Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6 spd / 2019 Civic Coupe Sport CVT / 05 E46 M3 6MT Slicktop
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Finally got the Recaro Tomcat installed. Couldn’t fix mount the seat. The rounded black plastic bottom wouldn’t clear the Planted base. So I spent the 180 bucks on Recaro flat sliders, no tab with inside bar. The seat bottom catches the base a bit. Causing scuffing when moving forward and backward. But it’s ok. I’m the only one driving the car. Also got the MOMO Prototipo installed with the Works bell hub and Titanium screws.

Going to saw off the surface rusted dash metal pieces that aren’t structural and sand and rattle canthe rest sometime soon. Would like to mount the HVAC control better too. And clean up some stereo wiring by deleting it out of the harness.

Honda Civic 10th gen LTW Project - warning ugly car inside C9A30915-8C1C-412D-B3D7-643530A7BE04

Honda Civic 10th gen LTW Project - warning ugly car inside 93DAE186-7C6F-4CE7-8DA1-D570E09B6C35

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok so I’ve been slacking.
First, I sent the under hood dress up kit back. Kind of meh color and some parts were too tight of a fit. I guess I’m more go than show anyways. As evidenced by photo below. ?

I was looking into removal of rear 5 mph impact beam. The thing is steel and I was shocked when I weighed it 17 pounds!!
I removed the driver airbag and surrounding controls for phone and cruise control. That saved another 3.115 pounds. So today was a 20.3 lb loss. Not bad. That puts me at 2,473 lbs.

781E91C5-968A-4F02-818E-E702B4CA33AC.jpeg

6423AF10-CAC2-4D88-BDDE-7CE51B43DF0C.jpeg
That's a significant jump in weight savings this far into the game. 17lbs. Wow! With that removed from the rear, it will help your acceleration by keeping your front wheels planted better. Awesome!

Will keep an eye out on your seat results.

BTW: A little jealous you are so close to my 2015 Honda Fit's weight reduction. I was down to about 2350lbs. I didn't do nowhere near the things you have though, just really basic weight reduction stuff. That coupled with the power you are making is fantastic.

OP
OP
RS27

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That's a significant jump in weight savings this far into the game. 17lbs. Wow! With that removed from the rear, it will help your acceleration by keeping your front wheels planted better. Awesome!

Will keep an eye out on your seat results.

BTW: A little jealous you are so close to my 2015 Honda Fit's weight reduction. I was down to about 2350lbs. I didn't do nowhere near the things you have though, just really basic weight reduction stuff. That coupled with the power you are making is fantastic.
Thanks Myx! I don’t think the civic hog could get to 2350 with my plans. If I do a battery and A/C delete (heater core possibly), I should get real close to 2400 flat though.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome build man I love it, was never into the whole weight reduction build thing myself but I can always appreciate the hardwork that people do to achieve it.

How much of a difference do you notice now compared to when it was stock with everything still on it? Is your MPG generally better too?

OP
OP
RS27

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Awesome build man I love it, was never into the whole weight reduction build thing myself but I can always appreciate the hardwork that people do to achieve it.

How much of a difference do you notice now compared to when it was stock with everything still on it? Is your MPG generally better too?
thanks for stopping by.
when I was stock, I’d get 37.5-38 mpg digital gauge (real world 1mpg less).
I got 41.5-42 pre K Tuner. Now with cat delete and K Tuner 40-41. Pretty good.

Performance is hard to tell. It pulls *way* harder than stock. The power to weight stock is 17.35 lbs per hp.
I’m currently 14.1 lbs per hp (assuming 175 hp with downpipe and tune, some say higher).
14.1 is similar to the Si.

Narumi

First Name
Narumi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport, 2015 BRZ Premium, 1990 300ZX 2+2
Country flag
Wow, what an interesting build, I'm really enjoying your documentation of the process. Hello fellow local!?Hope to bump into you someday and see your project when it's completed.

Rnice

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe (Black)
Country flag
When you say the front grill is 'fading' do you mean the main 'no badge' grill you have on?
I love the look of that grill, I see it on the FKX site and it floats around ebay and amazon as well.

OP
OP
RS27

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wow, what an interesting build, I'm really enjoying your documentation of the process. Hello fellow local!?Hope to bump into you someday and see your project when it's completed.
Thanks for stopping by! I used to live in Hawaii Kai. Over by Koko Head. Have you done anything to your hatch?

