really measure things.

PWR on the other hand has two radiator options. If you're not familiar with PWR, they make high end cooling solutions for a bunch of race teams including Red Bull Racing F1. They're confident that their 42mm thick "Track" version radiator will work for my needs. Price I was quoted was around 1,166 USD shipped to California.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Completed a paint correction and ceramic coating on the driver side. For those that follow me on IG, my FK8 got vandalized several months ago. Ended up needing to get a new door skin and the drive side painted / blended. Getting it back to OEM+ essentially with Kamikaze Zipang ceramic coating. Mugen window visors also came in today. Took the car out for some quick pics and to play with my new Zeiss 55mm 1.8f lens. Lighting was super harsh. Oh well lol.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build JsS5agZ

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build IzTcUiF

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build g5btcLP

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Over the past couple of weeks I've been closely monitoring IAT temps after my intercooler install. I've got some consistent results to share.

I have a roughly 25-30 minute commute which is 90% highway and I travel around 75 MPH with light traffic. Here are my findings based off the Tunerview app by KTuner.

Throttle: 15%
IAT: ~10F above IAT 2
IAT 2: ~7F above ambient
ECT: 180F +/- 3F

It's been in the 60s and 70s here in NorCal and I haven't seen my IATs rise pass 110 and it only gets that high if I am letting it heat soak or coasting without any throttle. IAT can be reduced by more throttle pressure as well which is something to keep in mind. This is anecdotal evidence but it is very clear that my IATs drop way quicker compared to stock under acceleration. With my highway commute I am getting some really good temps with just the HKS IC, HKS piping kit, plus all of the other cooling mods I've done so far.

My RV6 DP and FP should be arriving soon along with the PWR Track radiator. Stay tuned for that.

Last edited:

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really curious to see about the PWR, I too was in contact with them and almost purchased the smaller version. Their claims are pretty strong about it. I have a Koyorad waiting to be installed, but may end up selling it if your results with the PWR are good.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Checked off another thing off my to-do list today. Installed new Sakebomb Garage 2 piece front rotors, Sakebomb Garage stainless steel brake lines, Akebono ASP1001 front brake pads, Project MU Club Racer rear pads, and Endless RF650 brake fluid.

My old rotors had already developed some moderate grooves after 12k miles. I still could have kept using them but there was light shuddering in the brake pedal due to pad deposits.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build jNV8hRR

OEM brake pads still have a decent amount of life after 12k miles and 2 track days on them. I was actually very surprised. Still usable and will keep them in case I need a back up set of pads. The rear was a bit more worn down than the front.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build ev115qF

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build WWZvoTC

These new SBG rotors are 2mm thicker while reducing weight! Roughly ~2 lbs lighter than stock can definitely be felt in the steering wheel. It will be my first time running these rotors and I think they will be very similar to Girodisc in terms of performance. My plan is to eventually replace the SBG rings for AP J-hooks when the time comes. Overall very pleased with the quality of the rotor. For the street, I paired up the rotors with Akebono ASP1001 brake pads. A few other CTR owners gave good reviews for a street pad with low noise, low dust, and good bite. After bedding the brakes, I have a bump in overall bite, better modulation, and less noise compared to stock. I have a set of Project Mu Racing 999 front pads with Titanium shims on the side for track days only. I feel this will prolong the life of my pads and my rotors by having two separate pads instead of a hybrid pad.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build ICEH0jT

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build RpEr0n1

The OEM rear rotors seemed to have plenty of life and didn't need to be replaced. I popped in some PMU CR pads for the rear since I had good luck with them prior. They offer good braking characteristics along with long life. I got away with nearly a dozen track days on my previous set and still had 40% of pad left.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build zXDhKwt

SBG brake line install was simple and straight forward. They seem very well made. Fit and finish was also spot on. SS lines supposedly firm up the pedal but I didn't experience that. It's possible that the Akebono pads are softer than stock which is why I am not feeling a firmer pedal. I'll update the thread after some track time with the PMU 999 pads to see if the feel changes. Ultimately this is a durability mod for me. I'd like to make sure the brakes stay consistent on track and these should definitely deliver.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build UDQr47S

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build FWcOzJ9

To top it all off, I bled the brakes and filled it with fresh Endless RF650 fluid. This will be very comparable to Castrol SRF but with more consistent pedal feel and better modulation. The SRF might last a big longer though. Again, I will update this thread with my impressions of the fluid once I get some track time with this setup.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lust's FK8 Civic Type R Track & Street Build BsvYpsL

Overall I am very pleased with the current setup. Low brake noise, low dust, better bite compared to OEM, and better pedal modulation.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Sweet brake job. Can't get over how expensive those rotors and the Girodiscs are. What made you go with the SBGs over the Girodiscs? Did you track on +R mode with VSA completely off? I've read that leaving VSA on can lead to the system wearing down the rear pads for brake vectoring. Forgive me if I forgot a previous writeup on them, but how were the stock pads on track? I've read that they could very well be Ferodo DS2500s or at least behave just like them. The PMu CRs are ok on the street? I had the HC+800s on my FRS and they dusted pretty bad and didn't seem to bite all that great either. Never took them to the track so I can't comment on their true stopping power though. Btw, your thread is one of the best on here. Super clean car, quality parts selection that mesh well, and well-documented with good writing and even better pics. Car is sick. Keep it up man, we need more build threads like yours.
Sponsored