Lowering Spring Install: Bolt Stuck

sirspazalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to working on cars and I'm currently in the process of lowering my 2017 Civic Si on D2 lowering springs.

However, we were able to get all the bolts off for the front Suspension except for the long bolt that goes through the back of the strut. This is the bolt that everyone says strips really easily, shouldn't be impacted, and should go in and out like butter.

I've tried everything from WD-40 to a breaker bar which bent all kinds of ways trying to get this bolt off. I'm letting it sit over night with WD-40 for now, not sure if other people have had trouble getting this bolt out and what methods worked best. It's both sides of the car that this bolt is stuck on hard. Couldn't get either to budge even a little pit. I can take a picture of the bolt if it is unclear which one I'm referring to.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Thatguyraw

I don’t own a civic
First Name
Raw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Toyota Tundra
Country flag

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Strut has to be unloaded!

Meaning you have to support (I used hydraulic floor jack) and thus, unload what is under strut mount, with pinch bolt loosen, so strut can be able to freely jiggle by hand, in which case, pinch bolt will not be loaded (bind) and can be freely removed.

HTH!

OP
OP
sirspazalot

sirspazalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Strut has to be unloaded!

Meaning you have to support (I used hydraulic floor jack) and thus, unload what is under strut mount, with pinch bolt loosen, so strut can be able to freely jiggle by hand, in which case, pinch bolt will not be loaded (bind) and can be freely removed.

HTH!
That makes a lot of sense thank you!

The above mentioned bolt has actually broken in half in the left side housing. Any advice on how to get it out and where to get a replacement bolt?

Last edited:

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
First you have to assure strut is no longer under load. And you need to work slow and deliberate.

Two extremes:-

If pinch bolt has suffered no damage other than a clean shear separation. Then, without thread tension, it is fairly straight forward with patience. Sometimes along with lubricant, you can turn it with a pick and back it out or go thru if it is only the threaded portion without the body and come out the other side.

Or, if stubborn, a slide fit sleeve drill guide can be made/fitted for an appropriate drill - either right or left hand drill bit, drill slowly/deliberately, so drill's cutting front edge can "catch" irregular face on broken bolt, either drill will either push or pull the broken half thru the hole.

Maybe someone more wise can come up with a better in between suggestion/solution.

Regarding replacement, OEM Vendor!

Good luck!

OP
OP
sirspazalot

sirspazalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
First you have to assure strut is no longer under load. And you need to work slow and deliberate.

Two extremes:-

If pinch bolt has suffered no damage other than a clean shear separation. Then, without thread tension, it is fairly straight forward with patience. Sometimes along with lubricant, you can turn it with a pick and back it out or go thru if it is only the threaded portion without the body and come out the other side.

Or, if stubborn, a slide fit sleeve drill guide can be made/fitted for an appropriate drill - either right or left hand drill bit, drill slowly/deliberately, so drill's cutting front edge can "catch" irregular face on broken bolt, either drill will either push or pull the broken half thru the hole.

Maybe someone more wise can come up with a better in between suggestion/solution.

Regarding replacement, OEM Vendor!

Good luck!
I was able to thread the end of the bolt out with some pliers after letting some PB Blaster work, turned out to be a much easier job than I expected. The simple solutions often work best.

I’ve also ordered 2 new bolts through Honda, one as a replacement and one as a spare. Thank you for your help!

VAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I was able to thread the end of the bolt out with some pliers after letting some PB Blaster work, turned out to be a much easier job than I expected. The simple solutions often work best.

I’ve also ordered 2 new bolts through Honda, one as a replacement and one as a spare. Thank you for your help!
Do you have the part number for the bolts?

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I know you solved your issue, but mine came out with no issues. I think (stating the obvious at this point) it has to do with where you're located, snow, salt = corrosion that's making the bolt hard to remove.
Sponsored