When you say the front grill is 'fading' do you mean the main 'no badge' grill you have on?
I love the look of that grill, I see it on the FKX site and it floats around ebay and amazon as well.
Yeah, the FKX grill is sturdy, but the overall quality is still that of a China aftermarket part. The main grill didnot fade, the eyebrow extensions did badly. I just bought a shiny black OE part off a new Civic sport hatch and modified it a bit where the ends hit the sedans core support. Looks so much better.

Narumi

First Name
Narumi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport, 2015 BRZ Premium, 1990 300ZX 2+2
Country flag
What side of the island do you live on now?

Just had the AC go out on me! ? Replaced condenser and seals through warranty. The recall made no sense; my hatch is a 2018 and did not qualify for Honda's TSB despite it possessing the same issues as the affected vehicles.

Without my warranty I would had to have paid for repairs out of pocket because my "VIN not included" in the TSB.

I feel bad for the other owners whom will have to, or, had to pay out of pocket due to the faulty seal/parts issue. It is a fun car that produces great gas mileage even in traffic. I prefer driving the Civic over my Sentra (which barely achieves 22mpg!?).

I'll be popping in once and a while to check your progress and see your mpg numbers. I'm not super into 'hyper miling' but seeing what you accomplish is pretty cool.

Aloha!

P.S. I've been trying out AliExpress as an alternative to minimizing shipping costs on Amazon and Ebay. It seems like (more often that not) you are buying directly from manufacturers. AliExpress product pricing is a lot lower (for the same product on Ebay) but shipping costs ususally run around $50.

Items like your grille might be able to be found at a cheaper catch. However, their search tags suck. I've had to try several word searches in order to find a specific style of grille. Looks like some active ebay sellers are not cross platform soliciting.

Anyway, I know this build's purpose is not to add stuff but remove it! Haha. If you need to find parts for any of your other vehicles can check it out. Transactions process through Paypal so there is some sort of protection.

P.P.S. I love the Recaro Tomcats.

Last edited:

OP
OP
RS27

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What side of the island do you live on now?

Just had the AC go out on me! ? Replaced condenser and seals through warranty. The recall made no sense; my hatch is a 2018 and did not qualify for Honda's TSB despite it possessing the same issues as the affected vehicles.

Without my warranty I would had to have paid for repairs out of pocket because my "VIN not included" in the TSB.

I feel bad for the other owners whom will have to, or, had to pay out of pocket due to the faulty seal/parts issue. It is a fun car that produces great gas mileage even in traffic. I prefer driving the Civic over my Sentra (which barely achieves 22mpg!?).

I'll be popping in once and a while to check your progress and see your mpg numbers. I'm not super into 'hyper miling' but seeing what you accomplish is pretty cool.

Aloha!

P.S. I've been trying out AliExpress as an alternative to minimizing shipping costs on Amazon and Ebay. It seems like (more often that not) you are buying directly from manufacturers. AliExpress product pricing is a lot lower (for the same product on Ebay) but shipping costs ususally run around $50.

Items like your grille might be able to be found at a cheaper catch. However, their search tags suck. I've had to try several word searches in order to find a specific style of grille. Looks like some active ebay sellers are not cross platform soliciting.

Anyway, I know this build's purpose is not to add stuff but remove it! Haha. If you need to find parts for any of your other vehicles can check it out. Transactions process through Paypal so there is some sort of protection.

P.P.S. I love the Recaro Tomcats.
I live close to Waikiki on the Kapahulu side.
I am very familiar with the 10th Civic A/C issues. I agree, it is odd that most VIN’s are affected. Yet some don’t fall under the extended 10 year service bulletin 19-091. It is only considered a recall if all cars on the recall have a part or software update done even if not having problems. The A/C condenser is considered a warranty extension. Where it applies if the customer has a concern and is verified to be that exact cause.
I’m glad they fixed it.
Be careful with the Evaporator though too, those have been a problem too. Not to the level of the condenser concern. Compressors too somewhat.

Thanks for the recommendations on Ali Express. I’ve never tried it yet.

IonEX-T

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-t
Country flag
Really cool build! Might do something like this down the road. Keep us updated!

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you ever weigh your front passenger seat? I just looked through this thread 3x and I know I must've overlooked it somewhere. Can't find it.

OP
OP
RS27

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
37 lbs (actually kind of light).

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
RS27

RS27

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Finally installed the black out side molding trims I bought off a guy on Etsy. $40 bucks well spent. Looks a lot better. Also tried Bead Maker as a spray Sealant. Pretty slick.

Thinking about installing coilovers and transferring over the Eibach springs on the ladies Coupe Sport.

Honda Civic 10th gen LTW Project - warning ugly car inside 990DCC9B-F9D4-46F9-A08D-E77A81F6A9CE
Sponsored