Low tire pressure issue

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
less than 100 miles on the SI and low tire pressure light came on. Checked all the wheels and they are all between 34-37. anyone have this issue?
Sponsored

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
less than 100 miles on the SI and low tire pressure light came on. Checked all the wheels and they are all between 34-37. anyone have this issue?
When I bought the Accord I was told the TPS might go off while breaking in, and that if all checks out just reset it and move along. I don't recall the reasoning but it seemed commonplace and of little concern to the sales guy. Basically he said "When (not if) it happens, just reset it." I never had the issue crop up, so I don't know how to reset it, but my brother experienced it on his 2014 civic when new and his got over it.

Last oil change, while waiting at the service center, I heard quite a discussion between service guy and septagenarian lady customer. She kept insisting "its brand new, no lights should be coming on" and he kept insisting "I understand. We've checked all the tire pressure, its all fine, its nothing to worry about". She was quite upset and was sure to say so, and he was very patiently trying to assuage her concerns.

So, well, that's what I know about it. Your mileage may vary. :)

OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I bought the Accord I was told the TPS might go off while breaking in, and that if all checks out just reset it and move along. I don't recall the reasoning but it seemed commonplace and of little concern to the sales guy. Basically he said "When (not if) it happens, just reset it." I never had the issue crop up, so I don't know how to reset it, but my brother experienced it on his 2014 civic when new and his got over it.

Last oil change, while waiting at the service center, I heard quite a discussion between service guy and septagenarian lady customer. She kept insisting "its brand new, no lights should be coming on" and he kept insisting "I understand. We've checked all the tire pressure, its all fine, its nothing to worry about". She was quite upset and was sure to say so, and he was very patiently trying to assuage her concerns.

So, well, that's what I know about it. Your mileage may vary. :)

good to hear then. I figured as much but being one of the first SIs out I wouldn't be surprised if there were some bugs

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The dealer may have failed to perform the TPMS calibration during PDI.

1. Set the cold tire pressures per the label on the driver's doorjamb (33 PSI front and 32 PSI rear - the dealer left mine set at 40 PSI "shipping pressure" despite having checked the box on the PDI that says they adjusted them to the doorjamb label specs).

2. From the touch screen, select HOME > Settings > Vehicle > TPMS Calibration > Calibrate.

Note: The Civic does not have actual tire pressure sensors. Instead, it compares the rotational speed of each tire. An underinflated tire will turn slightly faster than the others. The system cannot detect if all four tires are equally low, so it's important to regularly check and adjust the pressure. Refer to page 477 of the Owner's Manual for more information.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlackedoutFC1

BlackedoutFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The dealer may have failed to perform the TPMS calibration during PDI.

1. Set the cold tire pressures per the label on the driver's door jamb (33 PSI front and 32 PSI rear for the all-season tires).

2. From the touch screen, select HOME > Settings > Vehicle > TPMS Calibration > Calibrate.

Note: The Civic does not have actual tire pressure sensors. Instead, it compares the rotational speed of each tire. An underinflated tire will turn slightly faster than the others. The system cannot detect if all four tires are equally low, so it's important to regularly check and adjust the pressure. Refer to page 477 of the Owner's Manual for more information.
not surprised they didn't do the calibration. I was doing paperwork to buy it while it came off the truck.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
They must be set to 33 front and 32 rear... Your pressures are all over the place. It apparently won't accept a difference of 3 psi between left and right tire of the same axle.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
They must be set to 33 front and 32 rear... Your pressures are all over the place. It apparently won't accept a difference of 3 psi between left and right tire of the same axle.
You could have four different pressures and four different levels of treadwear on the same vehicle without getting a "low tire" light provided the system was calibrated at those four different levels. It's a dumb system that doesn't measure actual pressure either directly or indirectly. All it knows is how fast a tire rotates. That's why the calibration is necessary - to teach the system how fast each tire rotates relative to the others. Even identical tires with identical pressures can have very slight differences in rotational speed while driving down the road.

Personally, I'm not fond of indirect tire pressure monitoring systems because of their inconvenience and limitations. Manufacturers use them (mostly on lower-cost vehicles) because they satisfy the government's requirement for a tire pressure monitoring system but without the need for any additional hardware (sensors, antennae, receivers, wiring, etc.). GM has been using indirect systems for well over 20 years. My 1999 Buick Regal had one.
Sponsored