First Name
Rav1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 touring
Country flag
Low Engine Idle Solution:

Issue: Low engine idle (most observed in hot weather, it comes and goes) car vibrates rough idle at 600rpm. CVT rough response and car jerks very little during RUN and STOP.
(NOTE: The best rpm are 800rpm or 900rpm)
(This is the issue in my 2016 Honda Civic Touring TURBO 1.5Liter)

I fixed it by following the solution i have found. It works for me, hope for you gys too.

SOLUTION:

1. Press the button FRONT defrost inside the weather control switch. The Low engine idle e.g. 600 rpm will become immediately 800-850rpm. Engine power will be constant and CVT transmission will response immediately. works 100% till you have FRONT weather Defrost button ON.

2. Press ON the AUTO = Auto control weather and SYNC = Synchronize control weather buttons. The Low engine idle e.g. 600 rpm will become immediately 800rpm. Engine power will be good and CVT transmission will response good. Works 95% till both buttons are ON.

- It looks there is a connection between some of the power functions with engine & CVT power. If you go to dealer they will not fix it. they will play with you and try to get money out of you, that problems of spark plug, filter, injector, software, carburetor, bad gas, timing belt etc. etc.

- Request: Some one please write to Honda engineers or the CEO of Honda company to fix properly.
Sponsored

Rav1

First Name
Rav1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 touring
Country flag

Issue: Low engine idle (most observed in hot weather, it comes and goes) car vibrates rough idle at 600rpm. CVT rough response and car jerks very little during RUN and STOP.

I fixed it by following the solution i have found. It works for me, hope for you gys too.

SOLUTION:

1. Press the button FRONT defrost inside the weather control switch. The Low engine idle e.g. 600 rpm will become immediately 800-850rpm. Engine power will be constant and CVT transmission will response immediately. works 100% till you have FRONT weather Defrost button ON.

2. Press ON the AUTO = Auto control weather and SYNC = Synchronize control weather buttons. The Low engine idle e.g. 600 rpm will become immediately 800rpm. Engine power will be good and CVT transmission will response good. Works 95% till both buttons are ON.

- It looks there is a connection between some of the power functions with engine & CVT power. If you go to dealer they will not fix it. they will play with you and try to get money out of you, that problems of spark plug, filter, injector, software, carburetor, bad gas, timing belt etc. etc.

- Request: Some one please write to Honda engineers or the CEO of Honda company to fix properly.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Hey guys, not sure if I'm the only one with the problem but for the past few days, my engine seems to be idling really low. Normally the car idles at 800 RPMs but I've been idling at 600 RPM's lately. I notice because the car vibrates more so than it would if it idled at 800 RPM.

Two days ago I changed the oil on my Civic with Mobil1 0W-20 oil, like the car recommends. I also added a K&N oil filter during the process. I doubt this is the cause as to why the car idles so low. I've linked the oil below.

It has been getting colder where I live, though not that cold (45 degrees Fahrenheit).

Is there a computer problem with the car? A mechanical issue? Should I take it to the dealership and have them check it out?

Thanks for any responses.

The oil I used:
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance
When is the last time you checked your air filter?

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
This isn't a solution, its a workaround... this is not acceptable.. I have requested a Field Tech to take a seat in my car next time hes at the dealership,

PuddleOfFat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I adjusted my idle to 650rpm with FlashPro and its much better now. Factory idle is 620 with no load

if you have your climate control on/headlights on. it will raise your idle up since it draws more power
How do you know the factory idle? I’ve been looking online and can’t find any official documents stating it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
How do you know the factory idle? I’ve been looking online and can’t find any official documents stating it.
He used a Hondata Flashpro tuning device. My KTuner device also shows stock idle speed. The cool thing with a tuner is it gives you the ability to adjust idle speed which is an awesome feature in addition to all the go fast abilities.

Factory idle speed at normal operating temps on my '17 is only 630 rpm. These low idle speed numbers were used by Honda to squeeze out a little more mileage.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Honda field tech and my dealership state this low idle is within factory specs.. this is BS , my car vibrates and rattles so badly I hate it.. Even my 12 year old made a comment about it, .. I might have to sell this car..

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a 2019 1.5T and I have noticed a weird pattern. When idling at a stop (D, Econ) the idle drops to about 600rpm and when rolling with no acceleration it instantly jumps up to about 800-900. Is that just the behavior of the CVT? Normal sequential tranny cars I driven don't do that unless there is a load.

Garbanzo

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex
Country flag

SOLUTION:

This worked, but there’s no way in order to get rid of the low idle we have to keep the fan on 24/7

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the issue is not really an issue. Because it’s a CVT there might not be a torque converter. So like a manual it might be disengaging the transmission at idle. With no load the rpm might be dipping? Not sure if anyone can confirm that.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I think the issue is not really an issue. Because it’s a CVT there might not be a torque converter. So like a manual it might be disengaging the transmission at idle. With no load the rpm might be dipping? Not sure if anyone can confirm that.
My car didn't start doing this till 35,000 miles or so? maybe less. I know damn well if it did this before I bought it I would have not bought this car. Its very annoying and I hate it, my 12 year old daughter even asked me why my car shakes likes this. We had a Honda field rep at my dealership group and they were told its normal and at Honda specs. Bullshit, I hate this , it ruins my experience with this car.

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My car didn't start doing this till 35,000 miles or so? maybe less. I know damn well if it did this before I bought it I would have not bought this car. Its very annoying and I hate it, my 12 year old daughter even asked me why my car shakes likes this. We had a Honda field rep at my dealership group and they were told its normal and at Honda specs. Bullshit, I hate this , it ruins my experience with this car.
I am at 25k miles and haven't had any violent shakes. Just small rumbles but it settles usually.

My dad's rav4 had really bad low idle problems due to carbon build up. Had to routinely clean the throttle body, MAF sensor to get it to stop. Maybe you could check if the throttle body is dirty? Not sure if that would be a solution for the Civic, I haven't had to do any work on mine yet.

Shielth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic hatchback
Country flag
Mine is only 5k miles and i already noticed it dips down to 600 or less. Sometimes feels like its gonna stall, don’t like it either

austin21

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I am at 25k miles and haven't had any violent shakes. Just small rumbles but it settles usually.

My dad's rav4 had really bad low idle problems due to carbon build up. Had to routinely clean the throttle body, MAF sensor to get it to stop. Maybe you could check if the throttle body is dirty? Not sure if that would be a solution for the Civic, I haven't had to do any work on mine yet.
Did you ever figure out anything about this issue?

I am having same issue when coming to a stop, sometimes car will idle at 600 unless i turn the A/C on. I always have the air on so i am thinking its the IAC Valve. 57k on the odomenter.

I have changed spark plugs, oil change, transmission fluid change, cleaned MAF, reset PCM by leaving battery unplugged. Still does it.
Sponsored