gatorcivic

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
How is a high load/ low RPM situation bad for the clutch in manual transmission? I know the clutch is relatively weak on this car and I have seen many others on the forum post about accelerating hard at lower RPM is bad for the clutch. I understand how its also bad for other parts of the engine like connecting rods and how it might cause pre-ignition, but assuming the clutch is not actively slipping from the engine having too much torque what would cause wear/damage to the clutch? I thought you caused clutch wear anytime the clutch slips; like any normal speed take off from 0mph (minuscule wear), letting the clutch out 200 rpm too soon in a regular shift (minuscule wear), or a hard launch dumping the clutch from 4,000 rpm (a lot of wear)

P.S. I don’t do this so don’t roast me, I am just curious because it does not make sense.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Boost builds based on load. The drivetrain stress is higher at low ROMs when applying torque. It is not just the clutch that is at risk.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
The 1.5T has a good, swift and smooth engagement at 1500 rpm, but I often engage at 1200 when the engine is at operational temperature and the clutch is heated up to decrease the amount of slip. Any lower than 1200, it bogs down.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
How is a high load/ low RPM situation bad for the clutch in manual transmission? I know the clutch is relatively weak on this car and I have seen many others on the forum post about accelerating hard at lower RPM is bad for the clutch. I understand how its also bad for other parts of the engine like connecting rods and how it might cause pre-ignition, but assuming the clutch is not actively slipping from the engine having too much torque what would cause wear/damage to the clutch? I thought you caused clutch wear anytime the clutch slips; like any normal speed take off from 0mph (minuscule wear), letting the clutch out 200 rpm too soon in a regular shift (minuscule wear), or a hard launch dumping the clutch from 4,000 rpm (a lot of wear).
The exact RPM you engage the clutch is not always the same and it's not the most important factor. Your road speed, incline of the vehicle, how close some asshole is behind you at a stop light -- these factors determine the throttle and RPM necessary and whatever wear occurs during the proper maneuver is normal.

You don't want to engage the clutch too fast when the rolling resistance is high. For example, you're starting from a speed of 0. You only need enough throttle/RPM to smoothly engage the clutch without shock to the drivetrain, bogging down the engine or slipping the clutch more than necessary. The faster you're rolling/moving, the quicker, or less you slip the clutch between gears.

When the clutch is cold, you will need to slip more, because it doesn't grip as well. When you're at operating temperatures, you will need to slip less. If you overheat the clutch, it will be faded and won't grip as much during engagement; and when it's hot, this is when the most clutch disc wear occurs. Do not overheat the clutch or you will see a clutch replacement a lot sooner than necessary. A clutch can be very hot and not have any significant wear when it is fully engaged. It's only when you're slipping it hot does it wear faster.

The friction disc is not the only component of the clutch you have to be concerned with. The "relaxed" position of the clutch is fully engaged. Slipping the clutch too much and holding down the clutch pedal for extended periods of time wear out the pressure plate and the throwout bearing.

Accelerating hard at low RPM is not specifically bad for your clutch if it's fully engaged - I'm not sure why anyone would say otherwise. Once it's fully clamped, it does not slip unless you've put performance upgrades onto the car (reported by Hondata), or, if the pressure plate is wearing or worn out, etc. It's hard on the engine, transmission, differential, axles, tires..
Sponsored

Last edited: