Rowdy444

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic lx
Country flag
I have bc coilovers br series n im just wondering to lower the rear suspension am i just adjusting the springs? And for which way to lower it?
Sponsored

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have bc coilovers br series n im just wondering to lower the rear suspension am i just adjusting the springs? And for which way to lower it?
When you adjust the rear springs, you'll turn the jam nuts so that the spring perch seats further into the spring (less threds visible). The direction depends on whether your perch is located at the top or bottom. (Note: There isn't really a right or wrong direction for the rear spring perch, but if it's at the top, you have total access to the adjustment nuts. At the bottom, the perch seats into the suspension arm and you can't get the spanner wrenches in there.)

Once you set the rear height, you also need to adjust the strut preload. There are videos on how to do it, but you basically pull the lower strut bolt to let the lower suspension arm hang. Then jack the arm up slowly until your spring is just touching the bushings at top and bottom, then compress another 3/8". Once compressed, with the strut fully extended, loosen the strut jam nuts and adjust the strut so that the eye bolt aligns to the mounting hole and bolt it in, then retighten the jam nuts. Don't force the bolt alignment by compressing the strut. It should go in easily if aligned right.

If you adjust the front, you don't adjust the preload, just the spring perch using the strut body threads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rowdy444

Rowdy444

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic lx
Country flag
When you adjust the rear springs, you'll turn the jam nuts so that the spring perch seats further into the spring (less threds visible). The direction depends on whether your perch is located at the top or bottom. (Note: There isn't really a right or wrong direction for the rear spring perch, but if it's at the top, you have total access to the adjustment nuts. At the bottom, the perch seats into the suspension arm and you can't get the spanner wrenches in there.)

Once you set the rear height, you also need to adjust the strut preload. There are videos on how to do it, but you basically pull the lower strut bolt to let the lower suspension arm hang. Then jack the arm up slowly until your spring is just touching the bushings at top and bottom, then compress another 3/8". Once compressed, with the strut fully extended, loosen the strut jam nuts and adjust the strut so that the eye bolt aligns to the mounting hole and bolt it in, then retighten the jam nuts. Don't force the bolt alignment by compressing the strut. It should go in easily if aligned right.

If you adjust the front, you don't adjust the preload, just the spring perch using the strut body threads.
I just wanna slightly lower it, my spring perch sits above the springs but when I adjust the ring locks is the perch supposed to be moving the direction im turning the locks…. If not what am i doing wrong cuz i saw no change when doing that

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just wanna slightly lower it, my spring perch sits above the springs but when I adjust the ring locks is the perch supposed to be moving the direction im turning the locks…. If not what am i doing wrong cuz i saw no change when doing that
You need to reduce the distance between the the top of the spring and the top of the spring perch to lower the car. This should mean you'll turn the nuts counter clockwise to sink more collar threads into the spring. You should be measuring and/or counting the threads and marking on the collar the amount you plan on lowering before adjusting. Just remember to readjust the preload afterwards or you won't see the right amount of drop and could damage the strut internals.
Sponsored