Low Voltage issue

Pilotman11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic EX
Hey everyone! A few days ago I was driving my 2016 EX and parked for 10 minutes to come back to find the car would not start, every light / warning came up on the dash, could not shift out of park ( had to bypass it to neutral ) and after failed attempts to start it, I had to have it towed to a dealer.

According to them it was low voltage, by my question is how that happened. I had my car sit for 4 days at an airport and I drove it back home that same day - a few hours before the problem happened. Not one problem driving back. Even if the battery was low it would’ve charged during the 2 hour drive right? I’ve had it sit for 3 weeks before and no problems. Yet I have it sit for 10 minutes to go for a walk and it suddenly has low voltage and refuses to start. What could cause that?

The dealer had to do a full reset of the system and the battery tested okay. I’m a little scared to drive my Civic far from home because of that problem. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hey everyone! A few days ago I was driving my 2016 EX and parked for 10 minutes to come back to find the car would not start, every light / warning came up on the dash, could not shift out of park ( had to bypass it to neutral ) and after failed attempts to start it, I had to have it towed to a dealer.

According to them it was low voltage, by my question is how that happened. I had my car sit for 4 days at an airport and I drove it back home that same day - a few hours before the problem happened. Not one problem driving back. Even if the battery was low it would’ve charged during the 2 hour drive right? I’ve had it sit for 3 weeks before and no problems. Yet I have it sit for 10 minutes to go for a walk and it suddenly has low voltage and refuses to start. What could cause that?

The dealer had to do a full reset of the system and the battery tested okay. I’m a little scared to drive my Civic far from home because of that problem. Any ideas?
Did they test the alternator?

P.S. Always carry jumper cables so you don't have to worry, even if it goes dead again.

ElementalHonda

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe, 2010 Accord Crosstour, 2008 Civic LX Coupe(Totaled), 2005 Acura TL(Sold), 1996 Accord EX Coupe
Country flag
OEM honda batteries are known to be trash. My 2010 Crosstour and last Civic both had their batteries fail within the first 6-12 months of owning the car. :dunno:

Replaced both batteries with aftermarket after the honda one died and they both lasted 4+ years. :thumbsup:
Sponsored