The new NSX and CTR use 14x1.5 studs.
Sponsored

b534202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR WRX Legacy Hellcat LC500 GRC
Country flag
So all NSX owners have this problem? Or Acura dealerships have a special socket that you can't buy?

OP
OP
HRace

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
So all NSX owners have this problem? Or Acura dealerships have a special socket that you can't buy?
The NSX uses a lug bolt instead of a lug nut. The lug bolt used is a 17mm hex head. So the NSX wheel is designed around a 17mm socket. It’s easy to see why a 22mm socket is such a tight fit!

Last edited:

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1985 Supra endurance race car
Country flag
First review:

I contacted Danny early Sunday morning and he replied within 15 minutes! The order was shipped Tuesday due to a Monday holiday and arrived today (Thursday) via USPS Priority.

Well packaged with a bubble wrap envelope inside a small box. Each nut was individually bagged in a larger clear plastic bag.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! Pack%201-M

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! Pack%202-M

First order of business - weigh them!

OE chrome lug set for one wheel was 11.9 ounces. New Ti nut set was less than half of OE at 4.95 ounces.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! weight%20oe-M

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! weight%20ti-M

Please don't judge the cleanliness of the wheel and rust on the rotor...

OE wheel with chrome lugs.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! OE%20chrome-M

OE wheel with Ti lugs. They spun on smoothly and torqued easily to 94 lb/ft. I use an impact gun on the lowest setting to get the wheel aligned and the lugs lightly seated, then hit them again with a setting that takes them to about 75 lb/ft. I use a torque wrench to get the proper torque to finish the job.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! Ti%20black-M

Ti lugs sitting in an NSX wheel. There is a lot of room around a regular 19mm socket. I didn't have an impact socket handy but it looks like they won't be a problem either.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! NSX%20off%20car-M

Ti lugs on a mounted NSX wheel. The color of the Ti lugs is darker than my NSX wheel color with a semi-gloss finish. They are a lighter and less glossy shade of black than the OE wheels.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! NSX%20on%20car-M

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! NSX%20close-M

After 3 rounds of installation and torquing, including using the impact for removal, here's what they look like. This was using a 1/2" drive 12-point socket. I'm new to ball seats and don't have any idea if this seating pattern is normal. I did not drive the car with the lugs installed yet.

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! Seat%20pattern-M

Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! 3%20impacts-M

I'll update this post once I get some miles on them.

OP
OP
HRace

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
@revvhappy : thanks for the thorough impressions / reviews. Nice to see them finally installed! I actually like the shade of black when paired with the NSX wheels. Maybe someone with black OEM Honda lug nuts can post their wear pattern on the ball seat. For fun, I went and looked at a 9 year old RAYS aluminum lug nut (tapered unfortunately, so not a direct compare). Anyway...looks like mostly full contact but uneven coating removal. I am interested to see the wear pattern that occurs from the socket contact on these Ti lug nuts. I never liked the socket marks left on the aluminum rays lug nuts. Took a pic of that too for reference (probably installed / removed 25 times). Same as you, impact on low to seat the wheels and then to ~70 ft lbs, final torque by torque wrench. Did you use any Anti-Seize?
@xc1v1cx : nice pics! They look great. Thanks for posting them. Did you install with Anti-seize at all?

9 year old black aluminum lug nut (tapered, not ball seat) to compare to the wear images revvhappy posted.
Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! IMG_1019
Honda Civic 10th gen Lug nut solution for NSX wheels solved! IMG_1020

revvhappy

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1985 Supra endurance race car
Country flag
9-year old aluminum lugs? Wow.

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
I ordered a set of the Black Closed End 19mm Lug Nuts today from Danny. Got the discounted price. He shipped them out on his way into work!

Update: I received the lug nuts in 2 business days. Quality looks top notch. Once I get them swapped out I'll take some photos.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HRace

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Danny (Ti Porsche lug nuts) wanted me to post his recommended instructions: a dab of anti seize on the stud, and then thread them on by hand with a final torque with a torque wrench.

OP
OP
HRace

HRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
Danny is offering $20 off 5 more sets!
Any more installed pics? Impressions?

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
SOCKETS: My ultimate NSX lug nut intention was a 19mm lug nut, but for those who prefer to use 22mm OEM lug nuts, one socket I really have enjoyed is the Koken thin walled impact socket. I purchased both 19 and 22mm. I'm posting in this thread since it's related and I haven't seen this socket mentioned. It's a bit tough to find but easily one of the smallest diameter off the shelf solutions. Same as lug nuts, finding dimensions on advertised "thin wall" sockets is sometimes difficult and many thin walled sockets are actually pretty big! Koken has a plastic sleeve on this particular socket to avoid wheel damage, but it is removable (and needs to be removed) to use the 22mm socket in NSX wheels.

I found 29.5mm outside diameter to be the largest I'd comfortably be willing to install lug nuts into the NSX wheels with.

Diameter of Koken 22mm with sleeve: 30.5mm <won't work>
Diameter of Koken 22mm (sleeve removed): 29mm <will work>
Diameter of Koken 19mm with sleeve: 27.2mm <will work, but feels risky>
Diameter of Koken 19mm (sleeve removed): 25.7 <comfortable amount of clearance!>

In typical Japanese fashion, here is Koken's detailed diagram with dimensions of their thin walled impact sockets. They are available individually (~$20-25 shipped). Not cheap but it's a decent solution for 22mm thin walled sockets without having to turn a larger socket down on a lathe for those with no easy access to that solution.

This 22mm socket + black 22mm OEM Accessory lug nuts was going to be my solution if I was unable to find a lug nut that I was happy with. I'm still happy to have the 22mm socket in the tool box and I'll be using the 19mm now for all sets of wheels.

Website links tend to come and go for this so I would rather not post one that is not going to work in a month.

Koken thin walled impact sockets.png
Do typical tire shops have access to thin walled sockets? Considering the titanium lug nuts talked about in this thread too but I’m looking to switch out my wheels ASAP. :)
Sponsored